1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Landry have fared any better?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 10, 2018.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There is no factual evidence LJ would of fared any better just a assumption based on a prior situation that has nothing to do with the actual game on Sunday. He has failed as well and may have on Sunday too. We will never know. It is just a prediction,no proof because it didn't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Dobbs is in the NFL. LJ is not....bwaaaaah

3. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I have to agree here. With both Dobbs and Rudolph on the roster, I don't see how cutting a veteran (who knows the playbook and is comfortable running it in it's entirety) is a wise choice.

4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    When I said I would keep Dobbs of Jones it was my contention that even if you want to say Jones is a better QB than Dobbs at this point, that Dobbs has not hit his ceiling, where as Jones has. But the key thing to remember is Jones was set to be a FREE AGENT next season.

If you cut Dobbs he goes on to another team....and the Steelers go into next season with Ben and Rudolph....unless you wanted to pay Jones probably 1.5 to 2 mill a season to stay.

At which point you are most likely drafting another QB

now in 2019 it should be Ben, Dobbs, Rudolph and a camp arm....all under contract...and less cap expense than paying Jones again.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Hack has kind of beaten me to it on this one, but the key thing for letting Jones go was, I believe, that his contract was up the next year. It was a long-term decision, so for me it can't really be judged on one game's performance by Dobbs.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It was one play. Talk about focusing too much on a small sample size.

He actually did play an important role in losing that game. The offense did absolutely nothing against a terrible defense with Dobbs in there and he turned it over once.

Regarding how he came into the game, Jones has come in cold and made plays in the past. Dobbs failed to do that. It is absolutely fair to compare things we have now seen both guys do. More importantly, the team has trusted Jones with the full playbook in the past and they didn't trust Dobbs with it Sunday.

7. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don’t disagree with this.

My question goes back to Draft Day. You’ve got: Ben, who’s fantastic but historically misses games because of his play and the violent AFC North; Jones, an experienced, capable backup who knows the entire playbook and has at least some rapport with the A-team; and Dobbs, your high pick from just last year. There are no “OMG, we must have this guy” QBs in the draft—at least, not by the time we first pick. Why take any QB in this draft?

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We now have evidence of what both guys can do in those situations. We've seen Jones have success off the bench. We've seen Dobbs fail. We've seen the team trust Jones with the full playbook. We've seen the coaches refuse to do that with Dobbs. All of that is factual evidence.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As I already posted, it was one way in which they sacrificed this season for the future, which is a mistake when you have a team that is a contender.

10. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Have we seen Jones fail off the bench too? The answer is yes. So there is a probability he could of failed again. So past performance is no guarantee of future results. So we will never know. You're welcome to keep trying though...

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course.....

12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Valid question but we did grab a QB that they obviously liked and saw something in. Since we did draft Rudolph the decision came down to upside or emergency stop gap. We chose the upside and the way the season has turned out with Ben missing virtually no time the decision seems to have paid off. Like I said in another post if we didn't have Ben for the next 2-3 games is LJ winning those games for us? Better chance being attacked by a shark in one of the Three Rivers.....

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah so they opened up the playbook for 1 series and he threw a INT but they didn't trust him enough like LJ to open up the playbook. I find that scenario hard to believe but the premise is convenient.....

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep pointing out that play because he did his job. Period. You want to ignore that and focus on when he doesn't. It's more of a reach to draw a conclusion after 9 pass attempts.

We have also seen Jones come in cold and not perform.

Ben and company scored 14 points which should have been 7 points if not for JuJu. Lets not get carried away and lets not compare Dobbs to Ben. Jones couldn't carry Bens jock either.

You're making a lot of conclusions without all the information. You don't know how Jones does, you're just making him successful in that situation to support your point of view.

You don't know why they didn't open the playbook for Dobbs, if thats even true. I find it hard to believe it is because Dobbs doesn't know it, he probably learned it fairly quickly. So that leaves two other possibilities. Not having enough practice time to cover the whole playbook and thats hardly Dobbs fault or they were afraid of him making a mistake and that is also the coaches fault. They kept him as the 2nd string, go all in and don't hold him back.

It's impossible for you to be proven right in the short term but you may be proven right in the long term after a comparable body of work.

• Agree Agree x 2