1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you......

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by R2sojr, Jan 29, 2021.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Can we just tell the Texans we will trade Watt for Watson straight up? And then send them Derrick instead?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Let’s be clear, it was never going to take just Watt LOL

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    No.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    what would you value him at ?

5. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Absolutely. Mack got two firsts. Jalen Ramsey got two firsts and a fourth.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Watson 25 is a year younger that Watt 26. Be realistic who will have a better chance of playing at a elite level in their mid 30`s. A QB or an Edge rusher.

Look at the haul Detroit just got for Stafford , who hasn`t won anything.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I figured he was worth at least that ...So him and a 1st. and 2nd. would probably get Watson even if you had to trade Watt to another Team for the picks ...I wouldn't do it right now because we have to many holes , now if the Team was complete I just might ..

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well since Watson already missed a season because of a non contact injury. Not sure.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Stafford's not worth it either

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Our chance was always slim to none, now it’s non existent.

You might be right, maybe no one can trade fore him now.

Then again, the Rams just showed that there is always a chance a GM does something very stupid.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think we all need to be realistic. This is a "what if" scenario. None of us here are owners nor GMs. It's real easy to spend other people's money! You'd make the imaginary trade, I wouldn't..........

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The Rams are in a win now mode. They have a highly paid all-star roster that they cannot afford to keep for too long, a multi-billion dollar stadium that won’t be filled if they don’t win and the threat of being upstaged by the Chargers. They are a desperate team and this trade is proof of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They have been operating like this for years, haven’t had a 1st rd pick since 2016.

Definitely not afraid to take chances and for the most part, it’s working for them but this one is really high risk, 32 year old QB coming off a back injury.

I think Detroit definitely got the better end of the deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True Dat, Detroit got a win - win. Got rid of a QB who wanted out (older than the replacement) and two 1st rd picks. Nowhere to go but up for them. LA seemingly has thrown in all of their chips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Rams been throwing all their chips in since they got Sean Mc Vay. So far all it's got them was a SB loss. Guess we will see. Eventually it will all catch up. So they better hope they get more than a SB loss out of it. I've seen teams do a lot less 2 lose a SB.. without mortgaging their future away .

16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I wouldn't do it... Regardless of the TJ love and all and knowing that Watson has the tools but not sold on him as a franchise slinger but know full well HE VERY WELL COULD BE... I don't have a lot of faith in this staff and its apparent lack of football acumen to make it a great trade. Or perhaps it really is all Ben's fault or Ben's desire as to why the O rolls as it has for awhile now. I'd hate to make the trade for another few years of wasted or let go talent due to ineptitude from the FO.

17. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
  18. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I’m going to use the logic that so many here use. Steelers go 12-4, but didn’t make it to the SB. It’s all Ben’s fault. Houston goes 4-12. Not Watson’s fault. There more to winning or losing than the QB. Not saying I wouldn’t take him for TJ, but we still wouldn’t win it all.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I'd do it without second guessing...Its a no brainer to me if we're talking straight up.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree straight up is a no brainer. Will take more than TJ WATT to get Watson here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Nobody plays for the future. When you know you're going to be up against the cap in the near future and will lose some of your top players, it's brilliant to go all in. Every team should do it, but not all do. The only goal is to win the SB. I would rather win 1 SB and finish dead last for 5 years then compete every year but never be good enough to win it.

Of course that's easier said than done. What does going all in even mean? The coach and GM could look at their current team and think it's good enough without selling the future. It's not black and white.

But the Rams know what they have in Goff and that's someone that isn't good enough to get over the hump. Stafford is much, much better. So good for them for doing it. If they win, it's easily worth it

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And if they don't? Be the Browns in 2 years

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Are they really mortgaging their future away, though? No first round picks in the last four years, but they've drafted 36 players. They supplement in free agency with proven star power.

"All it's got them" is a lot more than the Steady As She Goes Steelers have to show for in the last ten years.

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry but I’m not buying that. You’d all lose your mind if this team only won 4 or 5 games a year.

The main goal is always to win the SB but the first goal is to win the division first.

I’d rather be the Steelers competing every year and not win the SB then be a perennial 5 win team that doesn’t win the SB.

That 1 SB is not guaranteed no matter how you approach it, I’ll take the team that is competitive every year that makes the playoffs more often than not.

The Rams actually would have won a SB with Goff had Cooks actually held onto the ball in the endzone so the idea that they can’t win with Goff is false. Maybe the chance improves with Stafford but he’s 32 with back issues. Big risk they paid a hefty price for. Sooner or later dealing all those first rd picks will catch up to them. Better have a SB to show for it because it’s going to be cold and dark in LA for a long time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I agree. The Rams have been throwing chips into the aggressive versus more-sustainable percentages for a few years. (One could argue that it hasn't served that well after extending Goff with a huge contact two years early, then deeming him not able to lead them to a Lombardi despite the rest of the playmakers they have by the end of his original contract. If not for Detroit they would likely have been stuck with it.) A healthy combo is ideal, but I'd prefer having a consistently solid foundation. The Rams could still hope to achieve that, but with no first round picks over seven consecutive years, the percentages aren't in their favor.

Their window of higher percentage is limited to the next 2-3 years.

• Agree Agree x 2