1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you bench LeVeon 1st game? Partially?? Fully???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Aug 10, 2018.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I remember when this happened, and I’ve searched again, and maybe I missed it, but there is no where that Brown actually said this. Lots of pundits speculating type articles, but no quote from Brown. His only quote I can find is the “holdouts never go well”.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct. Old age has made me forget. I thought he moved on after he just came back from injury.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d have to respectfully disagree with you. Some of the other players actually spoke out last year in social media saying he needs to get to camp.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There was rumors of that, but Brown denied them.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    :drinks:

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Yep! That was Donahoe for you, a stupid, shortsighted, arrogant, prick. That was a sad day when Woodson left. I was so pissed when he won a title with the Ravens. Donahoe dismantled the team piece by piece. Guys like Kevin Greene, Woodson, and Carnell Lake all went on to be Pro-Bowl players elsewhere. We got stuck with guys like Scott Shields and Dewayne Washington. Sucks to think what might have been if we had made more of an effort to keep some of our players.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They wanted him to change positions too. They completely blew their evaluation of him, he proved them wrong. He did eventually change positions but not for another couple seasons if IIRC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Again it wasn't just him the whole team was off to a slow start....and check what the vikes gave up to rb's and 87 yds is pretty good vs them....just saying.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    And we don't have a player on the roster that is better than Bell, sorry Connor didn't prove anything. Great story but no proof that he is better than Bell. It cracks me up how people think it is easy as plug and play, sorry all anti Bell fans it is not. Bell is a runner, pass catcher and maybe the biggest part a blocker. Let's see how everyone feels when Ben is out for 4-5 games with a scrambled brain cause he got jacked up from a missed block of Bell replacement. This isn't just directed at you Strummerfan but everyone that thinks we sould sit one of if not the best RB in the game......smfh!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

I never said better than Bell. Best prepared and better player aren’t the same thing by any stretch of the imagination. While we are at it my comment isn’t anti Bell either. The simple fact of the matter is he was pretty poor for the first few games last year. Here he is skipping camp again. In addition to that we also have a new OC. While I don’t expect Fichtner to make wholesale changes to the playbook changes will be made. Someone that has been in camp and practicing with the team will be better prepared than a holdout. It’s not rocket science.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016

James connor wouldnt be more prepared than levoeon if leveon came back from living on the moon for 2 years......... leveon is a freak... When your as talented as leveon the game just comes natural, you do not have to think.... Leveon will be just fine........

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Exactly ...the whole team did and I personally attributed it to how little the starters played in the preseason last year. I wonder how much time they will play this year and if not a lot ,will they be able to overcome the pitfalls of not facing some what real competition until it counts....

• Like Like x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Strummer I didn't mean anything by it but starting the best prepared over the best player imo is stupid...again IMO. As far as the anti Bell comment like I said not directed at just you but the message board as a whole.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a legit concern but it has to be for the right reasons not simply as a form of punishment....

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    No ... when he sign his contract then he has to go to work. Tomlin always like to keep drama going. How about trying not to get outcoached this season

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Did it ever occur to anyone that the entire offense struggled BECAUSE Leveon Bell wasnt ready to play? I keep hearing the same argument over and over about the entire offense struggling. No crap the offense struggled. Hard to function as an offense when your starting running back was rubbing down strippers 3 days earlier and not practicing football. Leveon Bell was not himself to start the season last year. His game was off. I saw that with my own eyes. No way Bell was game ready week 1.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Around game 4

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Not necessarily. He hired a personal trainer to get him into football shape. Combine that with enough time playing Madden 18 and he should be all set...Kidding aside we should have enough talent to get by for a few games without him being 100%. if he's clearly ineffective we have enough behind him to pick up some slack. I honestly think it was the entire O being out of sync because of almost no preseason action. Let's hope we are doing something to avoid that again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Football shape my friends, football shape. I don't care if your Walter Peyton if your not
    in football shape it will take some time, 4 weeks sounds about right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Again I will bring up 2016 when he missed the first 3 games and came right in and rushed for 144 in game 4. The next 5 games he never got over 100 yds....66 - 53 - 81 - 32 & 57! Still ended up with 1268 yds, last year game 2 we played the vikes and Bell had 87 yds which was one of the better games vs them. The following week the Vikes only gave up 26 rush yds.

I will not sit here and say Bell was 100% but to sit here and think it was all his fault is crazy as well. Bell has had times where he slumped I am not gonna say him sitting out was the reason. JMO

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wasn't that due to suspension and not injury? IIRC, he was in camp and preseason.

Bell took a while to get going last year and no doubt in my mind it was because he wasn't in football shape nor in sync with his teammates.

I still think you play him though. You want to get him going as soon as possible to get back to 100%.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody should have known better than the Steelers, but they clearly made the wrong call moving on from Woodson at that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I looked it up and you are correct. Woodson played cornerback for two more seasons after leaving Pittsburgh. He didn't move to safety until 1999.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I think so Blast it was cause of suspension, however we all know how much players play in ST. I am a believer that these guys eat sleep and drink football yeah they may be "out of football shape" but imo these guys don't lose the talent they have. Add into the fact his youth I feel rust isn't an issue. My point in the 2016 example is the fact he missed 3 games and came back with 144 then had 5 bad games shows it isn't rust it is a team thing, jmo.

I know many people are mad about this contract thing and I get it. I am not happy about it either however I know our best chance to win is with Bell. With 1-2 years of Ben left our window for #7 is closing fast. I just don't see how sitting one of our best players helps us, it isn't like we have a top rookie waiting in the wings. I am starting to think Fitz may end up as a quality back up and Connor can be an ok spot guy.