1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you want Norv Turner as our OC?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It doesn't matter who the Steelers bring in as the next OC. Fans will find faults in that OC's offense and disagree with play calling.

2. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Good point, Bruce really has got this high power offense rolling... on the floor in the fetal position. I understand what you're saying to a degree, but seriously, Bruce sucks!

3. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Amen KnoxVegas!
    :this!:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldn't be so sure of that. Maybe the light would go on for everyone else that Norv hasn't been a good HC anywhere he has gone. Bum Phillips is a good DC but a bad HC, once again he has returned to being a DC and is doing a very good job with the Texans. However, I doubt he will get any calls for a HC position next season.

5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    You know, I can't stand BA in the least, and think he is severely handicapping this offense. Now having said that, I think he actually does draw up some decent plays from time to time, he just has NO CLUE on how to successfully call a game. I'd actually wouldn't be opposed to keeping him on to design plays but give the play calling duties to someone else. I think if you were to put someone with a smart football mind (think ex QB that could read a defense) in the booth and he could see what is going on, him calling Bruce's plays could really work.
    But, that won't happen, so I'll take Norv Turner. Hell, I'd take Ike Turner and he's dead

6. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    While this is true to some extent. I can tell you that I never had that many complaints about many of the other OC, except 1 that I recall. I never complained about Whis, Gailey, Mularkey, but I did not like was Erhardt (as his complex scheme did not fit the players we had). I was not thathigh on Gilbride either.

I can say that what BA so frustrating is that we have a franchise QB in his prime surrounded by a lot of talent/firepower and we cannot score points, even though the league is geared to favor the offense.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just heard on the radio I think it was the wfan in New York that some San Diego paper is reporting that the Chargers are leaning towards firing Norv at the end of the season,so you never know.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Here in San Diego it's (semi) official that Spanos will dump Norv at the end of the year and will probably get rid of A.J. Smith as well.
    "San Diego Chargers. Commitment to Mediocrity"

:herewego!:

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe. Lots of guys are good coordinators and terrible coaches, but they still float around and continue to be "recycled." Owners and GMs say, "Wow, you've been a professional NFL coach for 10 years! You must be great! Wade Phillips is a great example. Right now he's a DC, but how was it he got hired to be the Cowboys' coach in the first place? We already knew he stunk! He'll be a HC again someday if he waits long enough.

Anyway, sometimes the light turns on, sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if someone hired Norv as a head coach next year or the year after.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i like this and have said it for a couple of years now. i think randy would be a great OC. he won't play it like BA. fitchner likes the run game too and mixed it in very well at memphis. he also did it without the big time recruits at that school. qb or rb. he just has to go along with BA's program while BA's here. i think RF would make this talent run very smooth here, with this talent. alot of things wouldn't have to change and the transition would be smooth with him already being here. implementing his offense shouldn't be a major changeover like going into somewhere completely new. :good: :cool:

11. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'd go for anyone besides Arians at this point, and I think Norv is a pretty good coach he just doesn't manage the team very well. In a coordinator position that weakness is kind of lessened by other coaches. However, the team seems dedicated to Arians for some reason. :/

12. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Turner being the one that called 3 straight inside runs in OT last week for no gain vs the Broncos while they were looking at a 53 yard FG, leading to a miss and eventual Loss. That sounds to me like not knowing how to call a game

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Probably the OC that called those plays, his job after all.

14. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/72916 ... b-security
    "Turner was criticized for his play-calling on Sunday, especially in overtime. Additionally, he said after the game that he didn't have an explanation for why running back Ryan Mathews, who was having the best game of his two-year career, was on the sideline for the final two plays before Nick Novak missed a 53-yard field goal attempt that would have won it.

With a first-and-10 on the Denver 35, Turner called three straight running plays. Mathews gained three yards before being replaced by Mike Tolbert, who gained one yard to the 31 before being stuffed for a four-yard loss to the 35 before Novak missed."

Uhhh no.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You do know that the OC probably still called those plays right? Turners the HC though so the buck stops with him and reporters are going to come to him for an explanation but ever think he's just not throwing his OC under the bus??? Most coordinators dont speak to the media, the HC does the talking. Unless Norv regularly takes the play calling away from his OC then most likely he didn't call those plays. Otherwise people around here need to start directing their anger at Tomlin and not Arians. But, most likely it was the OC, that's why you have them. :good: