1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Believe Our Defense...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Honestly, I think the weakest part of our team right now is our run defense. I don't think I ever thought I would say that about a Steeler football team :-(

I think we've looked a little better against the run going back to the 2nd half vs. the Texans. But I still think our run defense is awful at the moment. Granted, we were down Harrison, Hampton, and Smith this last game, but MJD had a good day against us (22 carries for 96 yards).

For most teams, this is probably a good stat line vs. MJD. But for the Steelers, it's pathetic. It has been downright painful for me to watch the Steelers this year give up 4, 5, 6 yards regularly vs. the run. It's, frankly, humiliating.

I hope that things will improve quickly. Last year, we could get by with a mediocre secondary because teams were forced to be one dimensional against us--no one could run against us. This year, if teams can have a measure of success in the run game against us, we will find it extremely difficult to beat the good teams. Imagine the Patriots or the Packers playing us while averaging 4+ yards a carry in the run game? Ugly.

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    And putting Brady on his back as many times as possible. Pressure, pressure, pressure. As you called it the "Bend but don't break" strategy has NEVER worked for us against Brady. Like any QB he's terrible under heavy pressure and yet everytime we play them it seems like we sit back and let him pick us apart as if to think if we can avoid the big play we'll win the game. Unlike many other teams the Pats dink and dunk game normally results in TDs so I don't see where sitting back in a zone all the time against them does very much for us.

3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think the run Defense isn't used to the new stupid rule, where the O-line can team up on a player then can chop block them. Seems these new rules are hurting Pitts, it Good-for-nothing-Dell's way of getting back at us, creating rules that hurt our style of play. The next rule will be your QB isn't allowed to run right.

4. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree with this. The players have not changed drastically. The results of a different game plan can have a lot more effect than some "dream" player. Our team has plenty of talent to succeed on defense. Whether they stop the run or pass in any given game is more dependent on the plan than the players. On a side note, I keep seeing the "we have played teams with poor passing numbers" argument. Has anyone thought of the fact that their numbers are poor because they had to play against our pass defense in one of their games.

5. Romans5:8

Oct 17, 2011
    I heard Mike Peira (sp?) say that the ability of adjacent O-lineman to team up and chop block a defender has been legal for some time now. In other words, it's not a new rule this year.

6. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of you are never satisfied with the Defense, regardless of what they do. Hasslebeck is the #3 QB in the new QBR they have out now. Rules are gear toward the offense -- it is time our offnese steps up and help out the D. The jags would have nothing in that game if the O did not go into hibernation in the second half. I can recall how many 3 and outs they had, Ben only complete ONE pass in the second half. Yet you criticize the D?????

Same with the Baltimore game -- what was it??? SEVEN turnovers???

If the offense plays a solid game the D looks much better.

7. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The expectation for the Steelers defense is to be the best in the NFL, especially against the rush, which we are not. We are spoiled.

8. nafsreleets43

nafsreleets43 Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Dint even see that there was a post on the defense already..... :roflmao: my bad.....

9. Romans5:8

Oct 17, 2011
    But when the defense is giving up 4.6 yards per carry, isn't that cause for concern?

I agree that the offense needs to play better. But, honestly, if our offense was as proficient as Green Bay's or New England's, I'd still be concerned. Offense has a greater tendency to "come and go," as New England found out this past Sunday vs. the Cowboys. Stout defenses tend not to have as many peaks and valleys from week to week. If I had to choose between Green Bay/New England offense + 2011 Steeler defense or 2011 Steeler offense + 2010 Steeler defense, I'd take the second option in a heartbeat. I still believe that defense wins championships. /shrug

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    #1 and only getting better. Woodley is warming up after his customary slow start and we'll get two of our DL back before it's all said and done. I like seeing Keenan Lewis get some playing time, and the more he's on the field it seems that he gets more and more comfortable out there. Silverback being out with this orbital bone fracture could be a blessing in disguise as it gives him extra time to mend his back closer to 100%, just in time for the playoffs!

We haven't gotten the turnovers, but they will start to rack up like compounding interest the later we get into the season. Our LB's will see to it.

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess Pitts didn't get the memo, they sent tapes in after the Baltimore massacre complaining about the chop blocks. The league came back saying it's legal, when it's 2 on 1.