1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you want Norv Turner as our OC?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Norv is most likely going to get the ax in San Diego so I thought I'd stoke the fire here and put the question to the board. Would you want him? He's a terrible HC but a very good OC. He was the Cowboys OC during their championship run in the 90's and been successful at other stops at OC. One of the things I always ask myself when everyone is calling for BA's head is who do we bring in, I'd welcome Turner, I think he'd do well.

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No, well maybe. Doubt it would happen. We'll still have BA.

3. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    YES he is a GREAT OC head coach not so much look what he did with the Cowboys! we could have the new Tripplets in Ben Mendy and Brown (IMO he is the better WR then Wallace) we have a stack O all the pieces are there just need a OC who knows how to use them!

4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    If the question is Norv or BA?

Norv all the way.

5. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    ANYBODY but BA.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Its hard to say, Norv is an awful head coach, but highly successful OC? I always thought Cam Cameron did a good job when he was OC in San Diego, too little to late?

At this point Ben doesn't want much change so it will be difficult to match him up with someone else. Colts coaches could be getting the axe? Maybe their OC is up for consideration too?

7. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    P Manning is the Colts OC justsaying! look at them this year without him!

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This is all just a fantasy speculation. Our current QB coach would become our OC, I'm practically sure of it. That is just the way the team does things around here. I'm not sure if it would be a good thing or not, might just be more of the status quo?

9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well, Fichtner put up great numbers at Memphis as the OC. I think this would also open up the QB coach spot for Batch, which is where he would need to go anyway.

10. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    this will be the step
    hope is soon :write:

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like a good friend of mine always says"its better than what you got." The only thing that worries me about Fichtner is experience and how much he would be able to fix Bens weaknesses or control him. Since coach T seems to like to give his coaches full autonomy I think bringing in someone who is proven would be a better option.

12. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    To answer the original question, yes, Norv Turner smokes the pole as a HC but is a great OC.

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  14. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Chances are close to nil, but sure, I'd pick him over BA without much thought.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Anyone is better than BA with our current talent.....

Here is a break down of the spread from everything I know.......You can either have a Big WR type as the go to guy plus an above average OL,,,,,,or you have a QB who is really RB capable.....From what I can see we do not meet either of these ,,,yet BA Loves it so much he tries to force it week in and week out.....

The new way of running the spread is a Great QB who knows where to throw before the snap...Even the Teams who use this approach have a stronger element that match the above than we do.......

Don't even get me started on the use of Bigger guys in the Redzone and how that directly effects the scoring percentage and the score ranking.....

We are simply running a system we are not built to run........So why not try another approach?Even if it is still not the best 1 it can't be any worse than our current 1..

16. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
  17. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    BA may be gone next year anyways so we could be looking. I would take norv as the oc absolutely

18. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I said last year that I hoped SD would fire him and BA would retire so we con have Norv as our OC. That would be awesome.

19. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes. How soon can he get here?

20. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    A man can hope can't he? :beg: :wizard: But someone else posted what would most likely happen, promote from within.

Too bad, I think this offense would reach it's full potential with Norv. Sadly, even if the position becomes available, he probably won't be on the Steelers list of candidates :write:

22. benwallace17

benwallace17 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    If Turner were to become our OC say bye bye to the running game for good.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We have a running game??? :scratch:

24. SteelMojo

Oct 23, 2011
    why you say that Cowboys had a pretty good run game with a little guy named E Smith!

25. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm here in San Diego and am LOVING all the chaos surrounding the Chokers. That said, as a coordinator, Norv is top tier. As a head coach, He's now killed 3 different teams. Norv over Arians? Absolutely. Hel, I'd take Pimplydan over Arians.

:herewego!: