1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Market

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 6, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    DJ is better a route running than Claypool, Chase is supposed to be fast, but he doesn't get much separation from DBs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

:rolleyes:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We shall see. Its one thing to tweet about working hard and another thing all together to actually put in that work. I hope he is for the Steelers' sake. We need him to be good next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I did see a video of him last month working on catching the ball FWIW.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sounds better than whining about music during practice

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I wonder who wrote that post for him

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The money being thrown at WRs this off-season is crazy. I think DJ is a solid WR, but I think part of his success is driven by being the #1 guy on the Steelers by default. Basically nobody else has had what it takes to seize the role, so it fell to him. When I think about the WRs on the other teams in the NFL, I can maybe come up with around a dozen that he could step into and be the top WR on the team. There are also around 10 or so teams that have 2 that can be considered better than DJ. And that’s before the infusion of some pretty darn good WR talent joining in this draft plus some 2nd and 3rd year guys who could realistically pass him. I would be happy to lock him in at the $15-$17 million/year range, but I don’t think he’s “special.” Good: yes. Special: I haven’t seen it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I have to agree. When I saw that list of what WR's are making, I have to say, "boy did the Bengals sign that extension for Boyd at the right time." I see Boyd as a better WR than Johnson. As good or better route runner; both are amazing workers; but Boyd is more dependable to catch those clutch passes. Boyd is almost a blend of JuJu and DJ. And to get that for roughly $10, or more, million a year is a damn steal.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Tyler Boyd better than DJ? Come on. Based on your avatar, I'm sure you're partial to Pitt players... but you have to be objective. DJ is a much better player than Tyler Boyd. Lots better. Heck Tyler Boyd is the third best receiver on his own team (although Chase and Higgins are both pretty good players).

He is paid like the 26th WR in the NFL. Tyler Boyd isn't a top 30 receiver in the NFL. He is probably in the tier of 35-40ish and I don't think he is way overpaid by any stretch of the imagination (He is certainly on par as a player with Michael Gallup, DJ Chark, Tim Patrick, etc. as similarly paid players). But Boyd is what he is. A high floor, low ceiling #2 option that will be reliable. There's value in that for sure, but he will never contest being a top 10 yards, TD's, big play guy like DJ showed he can be last year.

Boyd would be a solid addition to our team at 10 million a year to complement DJ and be our #2. He would by no stretch of the imagination be on the same team as DJ and be viewed as the #1 option though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Tyler Boyd would be our #1 receiver. There's no bias here. It's reality. The dude went two years without dropping a pass. DJ would be the Bengals #4.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The scientific approach :lolol:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Well actually
    typed

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    DJ runs good routes and gets open but drops the ball way too many times and is unreliable. Claypool has all the size and speed but oddly isn't a huge downfield threat.

Washington and Juju are long gone.

WR is a huge need now and I wouldn't be opposed to drafting two this year with one being a higher pick for that reason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Great post, I would draft two receivers and trade DJ. And we haven't really seen what Claypool can do yet, Ben was throwing short and quick the majority of the time, that doesn't fit to Claypool strengths.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Boyd is a slot WR, DJ puts up numbers on the outside without the help at the position that Boyd has.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't need to trade DJ, let him play out of his final year, keep DJ and still draft two receivers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    This thread makes my head hurt. We're seriously talking about trading our best WR (by a lot) and one of the better young WR's in the game because we are a few million too cheap to pay the new market price now that the cap has gone up? On top of that we are thinking we should draft a WR instead (hoping he's another Diontae Johnson instead of another James Washington or Sammie Coates)? Somehow this is ok because you think he's a 15- 16 million dollar WR instead of a 18 million dollar WR?

Literal insanity. This thread is cursed.

We need more good WR's not less. We have one right now... and we're discussing trading him in this thread. Claypool is ok and has a hope to improve, but if he doesn't we are screwed. I am sure we will be adding a WR in the draft, but it wont be at the expense of our #1.

18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I've been saying for a while I would be cool with a first round WR this year. I think it would be great to have a DJ, Wilson, Claypool WR room. Its at least going to be a priority in the 2nd or 3rd round for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pure insanity. I called it last season, for many fans DJ will forever be linked to his 13 drop season or whatever it was. They don’t even realize he was among the league leaders in fewest drops last year.

But yeah, lets trade him decimating out receiving group leaving only Claypool and hoping your draft picks turn out to be studs that make a big impact in their rookie season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I could live with an $18 million average deal with a typical structure. I could even live with a deal that has a higher annual average if it’s structured in a way that’s favorable for the team. I would not crack open the piggy bank for him the way that teams have been doing for WRs this off-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    False. Boyd has never gone back to back years with 0 drops. Also, catches and yards have declined in the past 2 years.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, his numbers dropped this past season because the Bengals are loaded at receiver. Boyd isn't as good as Johnson, but he would be the no. 2 in Pittsburgh. He's definitely better than Claypool.

24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I wouldn't argue he would be the number 2. He would be a number 2 on a lot of teams. Ideally, you would want him as your slot.

25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Most teams seem to start three receivers these days. Just because a guy plays the slot doesn't mean he isn't the team's best receiver or second best.