1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WR added

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Apr 14, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Saeed blacknall. Penn state. XFL. 6-2 208 24 reps. 4.37. :cool:

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Steelers are loving they’re XFL guys right now.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Throwing as much **** against the wall to see what sticks as they can. Not a bad strategy but chances are extremely slim any of them pan out.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  5. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    If he can get open like Limas, catch like Moncrief, and run routes like Coates...we might really have something here!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    You forgot take tests like martavis, execute traffic stops like santonio, think like AB, and shoot like plaxico.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Keep in mind that while these signings may seem a bit excessive, the current circumstances allowed such signings to take place to begin with. Given the uncertainty of when a treatment or even cure for COVID 19 will be found, additional measures that are available must be taken. The XFL is such a gateway as a starting point.

Sure, I also do not expect many, if any of these former XFL players to crack the Practice Squad and nevermind the Final 53. Most of these guys are still, former practice squad players and former players who could never stick on an NFL Roster. Much of their abilities are relatively unknown despite playing some organized games.

However, rolling the dice on players who have had playing time and were known commodities during the existence of the XFL is better than essentially throwing darts in the dark blind-folded in the upcoming draft due to the current state of affairs. Nevermind not going to a player's pro day, meeting up with that player is another challenge all together. Sure one can video chat but that aspect presents so many unanswered questions with unknown possibilities; reading body language being one of the most critical. It really does stink overall.

That said, I personally do like not just the signing of Saaed but the other XFL Players as well. It gives the team a fail safe should anything detrimental happen to one of the rookies. It also safeguards the team from being unprepared in case of mounting injuries overall as well.

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Big as Hell, Fast as Hell, Strong as Hell.....Must not be able to catch :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yeah, there is something with him that doesn't add up. He had only 50 career receptions in 4 years at Penn State. He was an academic all-american so he is smart as well as extremely athletic. Maybe that's the problem he just can't catch a football.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    See above.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Limas ....

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Never heard of him, he must suck :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It might come down to when he was at PSU and the teams he played on. I remember it was really a 3 headed monster their for a bit on offense. It was Barkley, Geisiki, and a receiver with quite a bit of QB option plays. I don't remember them going a lot to 2nd and 3rd receivers.

15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Either way he'll get his shot in camp. Root for em all may the best men win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

One thing they talked about of many players in the xfl was they had injuries in camp or in an early preseason and were cut before they really had a chance to show what they could do. They are not all there because they stunk. Guys get hurt and teams just don't keep them around or have the time to keep them around and move to the next healthy guy at the time.:cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we had 12-14 udfas at different points on our roster last year alone and starting games. It's not as extremely slim as you think. They make up a pretty good size portion of most teams.:cool:

18. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I was looking at his college highlight tape ...nice height & speed ...but a ton of catches using his chest ..not much hands

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’d have to see the numbers but I am highly doubtful he beats out any of the drafted guys we have already at WR.
    JUJU,JW,DJ ,Cain, Switzer. Who’s next Darboh? Another draft pick next week.

I’d be interested to see how many UDFAs make a 53 man roster. Not interested in who makes up the PS the guys have to come from somewhere. The draft is what 250 players a year? 450+ UDFAs every year. Of course there’s gonna be quite a few on a roster, where else they gonna come from? but how many turn out to be starters? We have a few on the team, mostly OL. I have more faith in the guys who have stuck around for a few years and have had a chance to develop. Munch had a huge role in that. I’m not sure Sarrett is the same OL whisperer. The UDFA well might be drying up on the OL.

So when you consider almost twice as many UDFAs flood the market each year than drafted guys it’s not hard to imagine a NFL roster is gonna have their share of them. Even at those odds very few make a actual name for themselves. Pretty confident any of the guys we picked up from the XFL won’t be any different....like I said not a bad strategy there’s nothing to lose but it’s still basically throwing crap against a wall. Eventually if you throw enough you’ll get something.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the draft is the same way. Look at who is on this team from the last 10 drafts. The offensive line does count. You can't pick and choose. :cool:

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Where did i say it didn’t count? What I said was you had Munchak to develop them. Probably the top 3 OL coaches in the league. It remains to be seen if Sarrett can do the same.

You have half as many players drafted so of course there are better odds for UDFAs. The roster has to be built somehow. Still how many actually make up a roster and are big contributors? How many of our starters are UDFAs? How many UDFAs on our roster have proven anything so far? Of course you’re gonna have them, there are twice as many every year with a opportunity. If the draft was 12 rounds how many UDFAs would you have?

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You can’t go back 10 years. What is the average NFL career? You can go back though and look at how many UDFAs were on our rosters and how every year we have a revolving door of PS additions and transactions and see how many of these no name guys never even got a chance to step on the field never mind contribute significantly.

23. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Iowasteeljim said:

If he can get open like Limas, catch like Moncrief, and run routes like Coates...we might really have something here!

:drinks:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  24. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he was so fast and smart he outran the football? I'm just spit-balling here.