1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Yellow Seats Strike Again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Feb 27, 2017.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Love the way they look but everything else is horrible. We looked bad at the Stadium Series this weekend. Pathetic coming off a Championship and we can't fill 68k seats for a hockey game at Heinz. Granted not many Cryers fans showed up and NHL keeps milking us, we've been in one almost every year. Just not a good look. If you want to win Championships got to have a strong following.

Some of these Stadium Series have been in 100k stadiums and filled. I mean it's hard to tell, maybe it's just the seats or maybe we have a problem staying in our seats for a whole game? Same thing with Steelers games. What's the deal?

Sidenote - AB called the players out and got a decent ovation but nothing crazy.

2. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    i think i heard they had 60k there. its not a sell out, but not bad considering its a hockey game outdoors in a stadium not designed to watch hockey.

Hockey is by far the best sport to watch in person and i love it, but i would imagine watching a game in a place not built for it would suck. even if its maybe a once in a lifetime event.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Go for the experience. I went to the first one and sat pretty close and could see fairly well. I know somebody that went to both and sat in the nosebleeds where it looks like you are watching ants.

Just not a good look to not sell-out against in-state rival off a Championship. Yellow seats made it obvious to everyone.

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Everybody peeing?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Ice hockey in an outdoor American Football stadium is just plain silly. Both the players and the camera crew seemed to have problems getting in sync too. Not sure how loud it was in person but on TV it was like a mausoleum. The best "outdoor" hockey venue was the old Igloo with the lid open in its younger days. Wrigley and Fenway would be much better than a spacious football stadium. Whatever they were charging for that game was too much - other than the lovely score, didn't do it for me. What's next - a Tiddly Wink tournament at Soldier Field?

6. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    The tickets for that game were ridiculously expensive! I'm not a bit surprised it wasn't sold out...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They actually opened it for hockey?

I can only remember going to it once or twice. For the Ice Capades and the Circus. All in the 70's early 80's.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    60,000 for a hockey game is pretty good I think. There is only so much
    disposable income available to a lot of people. from what I hear you could have
    gone to two PPG arena games for the price people paid to go to this one.

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Tickets for our game were the cheapest out of all the outdoor games this year. Half the price of the last one at Heinz Field.

I mean they did a game at the Big House that had 105k people. Plus, like day game Steelers games 60k is generous. Probably only 50k at their seat at one time.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Are you seriously comparing hockey in Michigan to hockey in PA? I mean the popularity of hockey in PA has been growing steadily but it waxes and wanes based on the success of the two pro teams in the state.

11. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014

I remember them opening it for concerts back in the late70's or early 80's and all that wonderful smoke escaping!

12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Maybe it was only an experiment that went awry - and it would have been for an old Pgh Hornet game - pre-Pens. But theoretically speaking, the cozy atmosphere would not be lost with the dome open, unlike Heinz Field.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I was at the game 67,000 fans came. It was the sixth largest crowd to ever watch a hockey game.

There was many fans staying in the concourses for good lengths of time because it was windy and cold, you have to remember your going to get more crowd shots during intermissions, hockey has two intermissions. Going to look empty during those times.

I was there and it was a good bit of people. Not near the crowd they had in 2011 against the Capitals but a good crowd.

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    it looked pretty full on TV. During the 2nd intermission it did look empty. The first few rows seemed empty - I assume you could not see much from these seats, if they even sold them.

15. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's like the shots between quarters or right after halftime. I was in decent seats for the Browns game and just walked out to the bathroom and to get handwarmers.

I barely made it back as they were kicking off the second half. Most of my row didn't get back until 5-7 minutes into the 3rd.

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    When I received the email from the Steelers ticket office for the Stadium Series game, the tickets in my opinion were ridiculous...especially when you consider the fact that you're 2-3x further away from the ice in most of the seats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Ugh, this excuse. Same with Steelers games. If people don't plan on sitting in their seat then don't come. Then ticket prices wouldn't be ridiculous.

What was the price? I mean it's not really about the view but the experience :shrug:

18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    I honestly don't remember, the email is dated late November but when I click on the link, of course you can't access it because the event has already come and gone. I do believe one price was like $160 or so

I get what you're saying, but if I'm spending that kind of money on tickets, you damn well better believe it's going to be for the AFC Championship! :cool:

19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    LOL, I spent more per ticket for the Denver game in 2015.
    :shock:

20. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, 160 face value is ridiculous. I payed around that on secondary market for the 1st one. Explains why it didn't sellout.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly. I'll never understand their logic sometimes. Like if you've ever been on a cruise, they take your pic everywhere, then want $20-30 for each one if you want to take it. Can't figure out why they won't charge $8-10 and sell the majority of them. A lot more money in the long-run I'd think. In this case, charge an amount to where it sells out, then you'll have that many more people in the city that day buying stuff, then in the stadium have them buying concessions, merchandise.

Hell, I'm not even a business major and can figure that one out...

• Agree Agree x 1