1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Yes, Ben is tough, but...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Dec 9, 2011.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's no denying that Ben is probably the toughest QB in the league and one of the toughest players. I love having tough players on the Steelers, as I'm sure most of you do, but we don't need a tough QB that can take hit after hit and keep playing. We don't need a QB that can play on a high ankle sprain. We don't need a QB that can be the most sacked QB in NFL history and still keep trucking.

What we need is a QB who gets rid of the ball so he doesn't get killed 5 times per game. I love when Ben extends the play, but the downside isn't worth it. Instead, focus on getting rid of the ball quickly. If the play breaks down and there's nowhere to run, throw the ball away. Forget about making a circus type play, because those don't happen often enough to risk getting killed by some 300 lb lineman.

Now, Ben has been playing this way since day 1 so he won't just automatically change. This is completely on the coaching staff. Not only have they allowed Ben to continue to play a risky style, they encourage it. They need to make it very, very clear to him that his long term health and the long term success of the team is more important than each individual play. As coaches, they need to ensure this happens. Whatever they have to do, they need to do it. I'm tired of watching Ben get killed on the field and nothing ever seems to change. I don't believe that Cowher would have allowed this crap to go on for as long as it has.

2. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well KC had the 28th worst defense against the run and BA had Ben throw the ball all over the field. Cleveland had the 31st worst defense and against the run and BA still had Ben throw the ball everywhere.
    I've lost all hope for seeing the Steelers as a running team anytime soon.

3. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Agreed. I have finally adhered to my wife's request for me to stop bitching every game to run the damn ball. It just isn't going to happen. Siiiigghh

4. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Its not 1975 anymore....The NFL is a pass driven league...Jerome Bettis days are over...Ben is a top 5 QB and we have the best young group of Wrs in the league...

We are a Passing team! That being said we should have been able to run the ball better against cleveland...especially at the Goal line

5. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Its not 1975 anymore....The NFL is a pass driven league...Jerome Bettis days are over...Ben is a top 5 QB and we have the best young group of Wrs in the league...

We are a Passing team! That being said we should have been able to run the ball better against cleveland...especially at the Goal line

6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Are you going to ever learn that this team couldn't run against a UFL team! don't look at rankings because it doesn't mean anything. The Jets ran against the pats and lost so why didn't they throw against the worst pass defense in the league? Because they can't pass!!! The problem here is the o-line is a total mess, they are big and slow and mostimportantly...WEAK!! Gilbert was bull rushed 4 or 5 times during that game by a player 100 pounds lighter, and I'm not talking James Harrison style of using leverage , I'm talking stright ahead man to man blocking and he gets beat. In order to run you need a least a little push from the side you want to run to but defenders shed the blocks from the guys up front as easily as taking off a coat, we run to the right and the right side of the line collapses and the result is a minimal gain and even a loss of yardage at times. I would love to see a monster running game but I realize it can't happen with what we have up front, it amazes me that they can even pass protect at all but at least when they miss a block like they did a few times last night, the QB can move and stay upright but when blocks are missed running it results in a loss...Period! Watch the game, watch the blocking, and don't blame the same play being called because you aren't going to have an end around work more than once in a series, trap plays don't work as the linemen we have are too slow to pull and Foster whiffs on critical run blocks like what happened against the Jets last season. WE ARE UNABLE TO RUN AGAINST ANYBODY!!!!!

7. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    BINGO :this!:

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    REdman has a body of work that says different.....He is at close to 5 YPC on the season,,,,and before you give me that crap about because he has less carries......Here are the facts...Most of Redmans runs come on short yardage...Hince everyone is ready to stop him,but yet they still can't.....The rest of Red's carries usually come from a 3 TE set with 1 WR ,,,,so again most everyone in the World knows it's a run yet they still can't stop him......

As most have said we are a drive blocking plow ahead type of OL ,,yet we go zone .....The reason Red can run against this is he has the power to break the tackle of the 1st. Defender or at least drag him for extra yards....If we went straight up drive blocking and Got Red behind the pile he would be a couple of yards per carry better on average.....It's right there on the tape....

So I would say that a 7.0 YPC would be one hell of a running Team ...Esp when the longs are 20 or so......The only problem is the Coach ,,,the scheme,,,,and the choice of runners...

9. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    you got to pass to win...unless your last name is teebow

10. BigBlockSteelers

BigBlockSteelers Active Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Just so all of you in the Steel City understand the disrepect there is for the Steelers here in cleveland I just heard the host on the ocal sports talk station 92.5FM "The Fan" say that he never thought that Ben was that good of a QB and actully rates him slightly above average. He went on to say that Colt out played Ben on Thrsday night and if not for the cheap shot by Harrison Colt would of won the game. He continued with Bens numbers are never that good and his pick he threw last night was proof that Ben is not that good because Brady or Manning would never throw a pick in a tight game. O-by-the-way no mention all day that Ben got hurt or was playing on a bad leg!

Just make sure that you never feel bad for the "clowns" or this stupid city. I hope every year that the "clowns" never win, ever.

If you get a chance to come to cleveland on Jan 1st please do,,,,tickets on Stubhud are below $39 and will probally drop below $20 closer to the game...heck..the ravens game last week were selling for $5 each and they brag about how supportative they with a half empty stadium.

I wish Ben and Pouncey a speedy recovery!

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I still don't buy the YPC argument. I agree that Redman is great at breaking the first tackle - but if the defense is set up to stop a short run, then there'll likely be a few yards extra after the initial push, due to where all the bodies are. So I agree that we should be using Redman more when we need 2-3 yards and int he redzone; but in the general game, I still think his average would drop pretty quickly.

12. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Yeah, but Tebow has Jebus on his side. :-D