1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would we go 4-3 for Clowney?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Sep 30, 2013.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Again, this is so premature, but it's something more interesting to talk about than why we suck. Let's just say Ben gets injured and the team goes into a tail-spin. I think if we pick in the top 3 and Clowney is there, we have to take him. I know some here will disagree, but Clowney is being called the Andrew Luck of defensive prospects, a can't miss.

My initial thought is that with Woodley locked up and just having drafted Jones, that creates a problem. But I think this could be Lebeau's last season anyway. When Keith Butler all the sudden decided not to leave I think they gave him a hint that the job could be opening up soon (although Butler is obviously a 3-4 guy)... Tomlin was a defensive coordinator, and came from the Dungy Tampa-2 scheme (could clowney be our simeon rice?)... Jarvis Jones looks a lot like a 4-3 OLB to me. And I'm not sure if he ever comes back but Sean Spence was a prototype OLB in a 4-3 scheme.

Could or would we switch to a 4-3?

Is that crazy? Tomlin actually showed some emotion after the loss to the Vikings, and I'm beginning to wonder if his seat is getting hot... and he FINALLY starts to take some control over the team. A lot of people talk about him winning with Cowher's guys... Well, maybe it's time to implement his system.

That would probably mean Keith Butler is out, and while that's a raw deal for a guy that's probably been promised the job... I think you have to do what you think is best for the team. While I'm just talking crazy, I'll throw out another hypothetical. Gus Bradley very well could go 0-16 in Jacksonville, and lose his job. Bradley built the defense you see bullying high-flying offenses in the pass happy NFL in Seattle. The "Leo" position in Bradley's scheme is extremely important, which is the spot for his main pass rushing DE. *cough* Clowney *cough*

I could see this as our front 7 (couple variations depending on if you keep Ziggy, or maybe trade Woodley, etc).

Clowney
    Heyward/Hood
    McClendon
    Woodley/Heyward

Jones
    V.Williams/Timmons
    Timmons/Spence

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If we don't start getting pressure soon with someone somewhere, I would have no problem with this switch, but I think Butler would still like to run the 3/4.

3. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I agree... and they've told Butler multiple times he's the man (supposedly)... but something tells me if they think they'd be better off with a 4-3 man, that they'd say sorry Keith.

4. USCGSteeler

USCGSteeler Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    With what they have to work with in the near future I think a switch to the 4-3 is the only way to go, but as to the original topic, there is no way you draft Clowney if Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews is sitting there. We have to make the offensive line a priority.

5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Yes! You and I are on the same wavelength here SBD. If we have a chance to get Clowney, we better take him. That being said, you dont draft a freak like Clowney to try to mold him into something he's not. We would switch to a 4-3 with pretty much the exact front 7 as you stated. I'd let Hood walk in this instance and play Heyward as the starting DT with McLendon and Clowney and Woodley as DE's. This front 4 would maul people. It would be gross. Literally the entire DLine would have 1 - on - 1's thanks to Clowney. It would be a sack and turnover machine. I never thought we'd blow enough to have a chance at Clowney, but if we do I'd love to have him. He would completely change the big play dynamic of this defense, and would possibly turn this team into a winning one almost immediately.

6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I pass on Clowney he's having a down season so far like 1 or 2 sacks. Draft the best LT on the board this is the Steelers weakest position.

7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  8. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Because everyone in the country knows his name and is scared to death of him. The kid NEVER sees one on one blocking. I'd be happy with a left tackle, for sure...

But I'm a strong believer in taking the best player available, and the Steelers used to be, but I think they've reached a lot lately to fill needs. Jason Worilds being a prime example.

I'll say it again. Clowney is being called the Andrew Luck of defensive prospects, and I recently saw an article polling 5 NFL general managers on Clowney. The questioned asked was "Is Clowney the best defensive prospect to come out in the past decade?"

ALL FIVE, general managers said yes. A couple of them said that Mario Williams or Nnadumakong Suh were the only guys that were even close. I think you have to take the kid that has the ceiling to be a hall of famer, and his floor probably isn't all that low.

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    If they were to go that route they would still be stuck with an offense that can't do squat.

10. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I understand what you're saying, but I'm sticking with best player available. I take the once in a generation player. Agree to disagree.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Clowney all day long....

HACK

12. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    100% Clowney you can not pass on a freak like that, they do not come along very often.

13. USCGSteeler

Nov 6, 2011
    Yeah, but Suh and Williams were still wrecking balls when they were double teamed, Clowney is over rated.

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
  15. USCGSteeler

Nov 6, 2011
    None taken. But I would say this, 1) this was written in August before this season started and 2) like I said, I remember Suh getting the same doulble teams that Clowney sees now and he still dominated. I am not saying that Clowney is not going to be good, I just don't believe he is going to be as dominant as most others believe.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This team needs secondary help in the worst way! If they decide after the season to part ways with LeBeau, Butler is cut from the same cloth. I can't take seeing another game where Ike" Please don't juke me again" Taylor not only plays 10 years off the line but stands there while he watches the opposing receiver catch the ball, then he gets juked out of his shoes.
    They couldn't keep Keenan Lewis. Did anyone see how he shut down the 60 mill wonder?
    I believe that LeBeau's time has passed, need a new approach. 4-3. Who knows. I want to see aggressive CB play which is not LeBeau's scheme. The league has figured it out.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Clowney is starting to get a bad rep, that he is lazy and not committed, thinking of his NFL career only. I'm not taking one side or the other, just passing long what I heard on sports radio.

As for switching to 4-3, I've thought that since the day they hired Tomlin, wouldn't surprise me one bit if they make the switch and I don't think that effects whether Butler is hired as DC or not. Tomlin would be more involved with Butler, wouldn't be the same hands off approach under DL.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree about clowney. no way we need more drama. kyle van noy over him any day opposite JJ. the 3-4 would be reborn in steeltown.:cool:

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If Clowney has any character questions going into the draft, you can bet the Steelers will pass on him, I think they made that pretty clear in this years draft. I looked up Van Noy, pretty impressive.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    catch a BYU game sometime if you can. he's fun to watch. so is dan Sorensen the byu safety. the guys all over the place. i'd do flip flops if we got these two.

heck i'm already figuring us moving back a couple of spots and getting some high picks. erving at LT and van noy both. kyle fuller and Sorensen. and by some way that little rb from Baylor. mason walters the guard from Texas. and some big mean azz TE. i'd be good.:smiley1::cool:

21. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I've seen the "character issues" stuff. I say whatever. The kid has been dominant, and even if he is just thinking of his future in the NFL and taking it easy, can you blame him?

Us message board and the media types can point a finger and so that's so awful. What would Marcus Lattimore say? Hmm, you were the consensus top player at your position and sure-fire first rounder, but blew out your knee and they don't know if you'll ever get a shot in the NFL (Lattimore did fall to the 4th round). That's a ton of money lost, and who knows if Lattimore ever gets a chance.

I wouldn't have questioned Clowney at all if he'd sat out the season. It's a smart business move.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it shows me what kind of a teammate he is.:cool:

23. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
  24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We'll have to smuggle you into the war room somehow :lolol:

25. mac daddyo