1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF was our goal this season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Dec 30, 2019.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    People were running Cowher out of town as well ,before and after he won a SB. So Tomlin deserves no criticism? Tell me how long does he get?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dobbs was traded because he sucks :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'd imagine those Brown's shirts are on sale right now, Darkness. Just an FYI.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They overachieved this season, most people thought the Steelers would be headed for a top 10 pick when Ben got injured. It was disappointing to lose those last 3 games, in 8 of the last 9 games the offense only scored 1 TD :facepalm:.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you missed when Dobbs played against the Raiders last season :facepalm:.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not sayin they didn’t overachieve this year because of injury. So then you can say they underachieved last year which so many are unwilling to admit. They’ve underachieved in previous years as well. Some guys only want to blame the talent and the players but never the coach for any of it.

edit: you didn’t acknowledge the fact Cowher was facing criticism as well and you didn’t answer the question how much more time does MT get before it’s time for a change.?

7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Do you consider Ben a franchise QB?

If your answer is yes, then you better reconsider what you think of Cousins. Here is the comparison of Cousins' last five years (2015-2019) and Ben's last five years (2014-2018)

Cousins: 99.6 passer rating, 21,077 yds passing, 137 TDs, 52 INTs, 7.7 yds/attempt
    Ben: 96.8 passer rating, 22,089 yds passing, 144 TDs, 68 INTs, 7.8 yds/attempt

As you an see there's not a whole lot of difference and Cousins numbers in the three years prior to his big contract with the Vikings were quite good. He had 81 TDs vs 36 INTs. He's improved on those numbers with the Vikings and this year is the fourth best passer rating in the league at 107.4, 26 TDs and 6 INTs, 8.1 yds/attempt.

In short, hell yeah, we would have been happy to have signed him to that deal and gotten that production cause its what we've gotten with Ben.

Tannehill is the one guy that you can rightly proclaim was a bum coming into this year and that is in the playoffs. The rest of them? No.

8. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    He has under achieved? Two Super Bowl appearances and won one? Missed the playoffs three times in 14 years? Never had a losing record? You have got to be brain dead, this is a competitive league and you do not win it every year. Chuck Noll coached 20 years and was successful for five years ‘74-‘79. It’s about getting the talent you need, not just switching coaches. Switching coaches does not change the talent. Ask Denver, Cleveland, Jets, Arizona, Tampa, miami, Detroit. It’s about talent and sometimes you hit pay dirt, sometimes you don’t and sometimes you endure injuries.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I consider Ben a franchise QB because he actually won a SB and did it at a young age before he got paid. Ben also started his career in a era where you were still allowed to play defense. Ben also offers intangible that were off the charts and up there with a lot of other iconic QBs. especially the SB winners. Ben’s greatness went above the numbers. Cousins isn’t in the same stratosphere. I wouldn’t of been happy with KCs numbers because to me it’s about winning SBs. To me KC chokes in a big spot. Ben has come through many times. I guess our definitions are different....

edit: Ben’s numbers may have been prolific the last 5 years but his truly best years as a QB for this team were before that....imo

10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    When Steelers win SB it's due to Ben. When they don't win SB, it's due to Tomlin.

Got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Switching coaches after 10 years also does mean your destined to fail because of it. Sometimes there is need for a change So again how long does he get? How will we know when he has amassed enough talent to be a legitimate contender again? When he actually does it? Then will it be because of him or the talent? So I guess at that point it won’t matter who the coach is became the talent is there. right? There is actually such a thing as making the most out of your talent. Neither you or I know the truth so it’s open to interpretation but I guess because you disagree I must be brain dead. Who is talking about winning a SB every year besides NE fans? How about being a legitimate contender with a HOF QB for the last 10 years. Making the playoffs? Hows that record once getting there? 1 AFCCG and getting throttled by NE. Tebow and Bortles say hello. If you’re happy with those results ,good for you ,I’m not. Doesn’t make me wrong or brain dead like you described me with so much class. My opportunity is no less valid than yours because we don’t agree. 4>1 SBs I think that gets you quite a bit more appreciation. Using Noll and Tomlin in the same sentence? Maybe you need a Browns shirt....lol

12. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    You sound exactly like the Ravens fans who wanted Their coaches head a couple years ago, were losing, time for a change, we’re in decline. Wonder if they still say that?? If they had your narrow mind he’d be gone and he would not have asked GM to draft Jackson and switch the offense over. That is why you don’t make impulsive idiotic moves because your mad about losing. What idiot would think that we would not have won at least two more games had Ben not gotten injured? Wouldn’t that be a playoff year?

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Evidently you don’t if you were able to extract that from me saying Ben is a far superior “franchise” QB compared to KC. I’m trying to have a fair debate over whether MT deserves some blame for our failures over the last 10 years or so. I’m willing to say some of it is on the players and the talent but MT has to share part of it. It seems the loyalists only want to blame the players and point to his tiresome never had a losing record mantra and he doesn’t have the talent. So it seems to me that the loyalists have a we win because of MT mentality and we lose because of the players.
    I’m one of the few who look at it both ways. I offer no apology for the way I root for my team. I expect championships whether realistic or not. I don’t live in Candyland like some of the other guys where everything is great and we should all just be satisfied with whatever happens.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Once again you’re completely missing the point. If you follow any of my posts you would know that I’m not rabidly advocating the firing of MT. At the same time I’m not willing to absolve him, which you clearly are off accepting any of the blame for any of the miscues this season and seasons past. Thinking he is above any criticism is idiotic.

You make,a lot of assumptions in your post. Did we make the playoffs with a healthy Ben last year? Must of missed that....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    But they made it the 6 prior years dude. The Steelers have been plagued with injury and suspensions for a while now and they have still played well. I have been critical of Tomlin at times, he isn’t perfect. But this year showed his ability. He took a beat up partial team and nearly made a playoff appearance. They played hard every week and never quit. In some ways I wish he would go on the market and show people how stupid they really are. I say bring in Kitchens for ‘20, McDaniels for ‘21, Gase for ‘22 so everyone can be happy.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Never said he should be perfect. I also must of missed the times you’ve been critical . If so my mistake. To me you only seemed to be defending him and absolving blame. I think it’s fair to acknowledge the job he has done this year but also acknowledge his failures. Some aren’t willing to do both. He’s the HC he’s responsible that’s how his job works.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That makes zero sense.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason got experience, he didn't fail. Put some consistent vets around him & he looks like the other QBs in his draft class, geez SDOT. They traded Dobbs because Mason beat him out in preseason. if you pay attention, the Steelers only carry two QBs like the rest of the league. Mason was their Nick Foles this year, Dobbs was their Landry Jones. Who will be out of the league first? $100 says it's Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Oh I was pissed after the on side kick thing and some hair brained stuff he did but this season showed me he cares and I think he did a good job and kept us alive

• Like Like x 1
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I would love to see Tomlin go on the market to see him tank within the first two years with his new franchise. And then seeing him go back to being a coordinator.

But seriously your username is We Need a Change, but you're a Tomlin defender. Wtf?

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You know the bottom line is we’re all fans. Some of us (myself) are critical and some fans choose to take a more laid back attitude. There nothing wrong with either way of thinking and everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem arises when insults find their way into the argument and the fan police make a appearance. To me there’s no place for that. Some people try to pass their opinions off as fact and and act condescending to those who simply have a different point of view. This is a place with very knowledgeable fans. Everyone has their own opinion ,being able to offer ones opinion without insulting someone else’s is important to the discussion.

23. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    This is a long way from being a place for civil discourse. Most of what you are hearing is people with many opinions blowing off steam over the lack of success this year. Don’t get feelings hurt or take things personally, if you have ever been to a game you’d know things can get a little ruff.

24. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think considering the injuries with an already substandard offense, they did as good as can be expected.

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There a difference between blowing off steam and being a dick about it I feel. I don’t get my feelings hurt but I do take it personally when someone has to resort to insults. I’ve been to a few games so I’m well aware of the shenanigans. There’s also the potential of repercussions to said shenanigans that aren’t possible on a MB. Doesn’t mean this place needs to go down that path and the moderators do great job of shutting it down when it gets out of hand. IMO if insults need to be a part of someone’s argument or opinion ,there’s a flaw in their logic. All JMO of course.....:smiley1: