1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you want Norv Turner as our OC?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Colssteel

Colssteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, the running game has been pretty productive under Norv Turner. Ever heard of Ladanian Tomlinson? Emmitt Smith?

If we were able to get him, he would be a perfect compliment to "terrible as a head coach, but perfect as a coordinator", Dick Lebeau.

I would welcome Norv with open arms.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Some guys just aren't cut out to be HCs. Take our DC for one...

I'd take Norv over BA any day and twice on Sundays.

3. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I wasnt aware of his history with emmitt smith.....but with the offensive line that cowboys team had its doesnt quite change my mind on turner....as for tomlinson he ruined his career in SD, As soon as he got their it was phillip rivers team.......I had tomlinson on my fantasy team 2 of the years under turner and he was nothing special because Turners offensive game-plan was throwing it 40 times with rivers and giving Tomlinson like 10 carries.

4. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    it was the OC it didnt have anything to do with LT age?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    LT was getting hit with the injury bug when Norv took over, plus he was on the downside of his career. Besides, this is about Norv as a OC not an HC, he's very good at one and not the other.

6. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Read a story today about our QB coach looking at a college team

Bman

7. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    True. That of course needs to be considered and is a great point. I felt like Tomlinson could've continued to carry the team at least one more year (this would be turners 1st year as HC) but turner kind of phased him out......but like you pointed out I dont truly know the circumstances as to why it appeared that way.

And yes we are talking about OC and not HC thats also a great point. Truth is I'd take him ....as I am from time to time a HUGE BA hater.

All I want is a OC that adapts to the FLOW OF THE GAME. They say BA can script one hell of a 1st drive and thats evident....but when the game starts to flow and the defenses start changing to stop what you're doing...... BA is terrible here as he tries to be stubborn and say "this is what we're going to do, just try and stop it......then teams do and we lose , or come damn close.

8. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Guys we gotta face it. BA ain't too bad. We been winning with him.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Winning in spite of BA. Big difference...

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No. I would prefer a young and innovative OC. The older ones tend to be stuck in their ways and easier to defend.

11. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Oh yeah, BTW didn't we win a SB with Hartwig at center? Doesn't mean that he was great or should have even been on an NFL roster. BA is bringing this offense down and as long as he is the OC, the O will never play up to their potential. They'll continue to play like a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest.

12. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Now if only Arians would retire we'd have the perfect storm... no heir apparent, open OC spot, and newly unemployed Norv...

13. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao: Pimplydan.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I love how that became his name :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yes, while he wouldn't be my first choice I'd take him in a nano-second over BA. I guarantee we'd see our RZ production go up as we wouldn't see any more of those silly 5-wide sets inside the 10. I think Mendy would really take off under Norv and be much more involved in the passing game.

15. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Please, a no brainer. BA cannot even carry Norv's jock strap! Hopefully BA retires or gets a college job next year an save us the misery. It's time for him to move on. Not many people like him in Pittsburgh as the OC. He stinks as an OC. Our offense struggles most of the time, even with the pansy team, like KC, and Jacksonville. After all that talk about how good the offense was suppose to be this season, a big play offense. Well it has not happened. Its so bad that we the fans have to suffer through all of BA's BS week end and week out. Somebody help me, can I get an amen! Our offense doesn't even average 30 point a game, how bad is that. Wallace is a no show now, and they don't use Miller all that much. It's just a darn right ashame that we always have to debate about BA every week. MOst of the time it's real negative.

Let's just say, it's time for BA to move on> For KevDude: FIRE BRUCE ARIANS IMMEDIATLY!!!!

16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    AMEN

17. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yes.
    As a matter of fact, I believe that either Goofy or Humpty Dumpty could take over and the Steelers offense could run more efficiently.

18. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Pimplydan has a better game plan than Arians, that's for sure. I'll take "lose no more games" over "well, it didn't work the first time so let's try it again" any day.

19. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Norv IS a great OC and we'd be lucky to have him. However, there are two problems with hiring him:

1. It won't happen, because "we" the team love BA, and
    2. He'd probably only do it for a year before getting a head coaching job by some team that doesn't understand we keep records of stuff and only know he's famous. For example, he did a great job as OC with SF and then was hired to replace the fired Marty Schottenheimer because SD was not content with their 14-2 record and playoff loss, which he had nothing to do with.

Point is, he'd be gone in a year and we'd be looking for a new one already. Although I bet plenty of people here would be happy with that.

20. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    30 point per game!!! Ha!!! -- I think we are barely above 20 point per game this year and around the bottom 3rd of the league (something like 19th). The Jets score more points per game than we do, and that is with Sanchez! Carolina scores more per game, the Bengals do, the Giants and the lowly Chargers do too. Right behind us are the offensive juggernauts of Tennessee and Denver and they are the only two teams with winning records who are below the Steelers.

With the talent we have at the QB position and on the offense in general, this is truely pathetic! Norv Turner at OC would have this team definitely in the top 3rd of the league (especially considering we have a top defense). And it would make our defense even better as the offense would be productive.

21. Homestead____Works

Homestead____Works Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Norv over Arians? Absolutely. Hel, I'd take Pimplydan over Arians.

I tried to think of something funny, but, really no way to top this!
    With "The Pimply One" we'd..., do I really need to re-state those infamous words?

22. NecessaryRoughness

NecessaryRoughness Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    In 2008, I was convinced that the Bolts would finish 6-10 and Norv would get fired. I was heartbroken when they made the playoffs and Norv kept his job.

YES YES YES!

So we get a year out of him, Ben learns how to run a real offense, and then Batch becomes OC.

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  24. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'm not saying it wouldn't be the right thing to do, but the Steelers generally hate turnover. There's no guarantee that we get a good OC at the end of it. Would Batch be ready? Would he do it? Would he be any good? Would some other guy be any good? These are questions that I'm guessing the team does not want to answer or think about, and they are happy with BA.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Well theres still a chance some pop-warner team may be looking to improve their passing game. :praying: