1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. M2K

M2K Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    99% of those posting was on the "trade Mason Rudolph, the bum, for a 6th rd pick" two months ago... and now Mason is the savior of Pittsburgh. Good grief. We all witnessed Mason, Trubisky, Pickett, etc... running Canada's ineffective offense... all three QBs looked like crap. Once Canada got the boot, the very next game, Kenny went on the road in Cincinnati, passed for 24/33 278 (would have been over 300 if DJ didn't drop a TD), and led the offense to over 400 yards, winning the game. The stench of Canada's control and offensive philosophy was still strong... but the little space that was opened for Kenny after Canada's departure... showed what Kenny can do when the shackles of Canada are removed. As for Mason Rudolph, this is the same guy that lost his starting position to Duck Hodges... a guy that barely lasted two years in the league. My question is... what the hell is Mike Tomlin doing benching Mason for Duck Hodges if Mason Rudolph had this type of potential? What the hell is Mike Tomlin doing making Rudolph the third string QB behind Kenny and Mitch if Mason Rudolph had this type of potential? And now Mike Tomlin is starting Mason over Kenny... which does three things: 1) blows out the "a starter doesn't lose their starting spot because of injury", 2) makes it 10 times more likely that another team will sign Mason in the offseason, and 3) show a lack of support for Kenny AFTER Kenny showed what he could do with Canada gone. Tomlin's decision making with QBs can't be trusted... and the fact that he wants to start Mason with Kenny cleared to play... is just more evidence. I hope Mason Rudolph rocks Baltimore and leads us to the playoffs... but this was still a mistake.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I fully agree Tomlin has no clue what he's doing when it comes to QBs and offense. For the love of everything holy, Tomlin hired Canada, and then kept him for this season! How can Tomlin be trusted to make any decisions about offense??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Kenny needs to show more, and Mason needs to keep showing. Time will tell how each pans out. As for the moment,Go Steelers and Good luck Mason! Get the extra game or more!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    Fire up some Live Wire while you're at it! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    seahawks passing defense is ranked ahead of ours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's more of a mindset out of spite than any potential reality.... F Tomlin for setting Kenny up for failure... F Mark Madden for starting a bullshytt rumor and F Yinzers for believing such bullshytt rumor... F Nitters that rooted for Pickett to fail from the start...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    This argument by some that Rudolph has played against bad defenses is ridiculous. Do you know what the last ranked defense in the NFL is? AN NFL DEFENSE!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No, he's 5-4-1 in his career. You can't have the good Mason and throw out the bad. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be good on Saturday but, he's still Mason Rudolph.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think his point was that some fans have been criticizing Pickett for good-but-not perfect throws even when he was under pressure, but everything Rudolph does is perfect in their eyes.

That was the one pass I saw against the Seahawks that I am certain Pickett wouldn't make. It's not that he isn't physically capable, but he doesn't stand in there like that.

It isn't just the small sample size. It is the low quality of opposition. The Bengals' defense is horrid, and it was even worse by the time Rudolph faced them due to the loss of D.J. Reader. The Seahawks aren't much better, though Wagner is still fantastic.

Rudolph is usually a statue in the pocket. He can escape here and there, but that's really not his game. Give him a defense that doesn't get much pressure like the Bengals and Seahawks and he can be dangerous. He has shown some growth from the guy we last saw on the field, but we won't know how much of that is real until he faces a better defense. Maybe we will get a good look at that Saturday, though that depends how the Ravens treat the game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LOL. Level of competition doesn't matter? Now I just can't take you seriously.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It was lazy on Pittsburgh's part to 'just promote' Canada to replace Randy Fichtner.
    It was on Colbert for agreeing and allowing it and signing off on that contract.
    It was on Tomlin if he did in fact promote and support it. (He did)
    It was on Omar and Andy to allow him back for 2023.
    It was good on the part of Art II and Art Jr. to finally have enough of the Canada nonsense, but it should have come after the 2022 season. They also agreed on the contract.

Single point of failure. Bad OC messes up the entire team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

kenny played against plenty of EASY defenses.

let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Raiders BLOW - Kenny sucked (D won that game for us)
    Texans - by no means are they juggernauts - Kenny sucked balls
    Green Bay - decent offensive start, but that was running the ball, Kenny did little to nothing.
    Titans - they suck
    AZ - they suck, first half with Kenny as QB, went 3 and out 2 or 3 times in the first half.

lots of illusions of grandeur around here

the best D's - sure, Mason has not played the Ravens, CLE or SF. Maybe he will ...... NEXT YEAR......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Sure it matters. But I’d say for a third string quarterback for him to light up any defense is a pretty good accomplishment, wouldn’t you? :shrug: The point I’m making is that there are those who sang Kenny’s praises when he lit up the Bengals with 16 points but when Mason hangs 34 on them it’s like “but look at how terrible the Bengals defense is”. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The same Defense (Bengals )that just held Genius A. Reid, and the best Qb in the NFL P. Mahomes to one td..., and all field goals...that same terrible Defense???

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, that one!

And in Seattle earlier this year, Brock Purdy was 21-30 (70%) for 209 yds. (6.97 YPA) with a TD and an INT.

Rudolph was 18-24 (75%) for 274 yards (11.42 YPA), with no TDs (Warren and Harris did just fine getting to the end zone) and 0 INTs.

I don’t care about ranking, the Seattle defense in their venue is a tough task for any QB. So people need to stop with this “but look at the defenses Mason is playing against” garbage. Baltimore has a great defense so we’ll see how he fares there. But if he does do well, all we’ll hear is “but Baltimore sat all of their starters”. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Thanks

18. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Straight from the "Two Things Can Be True" news desk, Kenny had a solid game against the Bengals AND Mason had a solid game against the Bengals. Let's not act like the hypocrisy is limited to one side of this debate or the other.
    Maybe I forgot how football works but isn't it a good thing when your quarterback does well?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph has not faced a competent defense yet. Pickett looked great against the Bengals, too.

Pickett threw for 235 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions against the Raiders despite no running game as the offensive line got its collective ass kicked all game long. Again, try getting your facts right.

The entire team came out playing like crap against the Cardinals. Cole ruined two drives with bad snaps on third downs. Also, Pickett had driven the Steelers to the one when he got hurt.

Remember, Pickett was the one who had to deal with Canada's mismanagement of the offense. As soon as that ended, he led the team to 400 yards of offense against the Bengals.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Chiefs scored just 14 points the week before against the Raiders and had been held under 20 four of the six games before their win over the Bengals. At best, they have been wildly inconsistent this season. Yet again, context matters.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No again....You twist facts to try , and make Your bull$hit look not so ridiculous. So now because of what KC did against the raiders makes what happens in Cincinnati relevant????
    LoL. The Dolphins scored 70 against the Broncos, and only 20 against the Raiders. See I can play that stupid game also, and said....See Context Matters. LoL

22. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Now hold on a minute, I'm confused.

You're trying to use Cincinnati's game against Kansas City to strengthen your claim that the Bengals defense isn't all that bad.
    Scribe is using Kansas City's game against the Raiders to strengthen his point that the Chiefs offense isn't playing that well, hence why the Bengals defense looked good
    How is it ok for you to use that comparison but not him? You're both using two teams that aren't the Steelers to make your claim?
    Also, anyone who watches football can admit the Chiefs have been struggling as of late.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    The NFL is a week to week league. Any given Sunday can bring different results. Trying to compare one performance to another based on opponent is never going to be apples to apples. Not to mention many of the games being addressed are divisional opponents playing each other.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

It's why I got out of the debate earlier. All I kept saying is that Rudolph is doing great, but Kenny did great against the Bengals too.

Then I tried to give real football reasons why things have been going well with Rudolph, and that I thought Pickett could be doing well too with the offensive line and entire offense playing better to a man. I pointed out the defensive schemes that teams have used in the last two games and talked about actual coverage, but I was treated like I was screaming that Rudolph sucks at everyone. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I just don't get people. You can still support Rudolph and think he is playing well while also saying the new offensive coaches are doing a good job and every single player on offense is now playing better with less mistakes and less penalties....and that both quarterbacks have played better since Canada was let go. Last I checked we are still allowed to talk about real football X's and O's stuff that actually happens on the field during a football game.

I will be rooting hard for Rudolph to play great in the Ravens game, get the win, and give the team a chance for the playoffs.

I guess I'm just too radical in my thinking for some people.

• Like Like x 1
  25. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    The reality is, there are guys who will root against either guy because they're completely sure they're right about them. All the while, the realization should be that if they both suck, this organization is going to be set back for awhile and if either one of them doesn't suck, yay for the fans.

• Like Like x 3