1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No to Hines, he's too green. We saw how former star players fared here before in Lake and Porter :shrug:.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Asst. Coach Blaine Stewart is working with the receivers now, per Steelers Depot. Also former Steelers OC Ray Sherman is working with the receivers.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They still have a game this week and have to move forward. I'm sure coach drake would agree. If we had a highly veteran squad that may be different but we dont. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Kevin Gorman‏Verified account @KGorman_Trib 35m35 minutes ago

Working with the wide receivers is Ray Sherman, a longtime NFL assistant who last coached in league with Rams from 2012-15. He was Steelers offensive coordinator in 1998. Coaching assistant Blaine Stewart, son of former WVU coach Bill Stewart, also is helping run position drills.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My recollections of Sherman are not pleasant ones. I think he was one of the guys I didn't like because A.)he didn't know how to play Steelers football and B.) He was one of the first ones to screw up Kordell's head. I can at least remember I didn't lose sleep when he was gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I had similar recollections, but that was a very long time ago and he's just assisting with the WR's now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I would agree if he was the main receivers coach but he is only an assistant gong into his second year... i could see Panthers wanting to hold onto him since he has a longer history with them..and is probably the heir apparent there..

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I understand but I still think we need to respect his passing and as such talking about replacing him is just for me in bad taste. You dont hae to agree with me.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think that having an experienced interim WR coach for 2019 is the best move. Look for the next long-term WR coach next offseason when many qualified coaches’ contracts are up. Just my view.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011

This is a hard time. I see it going one of two ways. The first it galvanize's the team through shared grief and the compete at levels undressed of. Much like when Mike Zimmer's wife died or Chuck Pagano had cancer.

The second way the dedicate the season to Coach Drake much like when Dan died but it doesn't propel their play.

Seeing the pictures from today are heartbreaking so I'm thinking it will be the first. The second while Dan Rooney was beloved and a fixture at camp and throughout the season, he wasn't a daily fixture in the players life like Coach Drake. So that is why I think they rise from this and become a great team.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I respect.your thinking my friend. This is a tough area to negotiate. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    this whole situation just sucks he seemed to be a genuinely good man and coach. The team seems to be really struggling with this and it’s right during development and training camp. Very unfortunate start to this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It would be worth a phone call to see if ju jus college WR coach Tee Martin would be interested in coaching his former student, I know he was hired by his former college team tenn as WR coach, in january, but just maybe he would be interested in getting back in the NFL as a coach instead of a player and for more money as a coach....

https://lasentinel.net/usc-receivers-coach-tee-martin-is-a-players-coach.html

15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree, Losing Drake is a top concern moving forward. Switzer & Rogers stock just went up to make the 53.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I already had Switzer as a lock, Eli, if he plays this week will need to seize the opportunity and had better flash to hold the bubble guys off.