1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Market

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought the drops were overblown a year ago. He had one slump and people went nuts. Now it has happened twice. He drops one or two and suddenly it is in his head. That's not good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He is statistically a top 10 atm. I wouldn't put him top 10 until he does it again this year. If he puts up top 10 numbers again this season, then I'd be fine calling him a top 10 WR. Consistency is where its at (I know I include Chase in the top 10 despite only being one season, however... he had too big of a season for him not to be included right now).

Still think the following:
    1. Adams
    2. Kupp
    3. Samuel
    4. Jefferson
    5. Chase
    6. Diggs
    7. Hopkins (if healthy)
    8. Thomas (if healthy)
    9. Hill

These guys are all pretty firmly ahead of DJ.

He falls in line with guys like:

Lamb
    Renfrow
    Higgins
    Brown
    McLaurin
    Allen
    Evans
    Waddle
    Lockett
    Metcalf
    AJ Brown
    Pittman Jr.

Definitely better than some. On par with others. Maybe behind a few depending on how you look at it. Either way DJ is easily top 20 even if you look at it from a conservative/pessimistic view.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, should they make the playoffs next season it will be interesting to see how Johnson responds.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :this!:

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    There's no knowing if he was a flash in the pan or not; therefore, I'm against re-signing him today. I want to see another great year of production from him first. Personally, I think he's a $15m/$17m kinda guy. Juju had a great couple of years and dropped off dramatically. Is he a top flight guy like AB or just another solid WR we've drafted throughout the years like Juju, Emanuel Sanders or Santonio Holmes? I need more data either way. But it's apparent experts and analysts think very highly of him; therefore, today his trade value is likely the highest it will ever be. Let's face it, the Steelers won't lose enough games to get into the top 5 in 23 draft, assuming we're looking at one of those prospects. Trading DJ will likely net us a #1 in 23 and potentially a #3 or #4. Therefore we'd have the capital to make a huge trade splash in 23, if we so chose to do so.

He just may end up being an elite WR this time next year. I won't bet against him, because he is a quality person and hard worker. But as of today, I'm not betting on him either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Your top ten is hard to argue with. But I will make the argument that DJ is better than every single receiver you listed in you back 10. For the sake of compromise let's just say Diontae Johnson is a top 15 receiver.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    As long as it's not over priced, I'm fine with that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What???
    You think better than Lamb, Evans, Brown, and DK???
    This is not me being smart a$$. Seriously....Just a question. :thumbs_up:

9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I saw a panel of former NFL players about a week ago on the NFL Network listing their top 10 WR's for the upcoming season. They had Dionte Johnson listed 10th.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018

59 rec 680 yds 5 tds 6 drops

88 rec 923 yds 7 tds 13 drops

107 rec 1161 yds 8tds 5 drops

In DJ's 3rd year he posted his most receptions, yards, and tds. He coupled that with having the least drops of his career even with significantly more targets. He made this progression even while playing in one of the most anemic offenses in the league.

His numbers have improved every year for 3 years. Pay him now before he blows up in year 4 and the Steelers can no longer afford to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What everyone needs 2 understand....is that was with Ben. Different Qbs see different things ....Different ways. Do people not remember how AB disappeared anytime Ben was out....no matter who was playing QB???
    I believe AB played with 6 different Qbs here ,and not one td.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See my above take. Just giving my opinion. I'd wait.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Claypool can lead the team in yards, and TDs when he falls down on every pass thrown to him :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I absolutely do.

Evans and Metcalf are two of the most inconstant players in the league. Why would anyone rate Lamb over DJ? CeeDee put up simliar numbers, but the Cowboys were stacked at WR. He wasn't the focal point of a defense the way DJ was. DJ was literally the Steelers only legit receiver last season.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If DJ wants a contract like all these other WRs got this offseason let him walk after the season, I agree with you in the 15-18m range, he's not worth 22m. They can draft two WRs then let DJ leave in free agency next year.

• Like Like x 3
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :lolol:
    Hopefully He worked on this during the offseason. :thumbs_up:

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Fair enough. I think We may see different this year. Evans is a battle WRs....have You seen the catches they expect Him 2 make???

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I doubt DJ would net a first round pick in a trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    With bad Ben. I think thats even more in DJ’s favor of how good he is.

Trubisky should lock in on DJ the same way he did with Allen who had two 1,000 yard seasons playing with Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This is just me, but I consider Evans to be a one trick pony, much like I considered Mike Wallace a one trick pony. DJ is one of the best route runners in the league IMO. He can run routes that Mike Evans can not.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We will see. Just remember AB. 6 different Qbs played with Him here, and even with all that talent....He would disappear....until Ben came back I can say this until I'm blue in the face. Different Qbs see things differently.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. You do know He has put up over 1000 yards every year He's been in the NFL....8 straight years ....with 4,or 5 different Qbs.

• Like Like x 1
  23. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Look game by game though. He will disappear for a few weeks and then have a monster game. Like I said, inconsistent.

I don't know his exact numbers. I will have to look.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just have kept an eye on Him since He played with Johnny Manziel. Manziel wouldn't even been looked at if it wasn't for Evans.....Manziel would run around in circles, and just chunk it His way. Evans would go up pluck it out of the sky, and people that don't know football would say....Wow...Manziel is great. LoL.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I just looked at it. His career stats per season are impressive, no doubt.

But you can see the gaps in yardage when you look at his per game stats. He gets a ton of YPC. I still say hes a one trick pony. :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1