1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Vonn Bell be here if LeBeau was still DC?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 11, 2016.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I hadn't thought about this yet but with a record number of Ohio State players available in this draft, Steelers didn't walk away with any.

Wonder if Vonn Bell would be here right now instead of Davis if DL was still here.

Dick LeBeau era has definitely come to an end.

2. bhandsome08

bhandsome08 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    Hard to say. Seems to me they are now aiming towards athleticism with production college players. If not they would have probably taken Mosley over Shazier, and that was when DL was still the DC.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Perhaps. Call it the "Jarvis Jones" lesson, maybe?

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

To answer your first question, yes. LeBeau's refined Hokie scheme only meant that the front seven was getting tooled. Granted, the two 5 tech defensive ends would have been still gapping and the linebackers would have been wreaking havoc. "How does this answer if Vonn Bell would have been drafted?" Vonn's instincts would have allowed him to "freelance" and survey the field; the equivalent of what Troy did. However, Vonn would have been doing more so in the backfield due towards his lack of athleticism compared to Troy's in addition to further refining and maximizing his instinctive ability later on.

Towards your statement, I really thought Ryan Shazier marked the beginning of the end for the LeBeau reign in spite of the fact that Shaz was a Meyer disciple at Ohio State. Bud Dupree for me cemented it. Now that Artie Burns is in the mix, Keith Butler's new Eagle scheme is now ready to take flight and ascend Pittsburgh (hopefully) back into their usual dominant defensive ways.

5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Love to trade Jarvis Jones over there to LeBeau for the right draft pick. I like to see a teacher and his student together.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Who knows? Who cares? I think we ended up with the right player. I at least hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Hahahahahaha....It needs to be!

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we did take grant last year while keith butler was the DC. bell was a good player, but davis is bigger, faster and stronger. MT likes speed on defense. we added that. we were also running some of this hybrid defense under DL too. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I will take Davis over Vonn Bell (I still expect a horse whinny sound a la young Frankenstein, whenever I mention his name for some strange reason). Watched a lot of big 10 this year and especially OSU in the offseason. Just didn't get the gooseys over him like some others have. I really like the OSU offensive players but not their defensive guys. Bosa being the exception.

10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    boy, I hope that lesson was learned very well...

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My reasoning for taking Davis is that he represents a new paradigm for the Steelers philosophy on safeties. He is not a cornerback but has acquired cornerback traits while already having the intangibles of a safety. Case in point:

He is one of the many new hybrid NFL defensive backs who are coming out of college to counter the athletic TE's and be used in sub package plays.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans wanted Bell just because he came from a big name school, doesn't mean he was the right fit for the Steelers. I'm glad they drafted the bigger faster safety in Davis.