1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wow. Haley taking credit for AB, Bell and Ben.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Well, He isn't wrong about those players successes. He did however handcuff Ben at very crucial times.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Its fitting he is now a clown...

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Holy crap you're an over exaggerator.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think Haley did a tremendous job while he was in Pittsburgh. In the end, the petulant child won out. We'll see how well things go now that Ben Fichtner is the OC. If Pittsburgh doesn't make some material changes on defense for 2018, I'm sure Haley will be licking his chops to go up against us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    OK, how super obvious is it that he road their coat tails, not the other way around. If not, tell me which Browns will be putting up AB, Bell and Ben's #'s next season. Anyone want to tell me, I will be all ears. This guy is an a hole. It is obvious. No wonder Ben was willing to retire than work with Todd anymore.

7. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Offer specifics. He mentioned all of them as if it was his coordination that made them successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Did you ever pad your resume?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He said "we developed them" not "I"

10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Dude, you don't have to tell me Todd is an A hole. I've known that since I was a teenager 30 some years ago but he isn't completely lost in how to create plays that does benefit his players. He will have some success in Cleveland but then again a 2 win season is success in of itself. His problem (other than his ego) is the same as BA. He doesn't know how to use the playbook to his advantage in regards to game management. It's basically a mere image of his previous head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be fair, Ben has taken less big hits during Haley's time here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I hear you, but in all honesty, we know Steelers O rolls when Todd's not calling the plays. He sucks. Ben and AB make him look so much better than he is.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm not disagreeing, but that had a lot to do with rule changes, IMO.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe. I think you can see the difference as well, though. Ben played generally more disciplined under Haley. Whether that was him maturing as a player as well could also be argued. But Haley would have definitely been an influence.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just to play devil's advocate (I'm not a Haley fan), but this could be a little too simplistic... If Ben goes no huddle, I doubt he's had no input whatsoever from Haley on which play will work when, what part of the D to work on, which plays to use in the no huddle, etc. etc. In fact, if Haley wasn't helping to shape the no huddle aspect of the offense, then he really wouldn't doing his job. We're a long way from QBs running offenses in the way that Bradshaw called his own plays - defences are too complex for that now.

Maybe P Manning is the exception, as I think about it, but still.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree at least as far as saying Haley done a great job. As far as the Ben comment uncalled for, imo Ben has earned the right to be vocal. In the end these two should have put their differences aside and known that they had something special here and should have tried to make it work for the best of the team. I have stuck up for Haley but if he was so bad that Ben couldn't even talk to him like what was reported than that goes back to Tomlin for letting it get that far, jmo.

Anyways he is gone Ben is still here and wants to be here so I am hoping for a monster season for this offense. :thumbs_up:

17. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The "petulant child" comment? Eh, maybe it was a little harsh but how many times have we heard Ben throw Haley under the bus, Tomlin under the bus, etc. after a game? Coaches call the game, but doesn't Ben have the leeway to change a play at the LOS and audible into something different? For instance, if Ben sees the DL leaning a certain way on a 4th and one doesn't he have the ability to change the play from a pass play to a sneak? I believe he does and if he doesn't then why not? Ben loves to throw the rock downfield and Haley was always allowing him to do what he loved. But he should always be allowed to change the play if he gets a certain coverage he doesn't like or if he sees an opening in the defensive line allowing for a sneak. But if the play goes awry it's always "you'll have to ask the coaches" or "that play came from the sidelines" or "blah, blah, blah". Thus my petulant child remark. Maybe I should have just said he's passive-aggressive and left it at that. :shrug:

But I do agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence! :thumbs up: Just hoping the defense can add some key pieces and look somewhat competent.

18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    My biggest problem with Keith Butler is that sometimes the defense looks like an unorganized mess. My biggest problem with Bruce Arians was that sometimes his offense would look like an unorganized mess.

I can not make the same criticism of Haley. Love him or hate him his offense was organized and was much more pleasing on the eye than the deep strike or sack offense Arians ran. I do give Haley credit for keeping Ben healthy and making him a more disciplined player.

Where I find fault with Haley was his situational play calling. He really struggled in this area. So hopefully that improves. Bottom line is Ben has his boy in charge now. No excuses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Oh sure, he said "we" but it's still BS. As if AB, Ben and Bell wouldn't have been pro bowlers without Todd and others "developing" them. That is total hog wash. There is no question TH is trying to take credit for those players. To listen to him, if I'm an out-of-touch Browns fan, I think Crowell will put up Bell #'s, Kizer will turn into Ben and Corey Coleman will rock like AB.

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I have no problem with you talking about Ben my problem is if you think this was all one sided. I don't know who's fault it was or if there was even a fault. All I know is with Haley our offense was pretty good. Yeah you are going to have problems and yeah people aren't going to agree but that is fine. Play calling is a area where many want to ding Haley but my response to that is this. Do you all think any play is designed to fail? I mean if the play is in the book and there is confidence in running it then run it. You look like a fool when it don't work but when it does work your a genius...........:smiley1:

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Again huge overreaction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    You must not have listened to the entire thing.