1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would Landry have fared any better?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 10, 2018.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We all saw how Dobbs played. Would Landry Jones have played better in the same scenario? Did the Steelers screw up by picking Dobbs over Jones?

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    A little better, but probably not enough to get the W

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Impossible to say. Charlie Batch was saying that they didn't do Dobbs any favors by not opening up the play book to give him a chance. The biggest hindrance to Dobbs was the lack of a running game. The OL played very poorly yesterday. Couldn't run the ball at all and got Ben hurt against a team that fielded 11 players that had accounted for only 4 sacks all year. I think I heard the stat that they rushed for only 40yds and 15 came from Dobbs scramble. That is pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Landry would’ve been better. Maybe leading to another missed field goal.

5. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    When Tomlin picked Dobbs over Landry everyone was praising him for making the right decision.. Now everyone hates it

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Landry was a Raiders killer, he actual came in to fill in for an injured Ben against the Raiders at Heinz Field. He hit AB for a long gain to set up a winning FG. Think it was 2015 or something.

7. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Would Landry have fared better? Yes with his experience with the playbook he would have moved the chains slightly better. Would he have been the better choice than Dobbs? Not sure. If they had turned Dobbs loose and let him ball I think he would have done better but they limited him and tried to force him to be a pocket passer. They should have let him move and utilize RPO. I'd have also used more pick plays and designed mismatches instead of letting guys play into the Raiders strength .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with Batch when you watch that game you see a very limited playbook. Also let's not forget his INT went right thru AB's hands. It wasn't to long ago they put Dobbs in on a 3rd and long and he made one heck of a throw. I am not ready to give up on Dobbs I just wish they gave him a little more leash.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You’ll never know the answer to this because Landry didn’t play. Pure speculation to sit there and say he plays better.

It’s not like Ben has never had a few three and outs, Landry certainly has, let’s not forget, Landry was an inconsistent back up QB. Hence why he was a BU. I think fans tend to expect too much of them, no matter who it might be in there.

The real problem wasn’t Dobbs, it was MT sitting Ben when he didn’t have too.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They got beat on a stunt one time. It's not like the Raiders got consistent pressure. The run blocking wasn't great, but it doesn't help that Samuels is so slow getting to the hole. The line wasn't the real issue yesterday. Handing four drives to a quarterback with serious accuracy issues was a much bigger problem than the line.

Yes, I do feel like yesterday's game provided evidence to support my argument that gambling on Roethlisberger's health by cutting Jones was a big mistake. The Steelers tried to go into turtle mode with a four-point lead. They actually did let Dobbs try to run the regular offense on one drive and that predictably ended in an interception. Jones has produced in those situations in the past. The Steelers have also shown they were willing to run the actual offense with him taking snaps, something they were clearly reluctant to do with Dobbs.

I do agree with Blast on one thing. The larger problem was sitting Roethlisberger when it wasn't necessary.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    There is no evidence that proves Jones would of fared any better. Thus there is no proof to support your argument that cutting him was a big mistake . Jones has also faltered in the past. They let Dobbs run the regular offense? How do we know that for certain based on 1 pass? That it also conveniently ended in a INT to help support your argument...hmm.Yet they were reluctant to let Dobbs run the real O. Let's try to be accurate.;). No offense but I'm gonna side with Charlie Batch on this one and he says they didn't open up the playbook for Dobbs.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My God man he still doesn't have a job? If he is so good why doesn't he have another job.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Correct. and He's not......

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I already presented the evidence that Jones would have done better. He has had success in NFL games before. Dobbs had one good throw before yesterday. The Steelers had shown that they were willing to trust Jones with the full playbook. Clearly they did not have that much faith in Dobbs.

The fact that they wouldn't run the real offense with Dobbs IS the evidence. They knew he couldn't be trusted with it. It's not that Dobbs struggled because they wouldn't let him run the offense. It's that they didn't run the offense because they didn't trust Dobbs.

You are certainly welcome to disagree with the argument and the evidence, but to say there is no evidence is just a factual error on your part. I'm sure all the folks calling for Dobbs to play and those who applauded the decision to cut Jones are making plenty of excuses today. The truth is they were wrong and yesterday's loss offered an excellent demonstration of why they were wrong.

15. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    yes sir, actually I would rather seen Rudolf in place of Dobbs, but because Dobbs is in he second year and Rudolf is his first, I believe thats way Dobbs is over him eventually Rudolf will take his place.

Jones might of played better or at least they would gave him a better game plan and then the Raiders would not stack the box as they knew the Steelers were not going to pass much with Dobbs.

16. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I think Steelers win that game with Landry. However, I think Steelers lose to the Ravens without Dobbs. If he doesn't complete that 3rd and 22 from their endzone, Ravens get the ball in great position and win.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a hell of a reach.

18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I never thought it was the right decision

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Neither did I. I thought it was a terrible decision at the time and Sunday's loss left me more convinced than ever that the Steelers screwed up. It seems like they made a few bad decisions that sacrificed this season, including going without a veteran backup quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    First off, Ben should have been in the game. Ben at even 70% is light years ahead of Landry or Dobbs. That being said, Ben wasn't in the game. So my question is assuming the circumstances were the same would Landry have outplayed Dobbs. To me it is a no brainer that he would have. The fact that the playbook had to be limited for Dobbs speaks volumes. Landry is no Ben, not even by a long shot. But with Landry you could have run most of the playbook. I think the Steelers could have gotten at least one scoring drive out of Jones. Hopefully Ben dosent miss anytime the rest of the season. But if he does I think I have seen enough to give Rudolph a helmet the rest of the year.

21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep in mind during the season back up's get very little work at practice,
    this is quite possible why Dobbs may not have been as sharp as he could have been.

22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    They did Dobbs a disservice by limiting the playbook.. We saw what he was capable of doing in preseason. I think the Oakland defense knew there would be a steady diet of run plans so they stacked the box and shut him down. Landry would not have been the answer. Dobbs and Rudolph are the future. They needed to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I wasn't on board with this. Then Dobbs had a great game in preseason against players on the bubble and now on the street. So Popcorn was then convinced this was our new #2.

Who really knows if Jones would have won or played better, he is on the street.

What I want a real explanation about is why Ben stood on the sidelines while Dobbs struggled? maybe because Popcorn was hoping he would have lit it up like in pre season. Well, he didn't, not playing against scrubs. Ben should have been put back in when he jogged back on the field.

24. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Listen to his presser today. Should be a doozy

25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Probably going to be a record amount of um's and cliches