1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR routes?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I really don`t understand all the hate on Wheaton...

He screwed up the last two weeks, but before that, he was looking solid!!!

I have faith that he will get it together!!!

Right now, I have to figure out why my computer is reacting more slowly than our defence to Tampa Bay!!!

GO STEELERS!!!

2. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Wheaton is a pretty tough cookie who has already made some really hard catches. His bad plays were mainly the result of bad communication with Ben. The thing I like most about Wheaton beyond his toughness and ability to make tough grabs is that he really does show the drive to get better and improve.

On three receiver sets, AB and Wheaton should be in, and then a mix for the third spot depending on the situation. There should be times where DBH and Bryant should be sent deep while on the field together. Other times, we should see Moore in the slot.

I think our WR core very soon will be AB/Wheaton/Bryant. I don't see Moore on the team after this year as well as DBH. I am not a JB fan, but he is solid at the 4th position if he continues to improve his pass catching abilities. Archer should be the X card and be the flex 5th WR. We really don't need anyone else on the team outside of those 5. If the team can draft an upgrade for JB, then I would do that.

But I think we should begin to solidify our WR "Core" and not mix and match as much as we did against the Texans.

Will the team take my advice, no.......obviously.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thing about Wheaton I don't like is his size, he is only 5'11".... He is playing as the #2 on the outside where you need to have special skills to get open. Its not like Wheaton has elite speed(good, not elite) or super long arms... so its not hard for a Corner to lock him down.

I'd put Martavis or Bey outside as the #2. Make the safties think twice.

4. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    We won Super Bowls with Ward/Randel El/Wilson and Ward/Holmes/Washington and been to a third with Ward/Wallace/Randel El as the top 3 receivers. Washington was the only "tall" one and he really didn't have an impact in that particular game (I still liked him as a player though).

Bottom line is that you dont NEED a tall receiver to win. That said, Bryant should be in our top 3 soon. Brown/Wheaton/Bryant playing wherever on the field. Good lineup.

5. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    What difference does this make when the WR does that but the QB has made a 5-step drop, stepped up into the pocket and is still pump faking when you came out of the cut in your route and fought off the DB 3 years ago? :lolol:

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well it worked back then in 2005 because we had a good run game, and committed to it. We have a good run game now, but Ben still wants to throw often so he needs a lot of targets and choices. Also A.R.E. was probably the best #3 WR in the game at that point.

Its okay to be small, but you better be special. Maurice Jones Drew, Steve Smith, Sproles, Hines Ward. Guys who are also gritty and tough as nails....

Lets face it. Ben likes big receivers as well.

I know its early into Wheatons career, but I'm just not seeing him as a #2. Could you see him as a #2 on other teams in the NFL, I cant?

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben continuously chimes about liking big receivers, but still seems to overthrow the big guys he's had to throw to more often than hit them...

(I have no stats for that, just my perception).

For me, the size thing is overblown. It's how the receiver uses his physical attributes as well as his mental skills and finesse, all at an equal. This offense calls more for receivers 'being on the same page' because of the number of times the plays break down, and size doesn't necessarily help.

Wheaton needs game experience. He can block, and he can catch, and he's quick, so there's a lot more upside than downside.

8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will take a guy catching 100 % of his catches .Also I think he dropped less in camp and in the preseason games than all our WR'S except A.B. I also think he was the big play guy at camp , he also showed that same big play ability in the pre season games.

So did Wheaton win the job ? or was Wheaton given the job ?

O.K. lets say he won the job which I highly doubt . Has he played at a high enough level to keep the job ?
    Is he better than the other WR'S at route running ?
    Is he better as a blocker ?
    Does he help open up others around him ?

Well when I run down that list I say bench his butt....

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think a lot of it is ben. he throws to who he likes or trusts, which is AB,bell and heath and heath is busy helping the line so he throws to AB and bell. I'm not to sure he looks for many of the other guys enough to know if they can or can't become a go to receiver.:cool:

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe my sources were wrong. I read camp updates nearly every day they had camp, and it seemed like Bey made some big plays and would make the team if he could only hang onto the ball consistently (he was credited with lots of drops). Most of my camp updates came from steelersdepot, so maybe their stats were wrong? Don't get me wrong, I like DHB... I just think we have far better options at WR to start a guy just because he made a nice play last game. Moore is a good receiver, and Bryant and Wheaton are two youngsters who have shown promise on the field already this season.

I think the coaches agree too, seeing how every receiver we have on the depth chart has played in front of DHB. JB got the inactive list only because he couldn't play gunner. IF DHB turns out to be a reliable starter for us, I'll say I'm wrong. I just wouldnt count on it.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Does he though? See, I think that is totally fan perception and media driven. I can think of only one comment Ben ever made about wanting a big receiver and it was when Ward got all butt hurt over it.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good point. Whenever I see it discussed it's always like: "the big receiver Ben always wanted." So perhaps media/fan perception there. Either way, it's fairly obvious to me that the actual size of the receiver doesn't really affect how much he's used by Ben, or Haley.

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No clue how many times he's said it, but I can remember at least a couple where he has mentioned wanting the team to draft a big WR. It's been a few years now since I've heard him mention that though. I'm sure like every QB, Ben wants tall WR's.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, Im sure he wants one, I just can't honestly recall him ever saying it but that one time.