1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Market

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 6, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Fair enough, but 1000 yards a year ....for 8 straight years with 4,or 5 different Qbs is got 2 be a record, or something. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Supposedly that is what the new WR's coach main goal is wrking with CC

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I would definitely rather have him instead of AJ Brown. I think he's a better player (albeit a very different style).
    Same goes for Evans since he is basically a 1000 yard receiver, but gets fed TD's in the red zone due to his style. Still very impactful, but I think DJ is "better".
    DK is a freak. He had a down year in 2021 after a stellar 2020, but maybe he bounces back. That's a toss up.
    Lamb is excellent. I think him and DJ are very close.... Pick your poison. Not upset if you like Lamb better though. Really good player.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe he can teach him how to go up with both hands instead of trying to "clap" the ball too lol tbh his lack of body control and poor catch mechanics are his two biggest issues at the moment. Hopefully a more lively arm in Trubisky can open him up for the deep ball a bit more again. We will see. Lots of holes in his game and he is pretty stiff, so he either wins deep or wins a contested catch. Maybe the new WR coach can get him back on track.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    All second contracts are question marks. There's no such thing as a sure bet. If you think he is a 15-17 guy, an 18-20 mil contract isn't exactly a huge overpay. AB was even less of a sure bet when we signed him and it worked out... it might not. I think DJ is a safe bet though bc of his work ethic, and the type of player he is. Mans gets open consistently, is dangerous after the catch, and has a knack for the end zone for a smaller guy. Those types of guys tend to be really safe bets to be successful. Its not like betting on a home run one trick and getting burned.

There is no one that would take him in a trade at the moment. He is in a contract year. It would have to be a sign and trade... and even then, what is the number he gets that nets us a high pick? Idk. Teams can just wait until the end of the season and try to pay him and not give up a thing. If he was under contract then maybe he could net us some serious capital. We have NOTHING behind him at the moment though (aside from a hope and a prayer Claypool figures his garbage out). It would be REALLY bad business to let him walk unless the kid is hellbent on making top 5 WR money (there's no indication that he is).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have heard that the WR position is loaded and will continue to be loaded
    because of all the 7 on 7 drills being played out throughout the USA. These kids start learning route trees early
    and often. Colbert is very good at evaluating the WR position. I look for one in the 3rd or 4th round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Negative! He is the weak link in the secondary and they can find better.

After leading the NFL with 13 dropped passes in 2020 (per Pro Football Reference), Diontae Johnson improved by leaps and bounds this season, cutting that number down to 5 even though he was targeted 25 more times than he had been the year before.

He is our #1. Period. If the contract demands get to dicey then you can franchise him next season. I feel he will only get better this season and I want to see him extended. Doesn't have to be 4 years.

And really who knows what's to become of Claypool. He needs much improvement and hopefully can turn his game around to being the dominate receiver he should be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Interesting thread. If the WR market is hot, should we not expect teams to draft WR`s sooner than they should in the draft? Maybe non WR players we did not expect to have a shot at could fall to us in early rounds.

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Pittsburgh Dad said that Claypool plays like he is on fire. Every pass thrown to him "he does a stop, drop and roll"!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Fair enough. :thumbs_up:

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We will draft one wr this yr.,..... We have a handful of developmental prospects already on the team that will get their chance

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I would grab Beasley immediately maybe even M Goodwin for his speed and still draft one or 2

We have 2 plus Gunner... need at least 5

Maybe Skyy Moore to step in if we lose DJ

HACK

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    DJ has to show up in the clutch, same with Claypool. Both are still projects at this point, although one a lot more than the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He won’t be first team anything with Mitchell Trubisky throwing to him

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Im not sure one is a LOT better than the other,, there is Nothing special abt DJ, this is his 4th -5th year and has had only 1000 yrd season,:shrug: CC had almost that his first year, and twice as many TDs as DJ did that year

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Everyone thinkig DJ is so great, i dont see a whole lot of # 18 jersies being worn

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've said I think DJ is good, but with Different Qbs other Wrs may shine. Qbs don't always see the field the same. I always refer 2 how AB disappeared every time Ben wasn't playing, and We all know while being a A$$ .....AB was still very talented....yet 6 different QBs had trouble getting Him the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    its because everyone still wears their #7 or their #90, #97, #39, etc. There are a lot of good players to choose from. Heck, there are still tons of #36, 84, 26, 92, 86, 43 out there still being worn. Just because he doesn't sell as many jerseys as other WR's (or other Steelers players) doesn't mean he's not good.

#18 is actually my next jersey if he signs an extension. Glad I didn't go that route with #19. Almost bought one of those, but ended up waiting another year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    When DJ was having so many drops it was reported he was at practice on the machine literally catching thousands of balls. I have no idea of CC work ethic, but the thing I have noticed he tends to rely on natural abilities. And after getting some PI calls early in his career seemed to.look for them more than go after the ball. I may be way off track, but he is very gifted, but this is the NFL and to reach the top you have to work to get there. We will see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I like DJ a lot but he doesn't draw the constant double team that true #1s get. Was it DJ or was it Ben and the quick passing attack?

I'm guessing we find out this year.

I like DJ , but not at the prices that have been thrown around with his name.

If he explodes this year.. then i might tag him ... maybe even tag and trade if he wants to 5 money

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

That may be true, but plenty Ward and AB jerseys was being worn by their 4th year playing in the league , JS ... IMO he is good, but nothing special,

• Like Like x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Jersey sales are a bad metric of how good a player is... its really not worth talking about.

Diontae and AB are similar in that they both went to MAC schools, are a bit undersized and lack elite top end speed. They rely completely on their route running technique to get separation and are excellent in the open field after the catch. This means they have to be extremely hard workers to make sure that they are successful (not everyone is Randy Moss lol). Their careers are fairly similar as well. AB had kind of a "red-shirt" year, but in their first year with significant playing time they were recognized as a returner (AB got pro bowl as a returner, DJ 2nd team All pro punt returner) both followed it up with semi disappointing years only to "break out" in the year after (granted AB broke out a little bit more).

Where I would like to see DJ hone his game a bit more is on the "read" part of his game. Too often he was not on the same page on back shoulder throws or on "read" routes. That is the main weakness I see in his game. He improved his concentration drops significantly, and now has this to improve in the offseason this year. Its a mental processing weakness, much like the drops were mental (trying to hard/ to do too much before he had the ball). I think he wants SO BADLY to be a stud that he was trying to make it happen when he should just put his work in and let the game come to him. As a former pro athlete I know how easy that is to have happen (been there myself), and what it takes to overcome that.

If he can get this up to speed, then I don't see why he cant be a 1,500 yard 10TD receiver on a solid offense. He has very little to improve to be on that level. He is just so talented its unreal. He fits the city so well too. Hard working, no-nonsense, no excuses, just wants to be good type of player. I hope we keep him. I have zero issues giving him 20 million a year.

• Like Like x 2
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Former pro yourself? Now you got me curious, what sport/ team did you play / play for..?. feel free to state your name also......thanks in advance..lol

• Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I would think just the opposite

Since you know you can get a good WR later grab other positions first

This may also at some point cause a run on receivers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Golf. Not quite the athlete to play football lol

Played at Ohio State then pro for about a half decade. Hence the love for OSU players...

• Like Like x 2