1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Make This Trade?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Feb 26, 2019.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    San Fransisco 49ers get
    WR. Antonio Brown

Pittsburgh Steelers get
    2019 3rd round pick (67)
    WR. Marquis Goodwin
    2020 Conditional draft pick (If Brown goes over 80 receptions and 1000 yards the Steelers receive a 3rd round pick. If Brown goes over 60 receptions and 800 yards the Steelers receive a 4th round pick. Any less than 60 receptions and 800 yards the Steelers receive a 5th round pick.)

I am just thinking outside the box here. If AB's value really is as low as some spectate, something like this could work. The 49ers 3rd round pick is an early round selection. Marquis Goodwin is no AB, but he did have a career year in 2017, and would have had a good year in 2018 if not for injuries. The conditional draft choice would very likely be a 3rd rounder since the goals are easily obtainable for a player like AB.

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No I wouldn’t make that trade. I think AB will bring us a first round draft pick or a player and a second round draft pick.
    Also correct me if I’m wrong, but if you trade a player you don’t get a Comp pick?

• Like Like x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    AB is deff a first round pick, if we dont et a first dont trade... he will settle down by the season starts nxt year

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No. I would like a 1st and 5th or a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.

If not bench his ass and let him sit all season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    With the AB trade value all over the place I look at this trade and see a nice WR in Goodwin and think yeah I would make that trade. Of course I want more and of course I want a first for AB but so many people are saying all the stuff AB is doing is hurting his value. I want more but if it isn't there I like this trade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I also think AB is worth a 1st, and I am still holding out hope for that. I am just trying to be realistic here. Assuming AB's value is as low as some of the pundits speculate, something like this could work. If we can't land a 1st or a 2nd, then multiple 3rds wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. San Fran's 3rd this year is very early in the round and I would be willing to bet their 3rd round pick will be early in the round in 2020 as well.

Add to that Marquis Goodwin, who is a good receiver. He had no quarterback in Buffalo, and he didn't really start to put up big numbers until Jimmy G. became the QB in San Fran. He finished 2017 on fire. Injuries set him back in 2018, as well as again not having a good QB. Goodwin is one of the fastest players in the NFL. I think he would be a solid #2 with Ben as his QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Being that AB is on the wrong side of 30, I would jump at a number 1 for him. That tells me it’s not a good deal for the other side. Therefore, I don’t see us getting a 1.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    In a scenario like this, one needs to keep Goodwin’s contract in mind. His 2019 salary of 2.95 million fully guarantees on 4/1/19. With roster bonus, his 2019 guaranteed number is 3.34 million. He would also have a cap hit (salary + roster bonuses) of 4.5 million in 2020 and 5.85 million in 2021. All of this for a guy who is really a speed-only guy. At 5’9” 180 he’s not a legitimate X receiver, so he’s probably - at best - the guy who comes in for 3 WR sets. He does stretch the field, so there’s that (4.27 40 at his combine). He has similar size and speed to Desean Jackson, but he is not the same kind/caliber of receiver.

If we draft a WR, Goodwin likely becomes expendable in 2020 at that salary. Is it worth taking him just for the one year?

9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Great points and being at work I didn't get a chance to look into that. What I will say is Juju is suppose to step in to AB's role no? If Juju does that then Goodwin is a nice pick up to fit the deep need we would have right? Also we are in a bad situation here with a player wanting out so options might be limited. Like I said might I don't know but a lot of what I am reading is not very good.

10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Personally, as a fan I think he's worth a 1st, but in reality I don't think anyone comes close to a 1st. Best case scenario is a 2nd, most likely a 3rd + a late rounder or two.

Look at Demaryius Thomas last year, not quite the same caliber I know, but a stud in Denver went for a 3rd + late round (similar age too). Amari Cooper went for a first but he's 5 years younger. While I drink the AB production kool-aid, I can't see another team dishing out a 1st round pick. And realistically, Turndown for Watt's post is probably a lot closer to the potential offers we'll see.

11. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If you get the the 49ers top 2nd rounder and Goodwin, straight up. I would do it.

12. brosonke

brosonke Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Good debate here... but in the end, I would not end up doing it. Supposedly 5 plus teams are now interested in AB and I feel like there would be a better offer out there. If the Steelers don't like the return (which I believe is at least a 1st) they won't end up trading him. AB is too money hungry to sit out. Ultimately, I think a deal gets done but I'm thinking a later 1st and a 3rd. Think the Raiders are a team to keep an eye on.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    A late 1st and a 3rd would be a dream, and I personally don’t see it happening after everything AB has said and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What if they drafted AB's cousin who is ranked as the best wr in the 2019 draft.

15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I really don’t see that bit of awkwardness happening. He is a good prospect though. Unlike Goodwin, I do see him as a relatively complete receiver despite his size, and he may have a good NFL career - but probably not in Pittsburgh.

16. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I know I was just joking. He probably wouldnt want to come to Pittsburgh anyways I'm sure of but man is he a beast but I dont think hed ever match the production his cousin.

17. Steelerway8511

Steelerway8511 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I'm hoping for a 1st round pick but I would also be happy with a solid player and a 3rd.

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am looking for a different trade partner, I feel John Lynch will not want the hassle of AB.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not terrible but I honestly think they can get a late first for him still. I have a feeling GB may be the team we hook up with.

And that would be poetic justice too. If AB hates playing with Ben, he'll hate playing with Rodgers even more.

If however a first isn't in the cards, then a 2nd is the absolute lowest I'd see them having to settle for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I like this. So lets say the Steelers were to get the 49ers 2nd round pick, and Marquis Goodwin, would that entice anyone else to make the trade? Lets just say that since we are now getting a 2019 2nd round pick, that we are no longer getting a conditional 2020 pick, but in ethier scenario, San Fran is dumping Goodwin's contact on us, and we are dumping AB's roster bonus on San Fran.

21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with almost everything you stated. I do think that you are not giving Goodwin quite enough credit for his ability and potential. There was a time in 2017, that once Garoppalo came in, Goodwin was playing lights out. During that time he was more than just a speed guy. He displayed more of a complete route tree than he had previously. Maybe it was an aberration, who knows? With Ben as his QB, and with JuJu playing on the other side of him, I feel like the Steelers would be getting 2017 Goodwin. He is never going to be AB, but who is? Let Goodwin and JW compete for the X spot and at the very least you end up with depth either way. Then the Steelers could spend their money in FA on the defense.

The contract thing was part of my thinking in this. While the Steelers are stuck taking Goodwin's contract off of the 49ers hands, San Fran would be stuck with AB's roster bonus. This is all purely hypothetical. Regardless what happens, I am assuming the Steelers are going to draft a receiver at some point during the draft. At some point the hope would be that someone steps up.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take a early second round pick, and maybe a fourth round pick. Or a second and a player.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  24. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If I'm one of team interested in AB, I make a lowball offer. A 3rd rounder and make the Steelers eat the Early March roster bonus. Don't like it? Find somebody else to trade our problem child to.

Art II has made it clear, that parting company is the best for all concerned. So the Steelers are saying we don't want him back. You don't want the best WR in the game anymore, why should I pay thru the nose to take him? Because he'll help me win? He didn't help you win. On second thought, I'll keep my 3rd rounder.

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think you’re discounting the fact that Kevin Colbert said they weren’t giving AB away. The deal has to be lucrative for the Steelers.
    The Steelers will get something to their liking or he’ll stay put.