1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Trade Pickett …

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chris K, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Chris K

Chris K Member

Sep 21, 2022
    I don’t if Mason is totally the Answer at QB but if he is would you trade away Kenny Pickett to another team if he no longer wants to be playing for the Steelers?

2. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Nobody would want pickett

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Every team needs a viable backup, so unless we find a good qb in the draft, you keep Pickett and Rudolph....
    Maybe we can somehow find someone fool enough to give us a day 3 pick for Mitch

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Chris K

Chris K Member

Sep 21, 2022
    Don’t say No One would want him… We took a chance on Mitch Tribusky!

5. Chris K

Chris K Member

Sep 21, 2022
    Vikings Bears Patriots

6. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If Mason was available all last off season and no one others than the Steelers were interested, even for a backup. I can’t imagine anyone would be interested in KFP, particularly if by making him trade bait, the Steelers make it loud and clear that they’ve given up on him.

Could he fetch a 5th round pick? I doubt it could be much more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Pickett is under a rookie deal so he costs very little. Unless he became a cancer in the locker room but I doubt he would.

Mason really has not proved anything yet. He just played against two of the worse defenses in the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Here is the question, if Mason gets crushed next week, plays poorly several picks etc, then what? Sign him as a backup, if you can, and then have a clear REAL competition in camp. But what does that even mean anymore, do they even really run pads, the preseason is a joke so how do you really have a competition to figure it out? It really comes down to game film and real performance. The Steelers are in a big pickle here. Do they move on from KP and just go a season with Mason and draft a future replacement if one is available? This is big time left or right decision that impacts the next decade possibly!!

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    well seeing how we have no guarantee Mason will even be here, and with so many 'quality' guys entering the draft this year, I doubt you get much interest in KP. Seeing how he is not costing you much, you keep him and see what he does with a new OC, perhaps better line. I would definitely try and keep MR, but bring in competition from an experienced vet anyway, because we will need it. Just for posterity, this just showed up on my YT shorts, Mason had his moments, just saying...

https://youtube.com/shorts/I0_o84W4764?si=UW1o8hZSE4OPQPAq

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have been one of the few for the last 2 years saying Mason was the best Qb on the team. ..., but We don't know for a fact what KFP will turn out to be. You still have Him for 2 years on the cheap. So you keep him. You just have a real Qb competition this year , and if He actually wins it....great....if He doesn't....We,still need a backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    SMH

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Nobody would trade for Pickett. Assumed that was understood

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Pickett is cheap... and on his rookie deal with 3 years remaining, including optional 5th year. Steelers are not moving off from him. :rolleyes:

Steelers should attempt to keep Rudolph and draft a QB for 3rd string.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    No way. We invested two years of starting in Pickett. He stays, he is on rookie contract and we have 5th year option available.
    Not right now, stock is low and we are way too invested. Unless there are locker issues.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I know many here are in a rush to move on from Pickett, but the Steeler organization obviously isn't convinced they've seen his best football. He'll be back. I think they'll let Mitch walk. If they don't, they are wasting money. And they'll try to retain Rudolph probably regardless of what happens the rest of this season. Then I'm assuming they'll bring in another veteran.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And another thing... how do you properly evaluate Pickett with Canada as OC? Let's see how Pickett does with a new OC in '24.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    He has little to no value right now. Better off letting him play out his rookie contract and hoping he develops into something than getting rid of him now for nothing. It's not like his contract is a burden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Regardless of how Mason does against the Ravens, he has proven he has command of the offense and the players rallied around him and his leadership. I say resign Mason as the starter and it’s his job to lose going into camp next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Take a deep breath:

next year will be Rudolph 1, pickett 2, mcsorely 3 and we draft corner, Safety and o-line in early rounds

• Like Like x 4
  20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know many have claimed they say enough of Mason to move on from him. I still argue that he played well prior to the knockout concussion and was not given a fair chance afterwards. Did you ever stop to think Mason has made the leap everyone was expecting Kenny to make this year but unfortunately has not?

• Like Like x 5
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm definitely not against this plan. If what Kaboly and Madden are reporting is true, then I'm really questioning Pickett as a leader and team player. I understand he's a competitor and wants to compete, but refusing to be the backup is a tad bit strange.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I do think someone will make a late pick for mitch.

And I agree exactly you don't trade the backup Pickett. Specially with him fresh. We seen 2019 vs 2023 Mason looks crazy different. Maybe Pickett develops behind Mason for a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Somebody took AB, Claypool, Bush and Kendrick Green....

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Chris K

Chris K Member

Sep 21, 2022
    Exactly!

25. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Just think if the Steelers would have given up and traded Bradshaw back when he stunk to high heaven. Some of y’all are just way too quick to pull the plug.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1