1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It was two games against very bad defenses. If Rudolph sucks when faced with a competent defense, that just demonstrates why the Steelers seemed to write him off as nothing more than a backup a couple of years ago. I think he has done enough to deserve an opportunity to compete for the job next season if they can sign him at a reasonable cost. If he thinks he deserves starter money based on three games, let him seek it elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. Some of the Rudolph crew make excuses like the concussion in 2019 or poor coaching. Pickett has had the same issues and a worse offensive line. One guy gets a pass for five-plus years, but the other is a proven bust after less than two. The lack of logical thinking is comical.

3. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    All I know is we don`t need Mitch anymore. Dump him and find 3rd string somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You keep him and Rudolph(if he wants to stay) and pickup a QB in the Draft.
    There's your 3 for the QB room next season.

5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mitch Trubisky has some of the worst throwing mechanics of any professional QB that I have ever seen. I really have no idea what exactly the coaching staff saw in him to continue losing with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They saw that he had been a good NFL quarterback at one time with those mechanics and he was still young enough that his physical gifts were intact. That hasn't worked out, but there was some logic to it at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Way too soon for that. He’s cheap and there’s no way you get your investment of a first round pick back if you had any takers. I don’t think anybody is ready to give up on Pickett just yet and maybe this experience will humble him a bit and he’ll be better for it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m not sold on Rudolph, not completely. I need to see more and yes against a tougher defense. I think there is a real possibility our skill players mesh better with him than Kenny. Before this improvement in Rudolph`s recent play I had noticed previously, years ago, that he had some good deep throws and now we have Pickens. I`m looking to see if Rudolph won`t do stupid things like throw picks when under pressure of a good defense and he has not been tested yet. Kenny is good at not making the big mistake and that goes a long way.

I think Rudolph may very well be our best option at this time just because his skill set matches better than Kenny`s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yea, I mean if Belichek fell in love and threw their first DO IT, lol. but the cost is minimal, in some moments he has actually shown a little, so a new OC, and see if he takes off, at worst you do not pick up the 5th year option and try again.

10. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    If Kaboly and Madden report is true that Pickett balked at being a backup for Seattle game and Omar and Art got involved and Trubisky ended being a backup, then Pickett needs to be shown the door.

11. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

We'd be lucky to find someone willing to give us a day 4 pick.

12. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    We don't need to go shopping for a qb next year.

Rudolph, pickett and qb #3 is mcsorley

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I hadn't seen that reported by Kaboly, who has actual sources. Madden doesn't and is not at all credible.

14. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023
    Wow. Everybody is ready to move on from Pickett. You all really think you've seen everything you need to see from Rudolph in two games where everything went right?

We'll see how everything goes for Rudolph the next time the defense he is going up against is stout against the run and doubling George Pickens. Then the pass protection doesn't hold up and the ball has to come out quickly and the defense starts playing downhill.

Those are the conditions that Pickett has been playing under for nearly the entire season. Will Rudolph be able to figure out how to handle it? Will the receivers get frustrated again and stop playing hard?

At least it appears Faulkner and Sullivan have a better idea how to make adjustments and they have added some stuff to the playbook, so maybe there won't be as big of an impact.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    It's easy, you've watched 24 games of Kenny Pickett in the NFL. Regardless of a garbage OC, has there been anything , that passes the eye test in 24 games. Pickett is not a top tier NFL level QB. He wasn't when he was drafted either. The Steelers had to get a QB and Pickett was the best of the least.
    Is Pickett "serviceable" as a starting QB? I think he could be, just like I think Mason Rudolph can be "serviceable". I do think Rudolph has a better limited skill set than Pickett does.
    I am not saying Pickett is the worst QB in the league. I am saying I do not believe he is the answer or the future.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I’m talking about continuing to lose with him this season. Tomlins hatred of Mason was on full display by playing Mitch through those rough stretches and it cost this team possible a win or two and maybe the playoffs as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    What would you get for him? A can of Copenhagen and a diet coke?

18. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Yeah, I read on Twitter that Kaboly was reporting it but I went and searched and didn’t see it…. Just him questioning that Pickett couldn’t play yesterday due to injuries and today he is good to go. Behind the steel curtain has few tweets about it. Unesesssary drama

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...h-steelers-mason-rudolph-nfl-week-18-playoffs it

19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    If they get that for Pickett then Trubisky would probably only bring in an old ash tray full of cigarette butts.

20. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Quick to pull plug? Bradshaw was benched for being bad, he was fortunate starting qb got hurt and having a second chance. Its damn near stupid to keep a qb in for 24 games that is regressing and blaming OC off line and everything else but the qb. Ok, lets leave him in for 5 years! New generation we live in encourages mediocrity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Winner

22. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Once again in Kennys defense, Steelers should’ve let him learn from sidelines , they baptized him by fire, which obviously isnt working. Not many qbs like Ben can come in first year and be successful. Ill show my age here, qbs drafted always sat a year or 2 to learn the speed of the game.
    That being said , its not a lack of patience its too much patience.

23. TomlinW/O#7

TomlinW/O#7 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Who has produced a better product, statistically, over the course of all their starts or opportunities? Because it isn't Kenny Pickett.
    He doesn't see the field better than Rudolph. He doesn't anticipate and throw better than Rudolph. He will not consistently give his play makers chances to make plays like Rudolph has done.
    Neither of them are anything elite but Rudolph is and has been better.
    Kenny Pickett is/was 25th or worse in nearly every statistical category for a QB starting all his team's games at one point this year.

24. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Pickett would do well under the tutelage of Cousins and O’Connell

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Kordell Stewart had how many OCs? Was good under Erhardt, Gailey and Malarkey. Terrible under Sherman and Gillbride.

Let's see how KFP does under a new OC.

• Like Like x 1