1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Oh, I predict he'll be wearing a gold jacket a lot sooner than that. About 5 more years when he's out of football and selling houses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is not a shot at KFP. I like the Kid, but I believe KFP has thrown multiple tds once in over 20 games. Mason has thrown multiple tds 6 times in way less games.
    As far as knowledge of football...most can't tell man under from quarters, a slant from a out. Although a lot of the plays have been the same....for both KFP, Trubisky, and Mason.....for example the fake wheel route to Warren...that sets up the long pass to Pickens....has been run multiple times this year....yet every time it's been dumped to Warren.....hell even some people with no knowledge said it was a screen. LoL.....yet only Mason has actually thrown the right read off of it to Pickens.
    Also if I practice music with You as a band mate every day, and You can hardly get AC/DCs Back in Black played right when We practice.....I'm definitely not going to ask You to Play Divinations live. Of course some of the plays they are calling will be different from what the Qb is showing they can actually do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Well based on the fact that Pickens took multiple shots at him and how this offense has played together the last 2 weeks. Receivers constantly throwing little shots that all they can do is run their routes and etc. Kenny constantly missing open guys, taking bad sacks, spinning into trouble, throwing constant check downs and etc. They haven’t played like this for 2 seasons. Now Tomlin didn’t trust Pickett to let it fly but Mason is allowed to? Don’t be delusional about the situation. They do t trust him to win these games.

You blame Canada but they are still running the same offensive plays.

Also if that isn’t enough, he would be starting against Baltimore whom he has beat twice. This ain’t about a hot hand. If he’s your QB1, he finishes the season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The offense looks better. The team has been praising Mason, and some of You are making excuses why it's happening. LoL. Magically it's the same people who said Mason sucks.
    Of course the OL looks better with Him. He's not rolling into pressure. If You haven't heard Me complain about that forever... well I don't know what to say.
    But there are Guys wide open now. There have Been Guys wide open all freaking Year....many many many people have pointed this out.
    Oh the D is now playing us different.....that's My favorite.....No Freaking $hit they are.....they can't just load up the box most of the game now.....
    They are calling different plays.....You can call more plays ...1. if the Qb can do them correctly, and 2.....If You stop going 3, and out....it's magical how You can actually set up plays then. Hard to set up future plays when You repeatedly go 3, and out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

I LOVE YOU!!! Thank you!!!

Ppl need to take off the blinders. If it wasn’t for Mason. This damn season is over and that’s a friggin fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    They wont take blinders off…they are the type to burn their hands off before they realize the pot is hot

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Everyone says well Kenny played well as soon as they fired Canada. Yeah he threw for 278 yards and only scored 16 points with over 400 yards of offense. The fk lol

And Mason put up 31 points agains the same team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dynamic Dennis

Dynamic Dennis Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    I would say to run with what we have and concentrate of getting a veteran center. Unless Mason is wanting big $$ of course, but really seems like he has been comfortable in Pittsburgh and maybe just looking to stay put.

• Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No some are the type that would burn their hands off ....before admitting that it's hot. There is a difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    No talking to some of these KFP nuthuggers… i have been watching football over 50 yrs… KFP sucks, best thing for him to do is try to learn from sidelines. The game is way too quick for him right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Well put

• Like Like x 1
  12. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    I'll bet we could get Russell Wilson for him.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

i hope

14. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    :roflmao:
    :facepalm:..nice post

15. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    If Mason wins against Baltimore and he’s not the starter for 2024, no way he stays. He shouldn’t, I wouldn’t. Then the Steelers will need 2 QBs and stuck with just Pickett.

16. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    As much as I have been disappointed with Pickett this year... it would be foolish to trade him. So much right has to happen for these QB’s to have success and develop. So much of it is based on confidence within them selves. First of all Rudolph had a couple of good games but that doesn’t mean much when you look at the defenses he went up against and the fact he had alot of support from a strong run game, the offensive line and the war’s have been putting forth effort. Now what’s more alarming is how the Wr’s didn’t always put forth effort for KP. What does that mean. Do they not trust him? Is their friction there? I have never felt Rudolph and honestly KP have had much support to be honest wether it was hamstringing them with conservative play calling, poor schemes, poor OC coaching, poor line play and or not being able to get the run game going.

I think the smart thing to do is to get a legit OC and upgrade the Oline Coach. Then upgrade the Center and and replace Dan Moore. Wouldn’t mind bringing in Baltimores old OC Coach in some capacity to finish developing the run game. Not as the OC but maybe as a run game coordinator if he would agree to that. Then either draft a QB in the middle rounds or bring in a decent veteran and have a bonafide competition between Rudolph, KP and the third QB in the offseason and training camp.

The problem is we have had so many moving parts and issues on the offensive side of the ball over the last three years it has been very difficult to evaluate most of the players on that side of the ball. Look at Kevin Dotson. He was related to back up duty then we trade him and he becomes a Pro Bowler. I don’t think you give up on Rudolph or KP you let them compete. Maybe we have something there. Just let them play and ball out instead of holding them back so much. Maybe Tomlin has learned something through this whole process. I know Rudolph has never had a legit deep threat until GP. He never played behind a good line or run game until recently. Maybe that is what he needed and some support and confidence from the coaches. Same goes for Pickett. I think he is pissed because he had a good game in the one game he played in without Canada and then he got hurt. He probably feels like he could be doing the same thing as Rudolph.

KP however needs to mature and stay in the pocket longer and look downfield and develop in his progressions. I feel like that is something it appears Rudolph has developed. The real test will eb against a good defense however which we will see when we play Baltimore. How can Rudolph do when we don’t have a run game or the pressure is on him from a pass rush standpoint. My concern with Rudolph is he will not do well in those circumstances as many QB’s don’t but especially him because he is not great at scrambling or extending plays or improvising or making plays outside of the pocket. KP and Mitch are actually better in those circumstances but those two rely on their legs too much and bail on the pocket too soon. SO ultimately I feel Rudolph could be the answer but only if the Oline provides maximum protection. Im not sure our offensive line is there yet. We still need a couple more pieces.

Sure do miss Ben as he could do it all and he covered up for alot with regards to the offensive line playing poorly or extending plays to beat the blitz or overcome a poor run game. I feel like ultimately there is more upside with KP over Rudolph simply because he can extend plays and scramble but he has alot more development to do as far as reading defenses, going through progressions and overall pocket presence. He can actually learn from sitting behind someone like Rudolph for a year. Its like Rudolph is strong in all of the areas KP is week and vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Again put up a Strawman. I said that before his injury his quarterback rating was 102, which shows potential. I never said he did great against Detroit, except it wasnt horrible as people are making it out to be considering it was in rain and he did on one day preparation. Pickett’s best game and he could only score 16. You have no basis to say points would come as they didn’t come in 24 games. Blaming Canada completely is unfair to Canada. Pickett was forgettable at Pitt except for one year. He has been very forgettable with Steelers too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Maybe you can do a little light reading and watching. His own coaches and quarterbacks are explaining how defenses have been minimizing him by double teaming him in coverage.

When Mike Tomlin was asked how the Jaguars were preventing George Pickens from making plays during the game said "They were playing two-on-one football." - https://steelersdepot.com/2023/11/m...erage-on-wr-george-pickens-thats-a-good-sign/

https://triblive.com/sports/wr-geor...ble-in-my-shoe-to-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin/

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...-we-cant-let-him-just-be-minimized-completely

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/11/h...rge-pickens-for-impact-beyond-the-stat-sheet/

Your favorite quarterback Mason Rudolph explained why Pickens was able to get more opportunities in the Bengals game because they double teamed Freiermuth a lot this time instead of Pickens. -

Here's a breakdown of Rudolph's performance. This guy is really good of going through and breaking down plays. Lots to learn from. Says multiple times in the video that the next opponent probably won't let them just run down the field and do speed outs uncontested for the whole game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There are three things about him I don't like, the surgically-repaired throwing shoulder and the two surgically-repaired knees.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lol, no, thats just what you are reading into it. There are multiple clips of Pickett celebrating while the team was scoring.

No, they aren’t running the same offense, thats why they fired him. It’s been four weeks, they been making changes all along. You guys really think Mason is some all pro making this offense hum, this getting really comical.

Poor coaching we agree on, Tomlin has been having Pickett play tight. I’ve seen Pickett make those throws so it’s ridiculous to say he can’t. He did it at the college level and the pros.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Rudolph has been trash up until these last two games and its come against two poor defenses. Let’s throw him a parade.

He was a 3rd string QB and passed over by the whole league but the legend of Rudolph grows every day on this board.

22. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Kenny Pickett 2nd year.

Mason Rudolph 6th year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think any of theses guys look at the X’s and O’s, it’s just the magical Rudy man making it go, no other reasons.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The people pointing out that defenses are playing the Steelers differently are mostly focused on more man-to-man coverage against Pickens, not less packing the box.

Your take ignores that both defenses they played the last two weeks suck. Rudolph stepped into the perfect situation against the Bengals. Their defense was even worse than it had been the first time against the Steelers because they just lost DJ Reader the previous week. They had also been picked apart by throws to Freiermuth in the first meeting. Both of those elements forced them to focus less on Pickens and the Steelers took advantage.

Of course Rudolph's play is part of what happened, but so is facing consecutive lousy defenses.

25. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Against Seattle and Cincy was the only 2 games in the last 2 years that felt like the Steelers were gonna score points on every drive and damn near did.

• Agree Agree x 3