1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would really like this scenario with the 49ers.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by kakhatesmortgages, Apr 19, 2014.

1. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
  2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yeah that would be an excellent scenario if it played out. Pick 30 brings nice value as we could still nab a CB or WR if that's what the FO is targeting. I'dp be all over that trade! Thanks for posring the link.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Really hate this idea. At 15 we're talking a difference maker. At 30 we're talking maybe filling holes, and getting a third string RB for a bonus. I really wouldn't consider going lower than 21 (GB trading up for a linebacker) and then if and only if Dennard and Fuller are both still on the board. If Gilbert or Evans are on the board, I wouldn't trade down period.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't think we are necessarily talking about a difference maker, it depends upon how the draft falls. If you look at how the mocks have moved around, I have seen Dennard at 10 and seen him at 27. I have seen the same for a guy like Jernigan who I am not sure is even in the first round in most mocks any more. I have seen Roby as high as 13. I have seen Hanegan as high as 15. I think after that first 8-10 picks the guys have a LOT more flexibility to move around.

That being said, I would approach the draft this way....

First, I wait to see if one of the guys I really want slips to us at 15. This would be guys in that targeted group that Colbert and Tomlin talk about as guys you don't pass on.

Second, I determine who my 2nd tier guys are based on priority and determine which guy I would be willing to take. I fill out my card and send the guy to hand it is with 1 second remaining on the clock. If we have done proper scouting, this shouldn't be hard to determine.

Third, I explore any and all trade options. I look at teams who want a QB, but didn't feel they could pass on the player there in the top 5. Teams like Cleveland and Houston, who may not have been able to pass on Clowney or Watkins and still want a QB. I look at teams like San Francisco who have particular needs and extra picks they may consider using to move up.

I personally like the idea of moving back with Cleveland, but I'm not sure we will want to help them out. I would expect them to overpay in order to get a trade if they want to draft a QB.

5. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Agreed!

Obviously, I would't want to trade back if K. Mack or Jake Matthews are still available....or some others even...

And I would definitely want us to pull the trigger on Evans, Gilbert or Ebron at 15.

And yea, we could get a ridiculous offer if someone like Bortles or Manziel are still there at 15, it would be tough to pass up....

Especially after doing this mock draft on here, I think I would just love the idea of us stockpiling picks, in this, the deepest draft in a LONG time...

6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I've proposed SF as a trading partner before. SF will trade up with someone, I am pretty sure on that. They have too many picks that they do not need. If Colbert wants to move down, I think SF will be willing to dance.

In another thread I suggested moving down why acquiring SF's 2nd round and 3rd round pick. I think I would just rather do that deal than getting Lamichael James. Its a toss up though. He is the kind of RB I am looking for.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that's a long way to move after all the talk of never getting to draft in the top half of the draft. that would have to be worth a kings ransom. why would SF go for that? they do have needs.

we have 9 picks right now. get some guys that can make a difference and lets ball. we have done decent with FA's this year, lets see what we have after this draft and see if the new starters from last year have evolved some. if we can improve by 2 wins from last year I'd consider that a success. I just don't see any one player in this draft that will give us 4 more wins this season. not a lot of super stars but pretty even across the board good players. we don't need to overwhelm the coaching staff with a million new faces to try out in camp. we need them to get a team ready to win the season opener.:cool:

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would seriously consider a trade with San Fran along those lines (depending on who is available at 15 of course). However, I think the Aldon Smith saga makes it less likely that they move up in the first, not more likely. They only had obvious immediate needs at corner and WR. If you add OLB to the mix, I think they are more likely to stay at 30, and attempt to use some of their other ammo to move up in the 2nd (maybe twice) and come away with 2-3 players in the top 40. Also, if they do move up to the teens, I'm not sure that Barr would be their target. WR or CB could be on their minds for immediate impact, and if they are looking for an OLB that high it could be Attaochu, and not Barr.

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    My reason for making a deal like this with San Fran wouldn't be to get more players overall, but to be better positioned to get more impact players. With this year's depth, I'd rather have #30, #46 and #56 in rounds 1 and 2 than #15 and #46. In that scenario, I would strongly consider using our 4th to move up from #46 if someone interesting started sliding to improve our chances of getting a few impact players. We can get two bona-fide 1st round talents at #30 and #40-ish (depending on trade partner), and still have #56 and #97 to get a couple more solid prospects.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we have to listen to all offers,Just
    my opinion,we need a lot of help to compete
    at a high level. I have said it till I am
    blue in the face we need IMPACT players,
    playmakers what ever you want to call it.
    We have plenty of marginal players,this is why
    we are 8 and 8.

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have been seeing people calling for us to draft Odelle Beckam, I think the only way I like that pick is if we trade back to somewhere around 20-25. I don't like the idea of drafting Beckam at 15.

The guy is only 5' 11', I'd much rather get him in round 2 or 3.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Would you draft another Antonio Brown with the 15th overall pick? I'm not saying that Beckham is definitely the second coming of AB, but there's a really strong similarity on tape (other than blocking). Also, with Beckham we would get a very mature route runner by college standards. Remember, his OC was Cam Cameron who brought an NFL style passing attack to LSU, so Beckham and Landry spent 2013 running a more complete route tree than many of the receivers in the draft. I haven't watched enough of Beckham to say - yes, he is just like AB, but I think he's a top notch prospect, and will likely be a very productive pro WR. Given the composition of our WR corps, I would prefer a more physical guy (not necessarily tall), but I wouldn't reach for a questionable big guy like Benjamin over Beckham.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cooks would be my pick over beckham if we are going that route. i'll give up that inch for strength. cooks is built if you look at him. he's short but the speed,hands,quickness and strength are better. he won the balenikoff (sp?) for a reason and was close to that they previous year. AB with a build+jets.

as for the draft, I have a feeling we try to move up in the 3rd using our extra 5th or 6th picks this year. I'd stick in 1-2 unless we make out like fat cats with someone. a lot of teams are going to like the bottom of the 1st and the top and middle of the 2nd. we've seen Colbert do this in the past. don't know, just a hunch.:cool: