1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Your 2021 Steelers Portfolio

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Jun 6, 2021.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Google him. He bounced all over college football, usually staying in a job for 1 or 2 yrs. Half the time, he got fired. Half the time he leveraged a good season to a better job. He was at Pitt (I think) one year, had success and became OC at LSU. And they fired him fairly quickly. Why is he is with the Steelers? Probably, he was looking for a job and someone remembered him fondly at Pitt. You know how recent Stiller job searches go: 1) is the guy from W Pa? 2) does he have other local ties? All other need not apply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Canada can't be any worse than Fichtner

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ve posted this before. I had an old boss who would say thst people who thought things couldnt get worse had limited imaginations. I dont know Canada will be worse, but the local expectation is that he will be ALOT better. Sorry, don’t see it. The defacto OC is still here: Big Ben. And at 39, he ain’t changin for nobody.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I didn't think much of Fichtner. But I do think he was a pretty convenient fall guy for last season.

I am guessing the 2021 offense is going to look a lot like the 2020 offense did. Matt Canada is going to have the same limitations that Randy Fichtner did. You have a near 40 year old QB, who doesn't want to get hit, and only wants to operate out of the shotgun. Add in the fact that your O-line is suspect, and I am not even sure Bill Wash could be an effective OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If Najee gets 20 touches a game the offense will be better, unless the touches are all passes. I am hoping Dotson, Banner, and possibly Green transform the run game. But if Ben is sacked 3 times or more in a game, the old offense will be back in the playbook. The way TJ Watt was getting held last year, our o-line should be fine, if holding calls aren't flagged again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    OK, I just did Google him and there has to be something more than what Joe Public fan like myself is privy to.

He gets a gig at LSU...that is getting a huge break.

Big Ben must have pimped him hard. I just hope he won't be Bens lapdog though.

Im usually an "In the front office I trust" type but I assumed he had a lot more actual experience at the pro level and was effective with running some type of offensive philosophy that earned him the position.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am taking a wait and see approach. This is his first experience as an NFL OC. The bar wasn't set very high last year. Hopefully he makes a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    In spite of what some old wiseman on top of the mountain that said people who say it can’t be worse lack imagination, it really won’t be worse.

The short sample size we saw last year was working well until they abandoned it. He wasn’t the OC, wasn’t his call to stop using the pre snap motion. What he does isn’t revolutionary, it just allows them to find mismatches and exploit them.

Apparently though, Canada is some hack that moved around some, coaches never do that, he must be bad at what he does.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Background on Matt Canada.

Canada joined the Steelers in 2020 from the college ranks where he had two decades of experience as a quarterbacks' coach and offensive coordinator and was a finalist for the Broyles Award in 2016, an honor given to the top assistant coach in college football.

His track record in college included his offensive units setting school records at multiple stops in his career, including Indiana, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin and Pittsburgh, as well as at the University of Maryland in 2018 when he was the interim head coach.

Canada served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks' coach at LSU in 2017, helping to guide quarterback Danny Etling to a strong season where he threw 16 touchdowns and only two interceptions, while LSU finished the season ranked No. 1 in the country for fewest turnovers.

Canada spent the 2016 season at the University of Pittsburgh as offensive coordinator, and the Panthers averaged a school-record 42 points per game. Pitt led the nation in red-zone touchdown percentage (82%) and scored at least 28 points in all 12 regular season games, including a 43-42 victory at eventual national champion Clemson.

While he was at NC State (2013-15) he coached quarterback Jacoby Brissett, who threw 43 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions over a two-year period under his guidance. The Wolkpack finished third in the ACC in scoring offense in 2015 and scored the most points (41) in the regular season against College Football Playoff finalist Clemson.

Canada served a critical role in leading Wisconsin to a Big Ten Championship and Rose Bowl berth in 2012. The Badgers finished No. 12 nationally in rushing offense and Montee Ball won the Doak Walker Award as the nation's top running back.

Prior to joining the Wisconsin staff, Canada led offenses at both Northern Illinois (2003, 2011) and Indiana (2007-10). In 2011, the Huskies won the MAC championship and finished in the top 12 nationally in scoring offense, total offense and rushing offense. Canada guided an offense that scored a school-record 412 points at Indiana in 2007, and three different quarterbacks each ranked among the top three in single-season passing touchdowns, passing yards and completion percentage.

Scrub.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Who's ND?

11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    HC Hold
    OC Hold
    DC Sell
    QB Sell

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/06/b...tt-canada-have-been-constantly-communicating/

it's not just about canada. we have changed not only OC, but two new ( i think pretty good) o-line coaches, one new TE coach, one new (again i think pretty good) QB coach, a fairly new WR coach. this all has to mesh together. this alone i believe is forcing ben to learn with them and buy into this system. if you read it they are putting in some of what ben likes and some of what canada likes and why not? he is a veteran, franchise QB. he should have some say in the new offense or at least an opinion about it. brady did with BAs offense in tampa. this probably won't be a 1 year install because of all the moving parts. as some players change and the offense evolves and the coaches evolve with it, we will see dividends. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also 2 add 2 this some act like the offense was trash all season last year.
    I don't see it.
    I know we had a collapse, but it was far from trash.
    I can think of a lot of teams that wish their offense ran as well as our be4 the collapse.
    If the new OC can bring in New wrinkles, We add a better Running game, and we can avoid a collapse...Well ...I don't see how we won't be better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    People who don’t think things could be worse lack imagination.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben won't be as in charge like he was with Fichtner, with Najee on the team Ben won't be throwing 40-50 times a game.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It was reported that Ben was taking snaps from under center at OTAs, well you're guessing wrong then because players have said this is a whole new offense. Fichtner made no adjustments when teams took away their short routes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think the Ben controls everything narrative is being overplayed.

Financially, they could have gotten the Ben deal done very quickly, it didn’t because I believe they were seriously considering moving on from him. I’m positive that him coming back was on the condition that he be willing to adapt to a new playbook.

Ben is on his last year, his leverage is gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i disagree. art 2 loves ben. maybe to a fault.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    And he did him a solid bringing him back. Rest is up to Canada and Tomlin.