1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR's showing promise

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Aug 11, 2013.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One thing I have to say about Wheaton was that I rewatched the game last night and I can say that it made me FURIOUS how stupid he looked on the ST play where Sly got hurt. First of all he was really far from the actual play and he ran in when the player was DOWN and LAUNCHED himself in to him! THAT was the play where Sly got hurt and actually even IF he didn't hurt Sly if the ref had been watching it would have been a massive late hit. It was just flat out one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen. I know that he's a rookie and all that but the fact is that he's not new to the actual game of football and knows for SURE not to launch himself at a guy that literally is laying on the ground. If Tomlin sees that on film he had better go Bill Cowher on him for that crap! Am I the only person that watched that play in slo-mo?

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Not yet. Sanders is only signed through this season, after which he becomes an UFA.

If we cut cotchery, then lose Sanders because he won't sign what we offer him next year we'll have AB and then several WRs with only one year under their belt.

We have no choice but to keep Cotchery this year. A solid possession receiver mentoring our young WR corp.

I can see us keeping 6 WR if Dunn doesn't win the returning job out-right and if J. Brown and Woods are just too close in performance.

Cajun-

3. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm not right often, BUT you try to sneak Woods or Brown onto the PS, and they won't have time to walk from the coaches office to their locker before they receive a call advising them to pack their bags because they are heading to........? Remember, they were playing with BG and LJ ( worst pick in 3 drafts) and JPW as the QB ! Let them run with BR and let's see how they look then.

4. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I had the exact same thought when I saw the play as it happened!
    I have not re-watched it.
    However I have heard some people say he was "pushed" into the contact.
    Sure didn`t look like it at 1st glance, but sinceI haven`t personally re-watched it, I don`t know.

5. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    If you watch it you can see that it almost LOOKS like he got pushed but the closest defender was really far away from him. I think the reason people assume he was pushed was because the analyst assumed he was pushed and said it during the broadcast. He was not pushed.

6. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I didn't go back and watch it again but at first glance it looked like he was pushed

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Totally forgot Sanders isn't signed past this year. I still think him and AB would be enough vet experience for this year but I like your idea of carrying 6 wr's. Did you put together your new 53 roster yet?

Yep, I said nice Kemo move there Wheaton. He knew he effed up though, could see it in his reaction when he realized he took Sly out.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I saw his reaction too. I just wonder if Tomlin addressed it. If you think about it that kind of stupid and pathetic play is a microcosm of our ST really.

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Go watch it again if you have it on your dvr. You will see what I'm talking about. It was blatant stupidity. I didn't realize it until I watched it again last night and I got seriously ill about it. Also watching the punt get blocked and Cromartie-Smith whiffing on it was another thing that got my blood boiling. Also watching Ramon Foster get owned on Ben's sack was tough to stomach as well. My dvr slows things down really good and you can really see what happens. It's pretty cool but also sucks watching your team be slowly dismantled. LOL.

10. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Can you slow down any shots of ST Coach Smith?
    I swear at normal speed, it looked like he had at least 3 or 4 pieces of gum in mouth. :lolol:

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure Tomlin pointed it out, he needs to play more in control but he's a rookie in his first NFL action, he'll learn.

12. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Tomlin has carried 6 wrs before but that was with BA who would go 5 wide and Battle was a special teams beast.

13. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    On a side note, BFT...
    Even tho that play by Wheaton REALLY ticked me off, it was FAR from the WORST, or most boneheaded play I have seen any of our players ever make.
    He seems like a keeper, that just made one really, really stupid mistake.
    If it becomes a pattern, that`s another issue.
    I doubt that it will.:cool:
    GO STEELERS!

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    The thing that makes me so mad is it just seems to show that our ST are HORRIBLY coached and EXTREMELY undisciplined.

15. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    J. Brown just jumped gilreath on the depth chart.

16. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Hell the players probably can't understand a damn word he's saying with all the gum in Coach Smith's yapper. :lolol:

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If Tomlin starts with Miller and Spaeth on the 53, but injured and not playing, another position has to be shorted. Wonder if that impacts keeping 6 WR

18. Yogi4

Yogi4 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He's a seasoned veteran and in certain situations that's the guy you want to depend on. I do see there is a "space" problem, but 4th and goal from inside the 15 with no time on the clock to win a game is where you want a seasoned vet to do the job.

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah. LOL. It's like that episode of Andy Griffith where Barney is in the barn with the convict that wants revenge on him and he gets really nervous and keeps stuffing gum in his mouth and when Andy scares him he tries to scream but he can't because all the gum but the con gives himself up because he thinks Barney shoots and then Andy rushes in to tell Barney he did a great job catching the guy and all Barney can say is "I swallowed my gum". HA!

20. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Works for me, Coach Smith's Official Nickname is ... Barney :roflmao:
    You do have to admit that they share all of the same nervous manerisms.

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I get that but would Ben even look at him. I just think it's a lot smarter not to risk losing one of your young guns for an aging vet that hasn't done much with his time here.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Problem is he's just a vet, and not really seasoned. Truthfully what has he ever done that would make him a go to guy in that situation? He's done nothing since he's been here. If he's a fourth receiver at best on the down side of his career with no real chance of moving up the depth chart why keep him at the risk of losing an up and coming player who potentially has way more upside?

23. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry for the delay - crazy couple of days. When you think about a true # 1 - they have something that is exceptional. What is exceptional about any of these WR's? Who on this roster has the physical gifts of Calvin Johnson? The football smarts of a Larry Fitzgerald or Randy Moss? Who in this group even has the toughness of a Wes Welker?

24. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You could say the same about some notable receiving corps, though. I was thinking of Art Monk, Ricky Sanders and Gary Clark from the 80s, for example - ok, you can argue for individual greatness with them, but really it was having that corps which made them all great. Likewise the Three Amigos. I wouldn't say Vance Johnson was an ultimate no.1 receiver, but put him alongside Nattiel and Jackson and he was devastating.

I'm not saying that we have the receivers to be placed alongside those examples - yet. But we all know this is a young bunch, and so time is on their side.