1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would we go 4-3 for Clowney?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It's a red flag, people can dismiss it all they want and say he is looking out for his NFL career but he made a commitment to South Carolina. Once he gets his guaranteed money in the pros, what to say he won't quit on that commitment as well. Again, I'm not saying thats what he is about, just that I understand the concerns.

2. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    People over analyze the crap out of prospects. You hear this about tons of guys coming out.

Geno Smith
    Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Cam Newton
    "Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."

Robert Griffin III
    He's got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn't treat anybody good." Another scout also questioned the way Griffin deals with people.

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I think we stay with the 3/4....... clowney is fast enough and athletic enough to play lber, and big and strong enough to play 3/4 de................ can't go wrong either way.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Those assessments of Cam are pretty consistent with what we've seen out of him in his first couple years. As are Smith's 11 turnovers through 5 games.

5. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Geno's a rookie, we're talking about his demeanor and attitude. There's been no issues for any of those 3 guys.

I was trying to find a good comparison to Clowney in terms of the whole "takes plays off" criticism. Dontari Poe was a MUCH bigger risk of a prospect than Clowney, and he's dominating offensive lines right now, for one of the better young defenses in the league.

Poe was known for taking plays off, and not dominating compettiion in the weak C-USA. Clowney "takes plays off" but has still dominated the competition in the SEC, and required teams to double him on basically every play.

Poe went 11th on his measurables alone. Clowney has better measureables, better production, and played against better competition.

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't think we will pick high enough to sniff clowney (top 3 pick) , our first problem is a left tackle anyway

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's the offenses turn this year first. I want a smart, lean, fast, strong LT that comes from a pro set offense and can pass and run block equally well. is that too much to ask for from this franchise that I have invested in and poured out so much blood and tears and sweat for?

to clairify: the sweat and tears came from the damn hot chicken wings and the juice that squirted out of the hot sausage. the blood came from when I picked up my beer mug to fast after that, and I busted my dagone lip, but you know what I mean.:smiley1::cool:

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  9. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm watching this game right now and I say there's no way we're gonna draft high enough to get him anyway but I'm sure they probably would take him because they've taken mostly 4-3 guys anyway lately haven't they? Besides Jarvis of course.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I thought you would be at comicon or sumpin. LOL didn't I see somewhere that was going on? :shrug::cool:

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No Comic Con is in June every year in San Diego and I now mostly refer to it as Poser Con because they just mostly talk about movies and it has nothing to do with comics anymore hardly. I know a guy that went a few years ago and rode a bus in and was talking to these two girls that were going too and when they got there they walked in and the girls said "whoa they have comic books here" and the guy said "yeah that's why it's called Comic Con" and they said "oh we thought it was because there was gonna be a lot of stand up comics!" :facepalm::facepalm: I can't make this stuff up! The con that I ALWAYS go to and LONG for all year is HeroesCon in Charlotte which is also in June ever year. Next year I'm gonna meet Kevin Eastman who is the co-creator of Ninja Turtles! AHHHHH YEAH!!! I'm gonna have him sign my unopened vintage Ninja Turtles and then I'm gonna get on here and brag and make all of you guys SOOOO jealous! LOL!!!

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope we draft this guy

[​IMG]

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's an easy game when nobody blocks you. all that and still get beat without some offense. :smiley1::cool:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing, Mac. I could have made that same play if no one bothered to block me. :-D

16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I will admit that I don't watch a lot of college football anymore and have never paid attention to Clowney but the SC vs Tenn game was on at the resturant my family and I were eating at on Saturday and the play that stood out the most to me was Clowney getting into the backfield to hit the Tenn RB and the RB got free only to be tackled at the LOS by the rest of the SC defense while Clowney is standing in the endzone tilting his head back and screaming(I assume no sound) like he had just taken some Immortals head and was feeling the power of the Quickening. I mean yes he missed making an awesome play but get back in there and don't howl like you are having a fit. I was more impressed with the SC running back, any chance he could fall to the Steelers?

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Van Noy is a stud seen him play a few times all he does is make plays.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think he could play inside or outside. just a playmaker. i'd love to get him. by the way byu is full of good players this year. they get a little overlooked.:cool:

19. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If clowny keeps sucking it up he may fall to us

20. scruffy

scruffy Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I'm just a casual observer of the draft, but maybe it's time our FO might consider taking someone on the rise rather than than someone on the fall? LOL :lolol:

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a freaking shame that Jarvis Jones has sucked so badly this year, that we are even having the conversation about picking Clowney next year. Had JJ had a few sacks by now and played up to his hype, Clowney would not even be discussed as a possibility!