1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You can't hold Tomlin accountable for his players

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Sep 18, 2018.

1. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    It's not his fault Bell and now AB are acting like divas. It's on the players to play. Tomlin's not responsible for that.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Shut up

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin's utter disregard for discipline or holding players accountable for his entire tenure here has lead to these kinds of shenanigans.He has fostered a "me first," "this is just a business" attitude.

Yes you can blame him.

Blow it all up. Fire all the coaches. Trade away any good player over 25. Rebuild. Maybe we can be competitive again by 2022. (Joking. Mostly. I think...)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The current Bell holdout excluded, you absolutely hold the coach accountable. That's like saying your boss isn't responsible for your coworkers skipping work and screwing off all the time. It's literally his job to control them, or discipline them when they're misbehaving.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I think a certain someone like's making new topics to post in;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. shadowmaker

shadowmaker Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    How come there are no divas in NE? Do you think Belicheat would have allowed a phone in the locker room? Heck do you think any of his players are stupid enough to even think it was ok.

DL, BA, TH, all gone and the problem is still there. There is 1 common person that is not gone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just when one Wack disappears another tenacious one shows up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Does the D stand for delusional :shrug::smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    image.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Colbert should go. He's drafting players and Tomlin is just going along with him. Tomlin has to coach these players so why not allow him to draft players of his coaching style?.
    Remember, Cowher had this same problem

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Colbert is not singlehandedly drafting players. There is input from a lot of people including Tomlin. Like I've said its not like by some strange reason we can only draft offense. We can draft defense too they just aren't being taught by the same caliber of coaches as the offense...they are not being put in position to succeed and our game plans and scheme are doomed to fail before we,even hit the field. Didn't you read what Dupree said? and when they figured out how wrong they were ,what was plan B. There was none....

Edit: oh and what exactly is his coaching style?

13. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Mrs. Tomlin is that you??

14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He's more of a Tony Dungy type coach. I've been saying this for years

15. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    doesn't happen on championship contending teams, because they have team FIRST players.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm not sure what that means....is he just a figurehead that needs very good coordinators to run the O and D and he just runs daily operations. I'm being curious because you said we need to draft players to fit his coaching style.

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Tomlin? From what I’ve read about him, Dungy is very much a details guy.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Exactly, when coach Tomlin first took over ... did anyone notice that, he didn't bring his own staff in? He kept what was already in place. He would've kept the Wiz and Grimm ... if they didn't get ticked off because they didnt get the head coaching job. They left to go to cardinals

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Rescind Bell. Trade Brown.

I'd rather go with players that can be coached then the headcases.

Give me more Ju Ju's, James Washington's, and Jame's Conner.

Send a message to the locker room.

Antonio Brown has one day to apologize or be off the team.

In a dream where I'm coach

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    First time, long time.

The comparison with NE in this regard, i.e. team discipline, is a non-starter for me. The difference is that Belichick has all the power there. He can cut, trade, waive anyone he pleases at a moment's notice. Tomlin can't even fire or retain coordinators. You can't expect Belichick like control without Belichick like authority. If anything the fact that the Rooneys allow Ben to name his OC has undermined Tomlin's authority to some degree. Everyone has to toe the line at NE because Belichick has the final say. Not the case here. Tomlin still has to answer to Colbert and Art II and the players, especially the stars, know it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I hate using NE as an example, but you don't see this garbage up there. That team strives on discipline on and off the field. It all starts with a hard ass coach. This team lacks that. While I agree partially, he's the leader of this team.

22. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    He's the head coach, accountability begins and ends with him. It's an integral part of the job and it's understood by those who choose to accept the opportunity.

:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Very impressive indeed.

Have to say, among all the comments you have made this year, this one takes it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Concur with Big Boss.

Tomlin needs to batten down the proverbial hatches and reintroduce, to the players, the systemic hierarchy within the NFL.

1.) Owner

2.) General Manager

3.) Coaches

4.) Players

All in that order. Rules and guidelines are barriers that protect all forms of society from discending into absolute chaos and disorder. NFL Teams are no different; arguably far more magnified than any other professional team based sport on the planet no less.

If one does not adhear to these rules, they need disciplined at once. If the acts continue, terminate them.

25. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I’m a big Tomlin fan, but he’s the head coach. He sets the rules for the clubhouse and guys are just doing and saying what they want. This team is just coming apart. There’s factions everywhere on this team.

You can’t win when you have everyone for themselves. To me that falls on the head coach. They need to get things going in the right direction or I think Tomlin is gone.