1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be in favor of this deal?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    But Denver needs something behind Sanchez just on General principle. Might not be in the first round but I think their going to take a QB. Might be Hogan of Stanford in the 4th round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk probably not. Two middling picks aren't enough to make me want to drop in the first round. There's gonna be someone we want available at 25.... Let's not get too cute and just take the guy we want

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it's always conditioned on not having a guy available that you value as highly as getting the guy "X" number of spots lower on your board plus the extra pick(s). I'd never trigger a trade until we're on the clock with all of that information being known.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Teams with Quarterback needs will not hesitate to reach. Issue is, throughout NFL History, any quarterback that has been selected post 15 usually does not have a great career. Then again, some teams do not need him to be great until later down the road.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All I know is Colbert better not waste any early picks on a luxury player and ignore the secondary, like he did in 2014 Dri Archer :facepalm::facepalm:.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have to hit home runs(These picks need to contribute/ productive this year) on these first 3 picks, the right selections and this
    could put us over the top and on our way to #7. Go Steelers.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Exactly. I"m not going for this talk of , " the first round pick isn't going to contribute much". For us to get to where we want to go, we do need a major contribution from our first round pick.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Well then you better hope they take Billings. Not because he is some super stud but because its the easiest position to make an immediate impact at. We're not getting Ramsey so you can forget about any other CB making major contributions this year.

9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Sorry but I don't buy that. As bad as our secondary was, a rookie cornerback can come in and start. He would be no worse then what we had last year but at least that rookie would have the talent to get better as the season went on.

If they take a rookie cornerback in the first round, I expect him to start.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm now convinced that Apple and Jackson are going to need atleast a couple of years. CBs don't transition as easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I only partially agree. Jackson could play day 1 as a Cover 3 corner and do about as well (or slightly better) as Blake in coverage and tackling (particularly Blakes post-injury tackling). If he's a very fast learner, he could be pass Cockrell by late in the season. He does translate well to our scheme in coverage, he just has god awful tackling technique (but seems willing). Apple's year one impact would concern me because 1) I'm not sure how long it would take him to fit the scheme mentally; and 2) while he has better tackling technique than Jackson, he shows less willingness to mix it up. Both guys have upside, but I think it takes them time to get there. Apple looks better in man coverage to me, but Jackson seems to fit what we do better.

If we want day 1 impact in our scheme, Fuller is the guy. However, the knee has to raise questions.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    There are exceptions Josh Norman was a 5th round pick, remember him???

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Always. As I pointed out in another thread these 1st round H-W-S guys have a poor track record overall.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree Elvis. Is, as well or slightly better then Blake what we want on the field? Who are they going to sit to get this inexperienced rookie on the filed that will provide Blake type level of play?

Best you can hope for is to take over mid season. Big transition from college to pros. Exceptions to every rule but CB's coming out of college and burning up the league is not the norm and I don't see the guys that will likely be available to us being talented enough to start right away.

Last thing you want is to throw these guys to the wolves and let their confidence be destroyed. Ease them in. Their talent may be better than what is in front of them but their knowledge is not.

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Tomlin meant with Jackson. Had a dinner with him and has a good feel for his understanding of the position. If we take Jackson, he starts from day one and that means that Tomlin is good with his understanding at this point. Tomlin was a DB coach before he was a head coach so I give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm just saying some of them could play day 1, not start day 1. I'm not counting on a rookie corner displacing Gay or Golson/Cockrell in 2016. I feel pretty sure that Fuller or Jackson would contribute though. Apple may need a redshirt year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ah, gotcha, thought you meant taking the starting roll from someone day 1.

18. SteelaFanatic

SteelaFanatic Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Hell no! If anything Id trade out of the 1st Rd with Browns or Titans. They have 10+ picks each and theyre both Top 15 picks. Trading with Denver will give us lesser quality picks every round. There 3rd Rd is practically 4th Rd. Their 5th is practically a 6th Rd pick.

You trade with a higher team up, you'd get more picks at a better value. 3rd and 5th from Broncos really aint saying much, plus if you get the trade from Browns or Titans they'll atleast give you a 2nd Rd pick with 1st Rd talent.

Hell, Id even trade with New England.. they got 12 picks and I think 3 2nd Rd picks. Im sure they wanna 1st Rd pick. We can get them for a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a 2nd next year. Who knows.

Seek a trade with a Top 15 pick, or someone willing to give up a 2nd Rd pick, if not.. just stay put.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  19. SteelaFanatic

SteelaFanatic Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Josh is overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Better than any CB on our roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Oh yeah, the Browns would trade with us. :rolleyes:

22. SteelaFanatic

SteelaFanatic Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Yea, the Browns would trade their 2nd Rd pick for our 1st Rd.

23. SteelaFanatic

SteelaFanatic Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Disagree. As badly as he got burned last year.. im sure Golson covers much better than he does.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Denver you would get the 31st pick in the first round in addition to 3rd and 5th picks, so it would be worth it.

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Sure, but there's some daylight between being better than anyone on our roster and being worthy of the biggest CB contract in the league. He's a Cover 3 zone corner who is "ok" in man. When they manned him up against Beckham, he got toasted. Badly. He'd be a great fit for us because we play a lot of Cover 3, but he's no shut down corner, and is not worth his new contract.

• Agree Agree x 1