1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Coach Scottie Montgomery Leaving For OC Job At Duke

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe randy fichtner takes them back over with being qb coach? he was the last wr. coach. haley and he would work with ben as well.:cool:

2. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I have to agree with those that wouldn't mind giving Hines a chance. I believe he gained coaching experience while he was playing and if you go back to some of his interviews he tells us the same thing. Honestly, how great of a coach do you have to be to be a receivers coach. These are the kinds of coaching positions that most coaches cut their teeth on, anyhow. Either he makes it or he doesn't, as with any new/young coach that is brought in for a chance. I think the bigger point here is, would he even want the job?

3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    3 down and 2 more to go. Here is keeping my fingers crossed.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Carnell Lake had done coaching interns and some assistant coaching (in basketball, I seem to recall). Not much, but some experience. Tomlin was a coach on a dominant superbowl winning team.

Hines is a receiver who we all loved to watch play. What most people seem to be saying here is: "We want all our receivers to be like Hines." Which is fine. But that's not what the job of a coach is.

5. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I do wonder if things are still a little "too soon" for a return to the fold.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not saying Hines wouldn't make a great coach, but he's not getting handed the job without some experience. He'll wave to intern at some training camps before he's even considered.

7. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I've read so many times on this board about wanting Charlie to be our QB coach. I don't understand why people don't think the same thing about Hines. I'm not aware of Charlie having any coaching experience. It seems that he somewhat mentors Ben. It also seemed that most of the WRs looked to Hines as a mentor. You can have respect for someone that used to do the same thing as you as long as you were respected while you were peers. People understand seniority. I'd be willing to give him a chance.

8. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I say exactly the same thing about Batch. The argument there is even worse: CB should be a coach because he's a mentor to Ben... but (in the same breath) Ben needs to settle down and watch film and play better! You can't have it both ways. There is an argument you could say the same about Hines - he was a "mentor" to the young money crew, but in the same breath people want to blast them for being soft. Well, which is it? Just because Hines has been gone a few months they forget everything he taught them? Is that effective mentorship?

I should add - I'm not arguing one way or the other as to whether Hines was a good mentor or not. What I'm saying is, people seem to want to have it both ways here, and it just doesn't add up if you do.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Half the guys on this MB have more coaching experience than Hines and Charlie combined. Playing and coaching aren't the same thing.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Just wanted to bump this up with a piece of new information. Reportedly, Duke offered Scottie Montgomery a $500,000 raise as an incentive to take the OC job.

[tweet]304989020822327296[/tweet]

11. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Boy, I'd say he jumped on that offer, unlike the reports that the steelers "forced" him out. Wonder what these reporters who write this stuff think when new information comes out like this lol