1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR's showing promise

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Badboy212, Aug 11, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we save his salary and the young guys wouldn't cost as much. we would save a little. the dead money hit is small.:cool:

2. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    As of right now we're over 4 mil in cap space. We don't need the space. Keeping Jerricho is more valuable to the team than the cap saving he'll give.

Our very veteran WR had retired and was out of football for 2 years and came back to help his friend Coach T. With Jerricho's mentoring success maybe he's being groomed to move into coaching? Just food for thought.

Cajun-

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would do the same, but I want to see some consistency from the 3 rookies prior to making a move like this.

I think the safest move from the roster perspective is to keep Cotch and put Woods on the PS, but the risk is you lose Woods to another team. That may be what determines the decision...would we lose him. With as bad as our Oline is, we may be able to keep 6 WRs for a little bit.

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    don't forget j.brown and jd woods are very good blockers. they came here with that reputation and it's something the team is really pushing on this year to help the run game. brown is a punt returner to and so is woods. i'd put these thing in the hat as things to watch also.

:cool:

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I expect these guys to be a couple of gems for us, for the reasons you mentioned plus they have good hands and can go up and take the football away like many of us have been clamoring for.

6. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I mentioned the PR abilities but not their blocking skills which is important and key to our new OL Scheme. Nice catch and addition Mac.

I don't wanna loose either Brown or woods but cutting Jerricho to keep them is crazy talk. You just can't have 3 out of 5 rookies on your wr corp.

Cajun-

7. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    It's not like all 3 will be starting at the same time.
    Besides, didn't we have 3 rookies on our o-line last year? ;)

8. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    AB will be fine. He new it was a preseason game. That was why there was a smile on his face and not disappointment.

If anything Ben or who ever the **** is gonna lead this offense needs to be in his ear and say " practice like you play" because that's all that this was.

9. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Three out of eight is better than 3 out of 5. Also, The WR position is considered the hardest position to learn and master.

I agree not all three will be starting at the same time, Unless we lose Brown and Sanders to injurys and sanders has never been completely healthy.

Cajun-

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree, on both points. And while "veteran" does not translate into "leader"... this isn't Madden.

11. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Cotchery hasn't exactly been the picture of perfect health recently (last year) either.

Besides like I said earlier, Wheaton, J.Brown, and JD.Woods all have said they didn't mind being either blockers or gunners on Special Teams. Wheaton was a gunner and J.Brown was a blocker in Saturday's game; not sure what all JD.Woods did other than the 1 kick-off return.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Considered by whom? I know I'm biased about line play, but I'd have to argue you'd find that position on the offensive line. There's a reason why offensive linemen typically score highest on Wonderlics, and WR's Wonderlic scores don't usually correspond to their abilities.

13. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    Ideally you can sneak one of them onto the practice squad with the goal of signing them later when someone does get hurt.

I too don't think it is a good idea to have 3 WR who are rookies all of which are going to be counted on should you go to 3 or 4 man wide sets.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we pretty much did it with young money crew. we are close to the same on the O-line. RB? FB? TE for now. we are young everywhere on offense really.

I wanted to extend cotchery he only 31 and lightly used, but if these guy keep improving over the preseason, we could be in a pickle. cotch doesn't play ST's. :cool:

15. TarheelFlyer

Oct 25, 2011
    I'm not sure I buy the WR position is hard to learn. Rookies regularly make an impact at the position. Wallace and Brown both did with us, a team which rarely plays our rookies.

Brown had 16 catches his rookie year.
    Sanders had 28 catches his rookie year.
    Wallace had 39 catches and 6 TDs his rookie year.

Marques Colston's rookie year, a next to next to last pick in the draft....70 catches 8 TDs and over 1000 yards.

Look through the rookies who have made impacts over the last 10 years...pretty impressive list.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    We all know that Long Snapper is the hardest position to learn.

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I have heard this mentioned several times on both ESPN and the NFL Network by analysis. I cannot make that claim on my own since I'm not in coaching with 1st hand knowledge.

I have also heard many times that Line are the smartest and make better coaches. I don't put much weight into the wonderlic as its a test of wide ranging general questions not related to football.

The WR position requires the player to know the complexitites of Every play like the QB but he has to defeat an opposing DB and still maintain that timing with the QB and still run the RTE exactly as drawn up, not a yard deeper or shorter or a curl to the exact spot and at the exact time. The QB will throw to a spot at a time independent of the WR. This trust and timing and working ability is what seperates the greats from the ordinary.

Cajun-

18. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    True, but James Harrison is a Bengal now

19. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    And we also have 4.4 million in dead money from colon next year so the more carry over we have the better.

20. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    This WR crew is medicore at best. There is no one on this roster that is NFL #1 WR material. Maybe J Brown could become that but I wouldn't count on any of the smurfs filling that role. They don't fight for the ball like Hines did.

21. scruffy

Jan 3, 2012
    Well, you may very well be right. The Steelers signing of Tyler Shaw to replace Plax was enough to have me question my own possible "homeristic" thinking. :huh:

Then try to visualize my thoughts and feelings when I found out he'd already been cut by Arizona. :lolol:

22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Woods performance the other night alone, showing great hands and focus hanging onto the ball while being upended AND dotting the eye with his trailing foot, would give me great concern in trying to sneak him onto the PS. If I'm an NFL GM or HC, I'm looking at that film and saying, DANG, this kids got some skills. And he blocks too!

23. Steel Blitz

Steel Blitz Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I agree Jack. i also agree with Cajun regarding keeping Cotchery. Instead of guessing now, I'll think I'll just get some popcorn ready for the Redskins. And, not to oversimplify this, but I remember making a point on this board when we acquired Cotchery that he has dependable hands, and Woods and Brown will need to show this first outing wasn't an aberration to trump that card.

My point being that if Woods and Brown perform this well consistently in 4/4 preseason games, this will be a tough choice for the coaches.

I like when the coaches have tough choices. I also think it's pretty tough to cash in these types of performances consistently.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Cotch but theres no way I am risking future talent for a guy who will be here 1 maybe 2 more seasons. You still have Sanders and AB for experience.

25. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Tell me, what qualities determines if a WR is #1 material?

This crew is mediocre at best............ Okay, I'm just gonna keep quiet.

Cajun-