1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You are the DC what do you do?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Sep 19, 2018.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    ripping off TTF here, but if you are the defensive coordinator what do you do? who do you let go after the season? Any changes to 3-4?

I would cut dud of course, and surprisingly keep Tyler Makaveli. Dude is fantastic at special teams and at least shows heart on defense(even if he is putrid). We need more Jesse James/Tyler players on this team. Selfless and hard workers. 3-4 all star divas aint cutting it.

I would assign artie just 1v1 on whoever and that would be his job. yank the exotic stuff because apparently we are too dumb lol. Don't know if we have the personnel to switch to 4-3. Tuitt/Grave/Dan/Hey?

What about a 5-2? Tuitt/Grave/Dan/Hey/williams then watt/Bostic as ilb? nah lol.

I think I would plug Watt anywhere and let him cover Rbs and slower TE's and attack the qb. He is disrusptive and you want him to be wild like the god 43. Sorry I just insulted troy, please forgive me.

my practices would just consist of learning to tackle lol. all practice long

What say you? How do you turn this defense around? I don't believe it's this bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    start working on my resume just in case. definitely have to figure something out because what we are doing now isn't working much. The loss of Shaz shouldn't have affected us as much as it has.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    dom won here and in GB and it wouldn't be a whole huge stretch for our defense if he came in. here is a concept, quit letting vince foote cover TE's. quit letting bostic cover TE's. use the 10,000 safeties we have to cover them. put the athletic rookie LB in the game while you are getting decimated. can it be worse? how about fort one of your best cover LB'ers on the team? butler is so hard headed its not funny. make changes when what you are doing is not working. get a real DC in here. :smiley1::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Fire myself since Tomlin won't

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    oh gotcha. i'd first throw out any scheme that has a DL going out into coverage. if bud stays (yuck), have him either spy or run stunts with the line because he has almost no consistent rush moves that work. simplify the coverages to help with the bad communication.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    First of all bench everyone who started last week, can't really do worse than what we saw. Light a fire under the starters hopefully.

Second call Lebeau & have him come in & hold Butler's hand.

Start drafting for a 4-3 base next year because our exotic defense doesn't work or is too complicated for the players.

Lastly have Bud Dupree just bring everyone Gatorade during the game.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    After 3 years, RESIGN.....

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    First I'm giving Porter and Jerry O their walking papers. Sorry guys but you have beenough subpar in your player development. I'd offer Jerry a spot on quality control. I'd bring a guy who can teach and develop players for the lb corps.

Next I'm putting Bud with coach Dunbar and tell him to develop him as a situational pass rusher. Put him in a two point stance pointed right at the QB and get after it.

Im then looking at Thomas in the middle with Bostic with VW as the rotation. I want speed and smarts so I bring in James Farrior and ask him to mentor Thomas.

I tell my CB forget about the run, I don't care if you ever tackle a running back. Your job is to prevent catches. Get on your man until you can tell me the flavor of bubble gum he is. The only time you should worry about a runner is if you're tight to the line and your man is blocking then go get some.

Safety position learn threat assessment. If you have a shifty slot receiver and TJ is covering with a blocking TE on the other side. You are the over the top guy on that slot receiver. If it is a heavy formation with a single WR on your side of the field you have the over the top coverage the lb have run support not you. If the TE is running up the seam and their is single coverage on the outside the TE is your guy make it hard to catch the ball. Use your head

Whole defense know your role!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    You're hired!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Agreed! Get him a headset stat!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd hope Joe Haden is healthy enough to play and make me look smarter this week. :)

13. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am blitzing ten and if we sack the QB great, otherwise the offense will be back on the field quicker.

14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If I'm this DC of this defense. I'm going to be on a 1st name basis with the clerk at the state store.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would go to a 5-3 Monster and use either man or man/zone concepts.. I would throw the Two Deep playbook in the trash..I would have open tryouts for the Single High Safety, I already know who would win the job..lol

The front 5 would be my biggest,strongest DL to protect my LB'S,,of the 3 LB'S only 1 would really be a LB the other 2 would be box Safeties so they have better coverage and blitzing ability ...The monster would be my best Cover CB so I could move him anywhere without disrupting the Coverage Call..This would give me the ability to double anyone or send 2 guys into any gap or position in any passing window a Team is exploiting ...

So my plan would be bigger up front faster on the back and much more simple so guys can just play ball..

16. Herbie Mitchell

Herbie Mitchell New Member

Sep 19, 2018
    We should think about using the money were saving from Le'veon and go after the best defensive free agent on the market. Bashaud Breeland, Navorro Bowman, Eric Reid!! I don't think Artie Burns will ever live up to the expectations we have for him. He has flashes of being a good corner, but he is too inconsistent. Same for Sean Davis. If it wasn't for TJ, Joe, and Cam, this defense would be the worst in the game. We need pieces that compliment those three stars. Thoughts?

17. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    What kind of game-shape would any free agent be in at this point.
    Reid is a National Anthem squatter, so there's that.
    New players would have to learn the defense on the fly. The existing players can't wrap their heads around it and they've been practicing it for months, some for years. I think what we see is what we get for the remainder of this season. Except for possibly a different punter.

18. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Butler should be fired. Hire Jeff Fisher.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Take the zone and throw the shi$ in the garbage. Starting with this week I am locking Sutton on Evans with some help deep. I am also putting Hilton or Davis and a LB on OJ, I am done with the TE killing us. I want Hargrave on the field more and I want to see this kid get some push up the middle and maybe help Tuitt and Cam. I would show Bud the Dud that the way to the QB isn't to run 50yds behind the QB. Bud need to stop this deep outside rush and start pushing the OT back into the QB which will also close that hole on running plays. Mix up the blitzes off the edge Burns, Sutton, Davis, Burnett need to rush so people aren't ready for Hilton when he does.

The last thing....get back to basics and simple things up cause imo we have talent it just isn't being used right or is getting to confused!

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Capers isn't a good DC anymore, Green Bay got rid of him because their defenses were so bad.

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Teach our DB's route recognition. Make them watch film of different route combinations three hours a day until they understand the concepts being employed to perfection against them.

You can't scrap zone altogether because you need to keep the QB guessing, but I'd 100% scrap the spot drops we teach our players. I'd make them watch some Ravens or Patriots defensive tape to see how they drop in their zones towards anticipated throwing windows and receiver breaks.

The first interception that Ward had on Ben in week one (and a Chiefs corner almost had on the same play in week 2) is something we never see from this team and haven't seen since Butler got here. Browns in cover 2, Ward playing squat technique recognized the route combination, left his receiver in the flat and jumped the inside route. Our guys drop to the flat and stay there no matter what crosses their face. It's hard to watch.

The safeties are even worse. We have 5 box-only safeties on the roster and we ask them to play deep half in cover 2. I don't know what they're hoping to accomplish with this, but the result is that our corners and LB are getting very little of the help they're expecting over the top. And even when they do get it, it's usually late.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'd fire the secondary coach. Blame it all on him.

Save my azz, and pray for better results.

That's just me.

23. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Yep and I believe he ran the same system that Butler runs, at least partially.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Attack!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelerinKC

SteelerinKC Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    This, all day, and put the QB on his a$$ even if it means penalties.