1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you take Lane Johnson

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Let's say Lane Johnson is on the board and Vaccaro, Warmack, and most of the consensus top pass rushers are gone... Would you pull the trigger on Johnson? I'd say he would be a slight value at 17.

I saw the Steelers met with him which doesn't mean anything... but it has to mean something right? Maybe it's smokescreen I dunno.

Johnson has elite athleticism and arm length and looks like a prototype left tackle. I think Adam has what it takes to AT LEAST be a good right tackle, and he could certainly move over if his footwork improves... But his mauler mentality fits the right side. Lane is more finesse, and fits the left.

I think Gilbert could potentially move in to guard and be our swing tackle.

I'm not sure I completely like the idea, but it intrigues me and I wonder what others think.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    alot depends on what they want to do with gilbert. he's in his 3rd year of a 4 year deal and a 2nd rounder. if he's not good enough to start, then i think he should be cut. that's alot of money to sit on the bench. personally i think he was overdrafted by us anyway, but he's here and we have used him as a starter for two years. he's also the second oldest guy we have now, if colon is released.(God i hope he is).

other then that, i'd love lane johnson. he would be a far better guard then gilbert.:cool:

3. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Absolutely, if he's the best player on the board. He's a prototypical LT and Adams could be moved to RT, like you said. Talented bookends for sure.

4. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    definetely , we still don't have a reliable left tackle , adams is good at right but is not good pass protector and i'm not sold on him protecting the blind side , gilbert is another right tackle that can be use a swing backup

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I would love to get johnson.... I'm as down on gilbert as most on this board are down on colon... I think gilbert would make a decent backup and emergency starter, but I cringe at The thought of gilbert out there full time.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I feel Adams' potential upside is he could be a really good left tackle.

If Steelers don't feel this way, though, I wouldn't mind if they came away with a left tackle in the draft if they feel they should get one...I just don't have a lot of confidence in Gilbert at Left Tackle...

Heck, I like Max Starks better than Gilbert at Left Tackle...

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OMG.:facepalm::cool:

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Hey I hope the Steelers get it right and put Adams at LT day one. Gilbert is slower than Max.

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    We have two talented OTs heading into only their 2nd and 3rd years, who can both play on either the left or right side. Both guys have shown promise, and neither guy has done anything to warrant thinking he's a bust. That's pretty awesome.

The only hole we have on the OL is at guard, and that's if we are getting rid of Colon and Foster.

This year, you only draft a tackle in the first 4 rounds if you are 100% positive that Gilbert can and will move to guard, and if that's what you actually want to do with him.

10. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    No way is OL taken in the first 3 rounds. We are young and promising there.

I know it's just fun, it's the offseason, but let's not get crazy with this.

Oh by the way trade for Alex smith as a back up!!!!!

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

As I said... I'm not sold on gilbert in the least..... the guy gets pushed back far too often for. My liking..he isn't that strong and has slow/poor footwork....I watched every game last season, and saw nothing good when I viewed gilbert .......in fact, the line blocked better on the whole when gilbert went down... I made an observation about gilbert's shortcomings at the halfway point, and noted that I wasn't sure whether it was his functional strength, or footwork, or combination of both that was holding him back, but if it doesn't improve than he needs to be replaced...... I see nothing promising about gilbert at this time.... if he improves, then I'll be the 1st on the board to eat a healthy dose of crow, but until then, I stand by my opinion

12. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    that's what i saw too

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Absolutely 100% yes. If you can get a franchise left tackle, you do it. Period. Guys like that don't grow on trees, and you usually only get a chance to take one if you are drafting in the Top 10 - in fact my prediction is that all 3 of the premier left tackles in this draft go in the top 10, and before any other O-linemen. I would take any of those guys over an all-world guard, and I am quite sure that teams with left tackle needs will trade up enough to ensure that they all go higher than any guards. I chuckle when the online draft pundits talk about Warmack as the potential top pick in the draft. He will go after the 3 tackles are off the board. Bank on it. I'll be happy to eat crow if that doesn't happen, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. It's all about positional value, and LT is way more valuable than any other O-line position.

*EDIT - I should add in the disclaimer that IF those tackles are truly what the scouts are making them out to be, then they will go before the other O-linemen. I know from watching games that Lane Johnson is a franchise left tackle. No doubt at all. Based on the one game that I saw of Fisher plus the Sr. Bowl workouts, I think he also is. Joeckel is the guy that's rated highest, but he's also the guy that I haven't watched much, so I'm kind of going on faith where he's concerned.