1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

would they wait on a WR?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 2, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    whats the chances they wait on a wr this year? I know we all expect one in the first or second round, but what if they wait longer? who may be there? who would you want? would they forsake tall for deep speed?

I will say one thing the cupboard is not bare around here for WR's. AB, DHB, lance moore, marcus wheaton, Derek moye, Justin brown, to go along with a few other young guys already here. we have a wide range of size and speed here already. who would be your pick past round two or even later? :cool:

2. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't know what we are going to do any more. I look at some of the talent that will be there in the 3rd and 4th for CBs and despite needed a major talent upgrade there, think we might not be any worse waiting till then either. I am beginning to wonder if we are going to go Dline or Oline (which I have ignored until recently), take a WR in 2, and then CB in 3 and 4.

One way or another, I think upgrading the overall talent is the most important thing.

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I fully expect to take a weapon, whether that is WR or TE within the first 3 rounds. Round 2 just seems perfect for a WR, but there will be lots of talent around that we might be able to hold off until Round 3.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would they wait when they could get a talented WR who can help the team in either 1st rd or 2nd rd, of all those guys you mentioned AB is the only one that's proven and in his prime.

5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think they will "wait" on a WR, but if we find that the value isn't there at 15, they will go a different direction either by trading down or taking someone at a different position and waiting on a WR.

6. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I'm torn, because I would like a big WR, but I also think Moye can be that guy. I think we could Brandon Coleman later on and fill a more important need. But as it stands, I would like Benjamin in the 2nd or Coleman in the 3rd.

I do think there is some decent prospects in the 6th and 7th also.

Jeff Janis
    L'Damian Washington
    John Brown

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    well the other two are proven. cotchery wasn't in his prime either but still lead them in TD's. the top two rds. are not the only talent in this draft at that spot either. it's just a question and we don't really know which way the team will go, so it is a possibility they don't get one in the first two rounds.:cool:

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we want immediate impact, I think both LSU guys are essentially pro ready after excelling in a pro style offense where they pretty much ran the whole route tree. Lee is also pretty pro ready IMO. I would not be disturbed if we took Lee or Beckham in the 1st.

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I've long thought it very likely that they'll wait on taking a WR. In fact, I think the probability is a bit higher than one being taken in the first couple rounds.

I'm not advocating passing on a certain guy in the first couple rounds, I just think the team will probably target positions that have a steeper talent drop off. This is the deepest WR class in many years, and there is WR depth on the roster. While a lot of the players are question marks to fans, they're much less so to the coaching staff.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. All the talk about grabbing a WR early is fan and media driven. None of it has come from the Steelers. I wouldn't be surprised if they wait to the 3rd.

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    you know the real sad truth is no matter what position we take early be it wr, dt, cb, te, lb, ol. we can use them all. its not like oh we got a steal in this wr or now we have a starting dt for years to come. we still need help at all positions. I hope we wait on wr and lb because they both are deep positions. I think early we take a player who has no one close to him in later rounds. example I really don't feel like the wr who are talked about in 1st or 2nd round are head and shoulders above the 3rd and 4th round guys. I do think that the dt and cb positions are

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh they are going to take a WR, just won't
    be in the early rounds. This is one position
    of evaluation where the steelers actually excel in.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we haven't won a SB since we had a #1 though. holmes.:cool:

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why have the Steelers been having these WR's in for visits and going to their pro days, the WR's that are projected to go early in the draft.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Beckham in the 1st not interested in Lee.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Due diligence. I'm not saying that they won't go early but I can see a case for them waiting too, very deep WR draft. My point is, Steelers don't share their draft plans with anyone, it's pure speculation.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Wait, but Beckham is only 5'11"...

18. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!: DL DB or DB DL than WR...

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I do prefer a big WR but between Lee and Beckham has great hands, Lee not so much plus Beckham is faster.

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Lee has excellent hands. Plus, he already has the body control to make great tiptoe sideline catches, and there are plenty of them when you watch his game tape. Lee is fully capable of making catches like the Santonio Holmes SB game winner with regularity, and that's not a common trait. That said, I would also prefer Beckham - not because of speed, but because of quickness. He gets open fast because he runs great routes and is in and out of his breaks in a flash. In that respect, he's already pro-ready. In less deep WR drafts, both guys are fringe top 10 talents IMO.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not sure we need to look as much at how the receiver played in college, but how they will mesh with bens game. are they a good fit with him?

most get on me about the Matthews comment about catches below the waist. well if you look back since ben has been here, he likes to throw those low, behind the sliding receiver throws. he does it with AB. he did it with sanders. he did it with hines. it takes a while for receivers to get on that page with ben. that's why I questioned Matthews as a good fit, not his pass catching ability or overall game.

that's a lot of what ben does so the receiver has to match up with our qb. we aren't going to change him at this point. just an observation. ben is also not great at pinpointing passes at a receiver on a timing, coming out of a break and having the ball arrive at a spot at the precise moment. just not his game. sure from time to time he can but not as a rule. I just don't think every wr will do with bens game, so they better forsake the rankings from college and match the receiver to the qb.:cool:

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    OK Mac.... where to begin? First on Matthews. Do you have tape that you can point us to where he ignores low passes, or just blows his attempts at catching them? I mean, if there were simply not a lot of low throws sent in his direction, I wouldn't want there to be film of him diving or sliding on the ground for balls thrown over his head just to show that he is willing to attempt a low catch. I watched a bunch of his games, and I didn't see anything unusual with him not going for low throws. So, you've still got me confused on that front until you can show me something. :shrug:

Secondly, Ben indeed does throw timing routes. One of our biggest pass plays is the 10-20 yard in route that AB catches so frequently, and that the ball is out as the receiver is starting his break. I can't count the number of big first downs we get from those plays.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed with this and disagree with you Mac. Does Ben make those bad throws? Sure but it not like it primarily makes up his repertoire. He makes far more good throws then bad and Matthews is more then capable anyway.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes elvis it is on film. yes ben throws outs and there is a difference with throwing to a spot with a guy coming out of a break and thowing to a point for a reception as the receiver breaks when he only has a small window and only a pinpoint pass will do. at least on a regular basis. I guess what you and BF took from what I said as ben can't throw the ball which this always turns into. dear God don't ever say anything bad about ben. big difference guys in what I'm trying to point out here. OK Matthews is the best in the draft he naver fails. why is he not at the top of the draft boards? jeez, sometimes I just:facepalm:. I also never said Matthews wasn't a good receiver at what he does. I just don't think he is as complete a receiver as some others. would I welcome him or ebron or evans as a steeler, sure, but not my first choices. those sliding back hip catches ARE part of bens game. hines made a good living off of them getting first downs. I don't see Matthews as that type of guy anywhere in his film. :cool:

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    First off I'm a USC fan and I have seen every game Lee has played, he dropped a lot of easy passes in 2013 you can't always judge a player by his youtube highlights.