1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow... No Respect For Noll.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, Oct 13, 2016.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers didn't draft as well in the 80's as they did in the 70's... obviously. Not drafting Dan Marino in '83 was a big mistake... probably the biggest mistake the Steelers ever made as an organization after the Super Bowl years in the 70's. Had Marino been drafted... the Steelers would have at least 10 trophies in their case. Imagine Marino with those Cowher teams in the early to mid 90's. :eek!:

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The one thing I've always wondered about watching Marino play for the Steelers is would he have had the crazy numbers he did in Miami. The reason I wonder this is because the Steeler way was run it and take the air out of it so much that I wonder if Marino would have just been constantly slinging it.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Marino never really had a run game in Miami to balance out their attack. With the Steelers, he would have had Barry Foster, Bam Morris and Jerome Bettis.. who were all better than any RB Miami had over Marino's career. Yes... Marino probably wouldn't have had the stats, but he sure as hell would have had some rings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I think about the BB quote..“I'll beat you with my team today, and I'll beat you with your team tomorrow.”....

....and believe Noll would win over most coaches above him on that list.

5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    There should be two categories. "Most Innovative" and "Best"

"Innovative" category should include the cheaters, the unethical, etc, in addition to those who honestly innovated. Madden was one of the best "innovators" I ever saw. Belicheat is truly an all around innovator.

"Best" coaches are those who drafted well, coached up their players at a high level and won.

What that guy who wrote the article should respect is Noll built the Steelers of the 70`s including the `78 team which is considered the best team ever and won 4 Super Bowls with the players he drafted. That alone gets him in the top 3 IMO.

6. funkysteelersfan

funkysteelersfan Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    If Belichek was the best of all time he would've succeeded at Cleveland or at least would not have needed an injury to Bledsoe see the greatness in Brady

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    You like to set the bar waaaayyyyy up there, dontcha?

But I don't know. He averaged a 5-9 record over his five seasons in CLE, and they even made the playoffs.

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think it's more about how people are like: Bellichick can win with any players! That's how amazing he is as a coach, talent spotter and strategist!

When his actual record (not just the career highlights) says he's very good, but not near the hyperbole many - including some around here - laud on him incessantly.

And that's before we get into the asterisks...

9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Fixed. Yeah, he's sure confident in his team.. That's why he's always digging in the rulebook for loopholes.

10. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I saw that list when it came out. I started to post it but it pissed me off enough that I couldn't do it without all the 4 letter words I could think of.

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Funny that Landry made the top ahead of Noll and Walsh. Put Landry into the same category as Schottenheimer, sheesh a 2-3 super bowl record? No thanks, top coaches should be nearly impeccable in the big ones..... aka, Walsh and Noll are undefeated in SB's. You can't argue that point, especially with the #1 on the list being caught cheating TWICE during his run. Sensationalist media at it's best.

12. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Bear Bryant was who the original quote was from.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I saw BB and thought Belicheat because of the thread

14. mgsmooth

Aug 14, 2016
    Lol

15. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Most experts never admit or agree on anything. They even argue who is best qb of alltime , who is the best runnning back of all time. There are even knitwits that think michael jordan is not the greatest ever but if you asked 100 nfl experts who had the most talented nfl team of alltime for a 8-10 yr stretch I bet you 99 of them would say the 70 steelers and that is what hurts Noll and Has hurt Bradshaw............

16. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    For the most part those steelers teams probably would have won another superbowl if it was not for injuries...... It was not nolls fault.......

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With due respect... the 49ers of the 80's could make that argument as well.

18. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Considering he was voted Coach of the Year in the same year they were penalized for the videotaping... I think this is already a lost cause.

• Like Like x 1
  19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is a very good point actually. Lets use Bill Walsh as an example. He was very innovative and did things people hadn't seen before. He also took an awful 49'ers team and made them into a dynasty. Clearly that's brilliant coaching, but to be one of the best ever, IMO, you need longevity. Could he have kept it up if he continued coaching? In all likelihood, yes, he would have. Now he's just an example. I take no issue with him in the top 5, but when you only do the job for 9 years, the question needs to be asked about whether they could have kept it up or not.

John Madden is another example, except he took over a very good team and maintained it in an era with no free agency. He did it for 10 years. Could he have taken a bad team and made them good? Could he have kept it up for longer? Those are questions that should be asked.

Lombardi is in the same spot, but everything he touched turn to gold. He took a crappy Packers team and turned them into a dynasty. When he left they fell apart the next season. He then took the Skins and turned them around and left a winning team for years to come. Not much in the way of longevity, but like Walsh, there's every reason to believe he could have kept it up

There's also the issue of then vs now. It's a harder game to coach now, so all you can really do is compare coaches to their peers at the time. An all time list is kind of impossible to do. Noll was the best coach in the 70's but I don't see how anyone can say he was better than Walsh in the 80's. These days I don't see how anyone can say it's not Belichek. You almost do need to break it down into 10 year increments due to how much the game changes every decade.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I've always agreed with your logic , but it's hard to argue with the long term facts. Maybe Cleveland is just cursed?

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Considering that the Cavaliers won theirs and the Indians might do the same (keyword is "might" bluntforce), the Browns may in fact be. I still want Hue Jackson to exorcise those demons, but given the fact that he has went through 5 different quarterbacks already.. it is hard enough to win a game; let alone come close.

22. tyler christopher

Jan 20, 2016
    The 80s 49ers were not close to the 70s steelers on defense. No team was for a 8-10 yr stretch

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not talking about defense.

More so success.