1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Young players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Oct 28, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Should we skip preseason every year? Is it me or are more of the young players playing better then in years where we get to see them for four games first. Should we just mix them in with the vets right off the bat?:cool:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't expect much from the rookies early in the season, because of no mini camp or preseason games, they have stepped up big time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Don't think that would be a smart thing to do. Seems there are many more injuries than normal and going full go right off the bat may be a contributing factor. Also, how much talent is not being thoroughly evaluated and given a chance without some game experience to judge by? Do you think MLB , NBA, NHL are wasting their time as well? I do feel that the number of preseason games is too many but feel 2 would be a good compromise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    maybe a lot of those injuries happened in preseason?

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cut it down to 2... maybe 3 preseason games at most. Steelers usually get stuck with 5 counting HOF game since they own an entire wing of Canton.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think pre-season contact gets them in shape and potentially reduces injuries but you bring up an interesting point.

I think we all believed, after last year, that we had one shot to win it all before Ben retires but this team has some nice young talent and I hope the Steelers are able to finagle a way to go get the next elite QB when Ben retires. If they try to win with any QB on our current roster it will be a waste of 4-5 years of good talent.

Even if we have to give up some good talent elsewhere, having an elite QB is the key to sustained success.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You brought up a very interesting point mac. The rookies and players that are usually on the bubble were virtually thrown right into the league this year and for our team at least, they are showing an extreme ease of conversion to the NFL. Our team, knock on wood, have been mostly injury free as well besides Devin's devastating injury.

Maybe the transition is easier because of the amount of training camp and preseason where the young players are overthinking the game too much. I honestly don't know but scaling it back a bunch should be on the table in the future just from the results that the limited organized participation has presented itself thus far.

One thing I have been advocating for years though is the need to cut down preseason games from 4 or 5 down to 2 maximum. The teams are already spent physically and emotionally by the time that first game rolls around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The NFL is all about the $$$$$$. While I agree 100% they should only have 2 preseason games, I can't see them doing it. I imagine if I live long enough I'll see the only 2 game preseason followed by an 18 game regular season.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Most of my reason for this thread is the high amount of playing time our young players are receiving compared to prior years. Are the coaches over evaluating these young guys too much with extended preseason? Seems like a new approach to playing time without game experience this year more then other years. Is it just a more talented group then in the past? It sure hasn't seemed to big for any of them. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  10. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    There is such a thing as game shape. I have seen most players get into game football shape, there bodies actually get a little harder and tougher from the getting hit and you hitting them. I would think this helps more in the soft tissue end and maybe on how they land to soften the blow on their bodies.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Im not a fan of the pre-season. Fans use the pre-season for rookie talent evaluation. Coaches use practice and filmwork for talent evaluations. I think the thought that the lack of a pre-season was going to cost young players, spots on teams was overrated.

There needs to be a pre-season going forward. But 2 games is plenty. I for one would love to see a 2 game pre-season and an 18 game regular season with an expanded roster.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm a fan of the preseason, I like seeing the rookies out there, they could cut it from 4 to 2 games though.

13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Other than simulating the physicality of full contact in a game situation, pre-season isn't necessary. Teams still have months to prepare/evaluate.

All teams will adjust to the pre-season based on 0, 2, or 4 games, accordingly. They adjust preseason starters/playing time based on need and prepare their teams for the opening game based on number of preseason games. They just play the cards they are dealt. Like has been said already, it's about money, not health or quality of play. That's up to the teams to figure out.

• Agree Agree x 1