1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR Coach Scottie Montgomery Leaving For OC Job At Duke

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Feb 8, 2013.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This is good news.

[tweet]299891023667154946[/tweet]

Before being the WR coach here, he was the WR coach at Duke for four years. He also played at Duke, where he was a two-time MVP.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well maybe we can get somebody in there that will emphasize the fundamentals of the position. We really looked rather lacking in that area this year. Who's available?

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I doubt that Hines Ward is interested in coaching, but it certainly seemed that the drop off in performance of our young guys coincided with his departure. I'm guessing that he was a great "coach on the field" and influence on the young guys while he was here. However, I am not up on who might be available with prior NFL WR coaching experience. I agree that the new coach needs to stress fundamentals and get our young guys back on track. Last year our WR unit was sloppy.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't believe there are many former WR coaches on the market at this point. Most of the NFL guys who lost their jobs on Black Monday have already been hired to the same, or a smaller position somewhere else. It wouldn't surprise me to see a fresh face to replace Montgomery.

I do know that Nick Sirianni is available. He doesn't have a lot of experience as WR coach, but he was Todd Haley's Offensive Quality Control Coach. *In his Twitter bio he describes himself as "Todd Haley's illegitimate love-child; now the Kansas City Chiefs' orphaned WR Coach" :lolol:

*My bad, that's a spoof account. Albeit a funny one. Also, it turns out he was hired by the Chargers as their new OQC Coach last week, so forget I said anything.

6. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    bringing in Hines would be a huge mistake. just because he played the position doesnt mean he can coach it. bring in a guy that has proven he can do the job and a guy that the players will respect. its hard to respect a guy as your boss when you where playing with him less than 2 years ago.

7. steelio

steelio Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I wonder how many of these coaches are leaving like Bruce Arians retired. Some of the jobs don't seem like upgrades.

8. Dick Shiner

Dick Shiner Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2012

You make some good points.

Just to play devil's advocate:

1.) "Just because he played the position doesn't mean he can coach it." But it doesn't mean he can't . . .

2.) "It's hard to respect a guy as your boss when you were playing with him less than 2 years ago." That would definitely hold true in the real world. And it may very well hold true here too . . . unless, of course, the guys you will be coaching are much younger and REALLY looked up to you, respected you, and trust you. Wallace and Sanders would probably be on board. Plaxico and Cotchery . . . different story.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Of course, I'm not saying I'd hire him, but I don't see why he shouldn't be a major consideration, should he want the job (which I doubt). He was great at the position, seemed to be good at teaching younger guys while he was a player, and is very likable. And of course he knows the team inside and out, including the current players on the roster. That's a great start. Same reasons so many people think Charlie Batch would make a great QB coach. For all we know he might turn out to be terrible, but looking at him right now, it's easy to see why he could turn out to be great.

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Our young, promising receivers all regressed last season. You guys might be onto something.

BA and Ray Horton both got promoted out of here, and that turned out to be great for everyone. Have fun, Scottie.

11. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The coaching pool for this job is huge. How many NCAA teams have WR coaches? Well, any of those guys who wants to move to the NFL eventually could be options. Add in those guys who are currently unemployed and you have a nice selection to work from.

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    good news seems in some way we are sending away coach that underperformed

13. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    We need a coach who will teach the WRs to fight for the ball in the air like Anquan Boldin does for all the hail Mary passes Flacco throws his way without even looking. I'm sick of easy ints by the other team because the receivers don't look for and fight for the ball.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Chris Carter comes to mind.

15. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

lol.. you're kiddin right?

HINES

16. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    no.

im not saying it would be the worst thing, but its not something im hoping for. i would much rather see an established guy come in.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm thinking Cam Cameron, since he was a Raven and most people on here seem to be in the middle of a Raven love fest. I don't seem to recall this much love for players and coaches of the Giants, Packers, or Saints.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Is anyone on the phone with Hines ward ?

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Just because a player was good, doesn't mean he will be a great coach. Often, it turns out they are not a great coach because it is too hard for them to bestow what made them great to the guys they are coaching. Most great players don't know why they are great in the first place, they always had the talent.

Was Mike Singletary a great coach? Was Joe Greene a great defensive coordinator? Is Michael Jordan a great GM/owner?

20. lovembig

Oct 30, 2011
    exactly. most great coaches were not very good players. its usually the guys that had less talent and had to work extra hard just to stay in the league that make good coaches.

i know theres a major love affair with Hines with some people around here, but enough with bringing him in as a coach.

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You guys are killing me. By what you said Hines Ward is who they should bring in.

1. Those guys respected him while he was on the team.
    2. He was never the fastest or the tallest, but busted his ass to be the best he could be.
    3. He had the fundamentals down.
    4. He understood the whole offense positions. Played both offense and defense in college.

Does this mean he's the best coach out there for the team? Maybe or maybe not, but they definitely regressed last season and it's no coincidence that it was under the guy who's leaving after Ward left.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think the point is more that, for all that's right in what you say, Hines is not the best coach to bring in because he's not a coach. At least, not yet. Let him do some internship, shadowing, get some coaching experience.

If all that was needed in a coach was to be an inspirational player, teams wouldnt bother employing them.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I had a problem with Montgomery during Hines' last year here...the young wr's were messing up their hot routes often and it was getting Ben drilled. It wasn't just this past season that I thought our WR's weren't up to snuff.

I think they can upgrade at this coaching spot.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I thought I was the only one who nooticed the Raven love fest.

25. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Every great coach had to get a start somewhere.... I'm all for taking a chance on a first time coach. Especially one who excelled at his craft.. I don't see anyone b****ing about carnell lake... we gave mike tomlin his first head coaching gig, over what appeared to be better candidates at the time...... sometimes these things work out, sometimes they don't...sometimes you just have to grow a set, and take a chance