1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you trade down to #30?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, May 1, 2014.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Mike Mayock and John Clayton are both saying they expect the 49ers to trade up for a WR, most likely targeting Brandin Cooks or Odell Beckham Jr. they need speed at the position. If Gilbert and Evans are gone at #15 I would consider it, probably receive a extra 2nd or 3rd in return. Ozzie Newsome said the Ravens have gotten calls about trading down from #17, I was wondering if Colbert has gotten any calls about #15. If you traded to #30 you probably won't have a shot at Fuller though.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    **** yes, depending on who's still on the board,l and what the exact trade results were of course. If history is any indicator, the Ravens are the most likely dance partner, though. I think it was safe to assume the Ravens were fielding calls about their pick long before it was reported. Cobert and co. have very likely received some calls as well.

3. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    you lost me ... how do we TRADE UP and receive an extra 2nd or 3rd?

HINES

4. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The draft value chart seems to indicate we could trade back from 15 to 30 and then also pick up the 49ers #56 and #77. That would give us #30, #46, #56, #77 and #97. I would LOVE this. So much value in rounds 2 and 3 and we have such a void going from #46 to #97 as it currently stands.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    It says "...both saying they expect the 49ers to trade up for a WR..."

It doesnt say the Steelers trade up.

--------------------

Anyways....I'd consider it...depending on the deal and whos available and such. Thats a ways to trade back but it could be worth it for an additional 2nd and 3rd. I think the early to mid 20s could be nice...but hmmm....def interesting

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  7. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If Gilbert, Dennard, Evans and Ebron are all off the board then yes, i'd definitely consider it.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ozzie will deal, he has supreme confidence
    in his abilities to judge talent. Steelers,
    not so much.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
  10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not so sure. Depends on which studs we are looking at and how the draft rolls out. I like the idea of a top 15 pick, as you stand a better chance finding a stud, where as picking 30 plus another 2nd rounder just leads to more mediocre talent that we already have.

11. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Absolutely.

We have an advantage over the Ravens too. SF is going to offer us and Baltimore the SAME deal. They'd be stupid to take #17 instead of #15. If Gilbert & Evans are gone, and no one like a Jake Matthews or Anthony Barr fall, I take that deal.

12. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    The only way I wouldn't is if Watkins, Mathews, Clowney, or Mack were still there at 15. Since all should be top 8 picks no matter what I would even consider doing it before the daft even started.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I've even thought about Washington and moving out of the first. Washington doesn't have a first.

grabbing their 2nd pick of the round in 2 and 3 and maybe swapping 4th's. that would give us pick two (34) of rd.2 and pick 46 of rd. two. then we get pick two of rd.3 (66) and ours at (97) in rd. 3. in rd.4 we would move to their 2nd pick of the rd. and give them ours at 15th. any thoughts on this?:cool:

14. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would have no problem trading back like this. I might even consider trading back into the 3rd with next year's pick in order to increase our talent pool.

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't think the return is enough to do business with the Redskins. I prefer a deal with SF. This way we would get picks #30, #56 and possibly a mid round pick too.

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Unless the deal was just too good to pass,no. I would rather have quality than quantity.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    ..yes but the value between 15 and 30 is not big then with additional picks you regain ours 3rd round and maybe you can trade up somewhere if somebody good slip .. the crop of this draft is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Unless they also throw in something like a future 2nd, or maybe a future 3rd given that the odds favor that 2015 3rd being a really high 3rd.

19. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I believe there are three corners who would contribute greatly next year in the first, Dennard, Gilbert, and Fuller. None of them will be available at 30. Ebron won't be available at 30. At 30 you take a crap shoot as to whether your pick is a difference maker (see Z. Hood, C. Heyword). At 15, you almost have to try to take a washout. So no, two extra picks aside, I would not trade that far, even in a deep draft. If two of the top three corners are on the board, I would consider a trade to 18, 19, 20, 21. No further.

20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    The problem I have with that is, we KNOW this draft is really strong and really deep. Colbert better have done his homework should he trade for a future pick knowing how good this year's crop is.

I was initially quite peeved that we traded away a future last year because there was already a buzz with how strong the 2014 draft class was going to be. The only saving grace is that we traded for a Safety, which is a weak position this year. Outside of Clinton-Dix, Pryor, Brooks, Ward & Joyner there's not a lot to like about this Safety class. I don't think any of those guys would have been available with our former 3rd round pick in this year's draft, so in that regard, it was a good decision to take Shark last year.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Let's not kid ourselves. The trade last year was not to select Shark, it was to take Landry Jones in addition to Shark. IMO that was one of the dumbest moves that this franchise has made in a long time, and I'm still seething about it every time I look at our picks and see that 51 spot gap between 46 and 97 in the deepest draft we've seen in a long time.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They didn't trade up for Jones, it was Shark, they felt he was about to be taken. Makes no sense trading up for Jones. I was upset that they took him at all there, I think he would have been around for at least another round but in no way did they make that trade to take him.

23. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Ever wonder if "the deepest" draft talk that seems to happen every year, it just talk? Let's see some results, anyone ever do an analysis of the draft years (all teams) showing hits & misses for the 250+ picks a year, say 3-5 years after the draft year? I'd be surprised if you could notice any significant "deepest draft" years from year to year. I'm not saying just looking at "studs", but I'd think there has to be some analyst out there that has examined draft pick longevity and success by year. Anyone?

24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are a lot more safeties than that in this one steel.:cool:

25. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm going to side with Howie Roseman on this one. After those 5 guys, I don't think you are talking about guys who will make an impact. I know when I was doing the mock draft, I struggled taking a safety after the Top 5 were gone. The only guy I like outside of the Top 5 is Alden Darby.