1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Aug 12, 2019.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    As we all mourn the loss of Coach Drake, I'm sure the team will bring in a new coach at some point. I liked (as much as a fan can know) the way Coach Drake and his predecessor Coach Mann handled their duties. These last two coaches were long tenured coaches in college and the NFL. But we've also seen the FO give a young guy like Eddie Faulkner a chance.

Do they bring in a new or veteran coach? Entice Coach Mann out of retirement. Hines Ward is doing a coaching stint for the NY Jets. Is he a candidate?

I wanted them to take a look at the CSU WR coach but I checked this morning and he took a WR coaching position with Green Bay earlier this year.

Any candidates you guys like?

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think it would be tough for a college coach, who is currently on a team, to be hired just because of the timing. I would think they'd have to go with a coach currently without a team but I could be wrong. Or a former player.

3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If college coaches are in play, I'd think Darrell Wyatt and Tyron Carrier would be candidates. Wyatt for NFL connections to Tomlin and Carrier for local connections.

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I would imagine they wouldn't do a move very fast, out of the respect to the players and the Drake family. Keep in mind that Randy Fichnter has experience at several levels (college and NFL) coaching WR's. he was even Steelers WR coach from 2007-2009, he should be able to do both his duties for a little while, until they feel comfortable bringing in a new coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Let fichtner pull double duty this season and next season bring in Hines ward

• Like Like x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Then he would be responsible for 3 levels of the offense - OC, QB coach and WR coach. I don't see any way they do that, not with two young QB back ups and a younger WR room.

If Coach Mann is brought back I could see that being announced earlier than a new hire. But I don't see them waiting past the 3rd preseason game for whoever it is.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Randy is already doing double duty with OC and qbs. Especially with young qbs here right now. Id hope Mann may come back for a year. Our wr room is young too.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Mann, do whatever it takes, tell him it's just for a season.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Some former players maybe

William Gay was helping earlier this year. A bit inexperienced though
    Anquan Boldin
    Randy Moss
    Jericho Cotchery
    Calvin Johnson was helping guys in the draft IIRC

Moss would be an interesting candidate

10. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Cotchery sounds interesting...He is currently assistant WR coach for Carolina...don't know how that would work if we tried to hire him this close to season starting....although we do have a relationship with Panthers and Owner Tepper

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Maybe wait for a few. The man just passed.

12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    This group is very young and needs a mentor quickly. Real shame about Drake passing unexpectedly.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They can't wait too long. This is a skill position with plenty of youth and inexperience, they need a full time position coach and not someone splitting time. But yes be respectful and don't neon light the search but they need to be looking.

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    too soon

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Life goes on as tragic as this was. Mann and drake were special in their experience, not just any name will be as helpful. Mann was brought in because of inexperience before him with a young group, I hope we don't back track on this hire. :cool:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not disrespectful to be looking for a replacement. Season starts in a few weeks, they have a rookie and other new faces in the WR room. This is actually a pretty big blow, a new coach is going to take time to get acclimated. Drake would want them to fill the position asap.

Mann should be the first phone call.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Sorry Drake passed but the team needs a new coach as fast as they can get one, today wont be too soon.......

18. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Ron Cook seems to think Cotchery might be up for the job. Knows Tomlin, Close to Ben, Good Career and high character guy. Remember Steelers former minority owner bought the Panthers. They wouldn’t block that.

I would say with Cotchery or Hines. Both are only assistants and can leave for a promotion.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Agreed it does go on but we dont need to be talking about replacement 2 days after his death. If it was acceptable to do that then why not just have the team continue to practice and never miss a beat.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree Mann for this year bring Hines back for the year under Mann's tutelage then take over the following year when Mann goes back into retirement.

21. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Cotchery would be my choice... Love Hines but I think there might still be some animosity with Ben..also word is Hines was upset he didn't get offered the job last year after his "internship" in camp.... Hines is only interning again with the Jets..he isnt on their staff...yet.

22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Like you said earlier, and I didn't know until you posted, but he is on the Panther staff. I just don't know if that would be an option. I don't think the Steeler FO would try to take away another team's coach in season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    As for the timing of this thread, I wasn't trying to be callous. But the NFL and NCAA season is just getting underway and it will be harder to find candidates the deeper it gets. Like some have stated, I'm sure the Steelers aren't making this a high profile search out of respect for the Drake family and his memory. But I would expect something around just after the 3rd preseason game.

24. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Let Fichnter and Tomlin pull the double duty. I know, Randy F. also does QB's, but there was a time when the Steelers didn't even have a QB coach and it wasn't that long ago. It's also on Tomlin to help, that is what a head coach does, he's a manager and upper management helps lower management when needed. Tomlin does have experience in coaching WR's he did so in the college ranks.
    They will eventual bring in someone. But, give it a few weeks. If any of you passed away at your job it would be highly doubtful your employer would have a replacement in under 2 weeks time. Depending what you do of course.

I would imagine there will be new coach in 3 or so weeks time.

25. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015