1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would the steelers take a chance on Jaylon Smith in round 4?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe roll the dice, after getting their safety, OLB ,cb?

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Round 4? Oh heck yes. I'd even do the 3rd, maybe 2nd if medical isn't totally bad.

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Of course they would in round 4.

But you make me think of just who will slide in this draft? That's the question.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Ifo fell to the 7th last year. It could happen. Would take him in a second at 4, maybe take five seconds at 3.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I brought this up in another thread. I'd probably take this guy in any round if no nerve damage, he's that good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He won't sniff the 4th. May barely reach the 2nd. If your a team that knows you are a few years and several players away you will take this guy. IMO he's gone by the 45th overall pick

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The 49ers have 12 picks they will draft a player like Smith if he slides, not interested in a player who can't play in 2016.

8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I would have the very best DR's looking at this young man, I hope he can recover to his full
    capabilities. He is a helluva ball player. Fits the the Steeler MO to a T. He would have to add weight / muscle to
    handle OL, but he has all the makings of a SUPERSTAR.

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Despite the serious nature of the injury, I think he still goes in round 1. At worst the top half of round 2.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It's certainly possible. For a team at the top of the 2nd round that is realistically 2 or more years away from having a contending roster, it makes a lot of sense to grab a guy who can be a perennial pro bowler starting a year or two down the road. It also makes sense for a more complete team at the bottom of the first round to stock their roster for the future with a guy like Smith if they don't have a glaring day 1 need for the 1st round pick. A team like New England pops into mind. Denver would have as well until they ended up with no QB. We are probably not that team given the state of our secondary, edge rush and depth on both lines.

11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    SE why did you have to mention the Pats?:)

12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    After watching Mayock interview him, he will go in the first/second. I guess April 15 is
    medical re evalution time? Watch the big board shift he is that much of a player. I am like Chuck Noll
    was with Rod Woodsen, he has Pgh Steeler written all over him. I wish the Steelers could make it work,
    But I doubt it.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

He wont be drafted early, it could be a year before he is back in shape, and he may never recover:

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Jeff Legwold report that "[m]ultiple teams have made the decision to fail [Notre Dame LB Jaylon] Smith on the physical after his exam on Friday."

Smith's currently rehabbing from a torn ACL and MCL suffered against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Those injuries are catastrophic enough in their own right, but after undergoing his physical at the NFL Scouting Combine, nerve damage was also discovered in the knee and ankle. According to ESPN's report, at least three NFL teams are scared enough that they've decided they won't be drafting Smith. Had he been healthy, the 6-foot-3, 223-pounder might have been a top-10 selection this spring. As is, it's very difficult to determine when he might be drafted. NFL Media's Ian Rapoport has previously reported that he could miss the entire 2016 season. Smith will undergo a medical recheck in Indianapolis come April.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I can't see anyone taking him off their draft boards entirely. I think it's just a question of round. The further down you get in the draft, the less likelihood of success. At some point the medical risk is less than general player quality risk.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I was on record for taking him early if it was ACL and MCL only but with the nerve damage, probably wouldnt take him at all now, late rd at best. Spence was never the same player, great comeback story but wasnt the same player he once was.

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    It could be a Marcus Lattimore type situation where he falls all the way to the mid rounds.

I still think he goes no longer than round 2. If he's there for the Pats, I doubt they pass on him if he is cleared medically.

All these reports of teams failing him medically are just a ruse. It's all tricks and games this time of year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He does have nerve damage though, yes? That part has been confirmed I think.

If so, I don't think there are any ruses involved. Whoever drafts him will not get the player he used to be.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If he was there in rd 4 then maybe take a chance on him, I see a team like New England taking a chance on him in rd 2 they have two 2nd rd picks.