1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Would coulda shoulda

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brandon556211, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Maybe, but the only one in which the defense didn't completely fall apart was the loss to the Patriots, and they couldn't run on that team whoever was at quarterback.

He was No. 3 by merit, but yes, Tomlin should have adapted sooner and yanked Trubisky early against the Patriots.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Unfortunately imagining is all we can do at this point since Tomlin inexplicably felt that Mitch gave us a better shot than Mason for some reason. :facepalm:

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Eagles' lost a must win game at home to those same Cardinals the Steelers lost to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Yap. That Haley. Canada would have been gone, which by definition, would have improved the team.

u asked a dumb question, and I gave a reasonable answer. Of course, you won’t like the answer because the premise of your question was just dumb.

5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Anyone off the street chosen by Rooney+Khan would have done better than Tomlin.

its your wrong fantasy to think absolutely no one can do better than Tomlin. It’s just dumb to think that.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No, it's ignorant speculation to think that "anyone off the street" would be better. After all, they might pick YOU off the street. I'm sure there are guys who could do a better job than Tomlin. Problem is, all the ones I can think of at the moment already have jobs.

7. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    you’re reaching.

As I said, I trust Rooney and Khan to hire someone that will do a better job than Tomlin. Who will they hire? How would I know?? But I trust they will do better than Tomlin if they simply just go through the hiring process.

8. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Not quite must, because the Eagles were already in the playoffs. It will cost them the NFC East and a home game, but the Steelers loss may cost them a playoff game. Plus the Steelers lost to a DTR led team and the Pats on a short week. If it was just one bad loss, you might be able to overlook it (especially when Rudolph is making the choice to play Trubisky was massively stubborn).

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    No, what you said was that "anyone off the street chosen by Rooney+Khan would have done a better job than Tomlin" and I'M reaching? You made the statement. Anyone off the street.....

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They hired Canada. Was that an awesome hire

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Steel Music

Steel Music Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    The whole " Never had a loosing season" thing is BS. Who cares. I'd rather have some loosing seasons mixed in and actually have some playoff success.

Also, think about this. How many other coaches had a hall of fame QB from the start of their hc career and probably the best defensive coordinator of all time for a lot of those years?

I'll look at people that throw that stupid stat out there like I look at politicians. They throw out some stupid sound bite without context,for dumb people that don't consider the whole picture.

How many other Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks in Big Ben's generation were there and how many of those coaches had losing seasons during the tenure of those Hall of Fame quarterbacks? He shouldn't have a 'losing season' when he's had a Hall of Fame quarterback his entire career. He's only not had #7 for a few years and he is damn close to having a losing season. So close it basically doesn't even matter the difference between how close he is to having a true losing season. You're really splitting hairs over a half game?

Tell me what the difference is between 8-8, 9-7-1 and 9-8 and a loosing season is, because that's what he's done lately. You're splitting hairs if you really think there's a difference between those records and what you call a losing season. A losing season is not getting a playoff win. I don't give a **** about the half game or one game difference between a 'losing season' and those records. None of them have produced one goddamn playoff win. So you're stupid stat is useless. It hasn't produced a playoff win in way too long.

The only way Tomlin should stay is if he relinquishes complete control of the offense. Besides maybe being able to dictate whether we go for it on 4th down and maybe a goal line play here or there he needs to stay the hell away from the offensive side of the ball.

If he's not willing to do that then he needs to go. Thanks for everything but his time has run its course.

Get the hell out of here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd like to see some kind of lottery for draft position. Doesn't have to be a free for all. Maybe the top 6 and the last 6 are record based and playoff status like it is now, but 6-26 be lottery draws.

Maybe they do it like the NBA?

Something different so that teams that are consistent like the Steelers, don't get perpetually stuck at outside the top 10 and have a chance at a higher rated QB without trading the whole bag to move up?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Music

Steel Music Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    I actually like this idea, however there are upsides to how it is currently. The way it is now, you don't have to wait forever to rebuild. I'd say the NFL is one of the fastest sports that you can turn around a bad team into a championship contender.

And to be clear, I like Mike Tomlin as a person and I rooted for him for a long time. The reason why we have been stuck in mediocrity and in my opinion did not achieve what we could have with some of the roster's we had in the past is because of how Tomlin is too chummy with his players. Currently though, I think the game has passed him by for the current way that he coaches. If he delegates some of the offensive duties and sticks to evaluating the opponent and coming up with an overall game plan but letting a great offensive mind work his magic and he keeps his hand more in the defense I think that would be a winning combination actually. Anything less than that, I think it's time for him to move on.

15. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016

What is it about Tomlin that makes him a good coach in your opinion?

What does he bring to the table?

What does he bring that is irreplaceable?

16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Depends what street and where

17. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Here's the rub though. Look at how many QBs weren't drafted in the top 10 that are on good teams right now (or would be good if they were playing)

Rodgers
    Lamar
    Flacco
    Dak
    Hurts
    Love
    Purdy

That's nearly 25% of the league and Mahomes was barely in the top 10 and Trubisky (!!!) was taken before him. Devin Bush was taken at the same spot in the draft. The Steelers got Ben as the 3rd QB in 04, and he was probably the best QB of those three. Ditto with Josh Allen.

If you build your team correctly and evaluate talent properly, you don't need to have a top 10 pick. Pickett was the first QB taken in 2022.

Yes, you're more likely to get a better QB the higher you pick, but drafting higher means the rest of the roster is a mess too.

18. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    He's in one of the hardest divisions. Yet he is able to get into the post season. I'm not a fan of the last decade in the post season, but he gets us there.
    But there's teams out there 3 coaches deep with barely any seasons getting into the post season. He also has a great winning record.
    Some teams have not even had a back to back winning season. For instance some of y'all are drooling at the browns, which is one of those two teams.
    Some teams are 3 straight losing seasons.... 4 of them are 5+ straight consecutive losing seasons.

He also doesn't rush players to start. So they learn and then we see them being great.

In the AFC there is two division that have 2 teams that can make the post season. While ours, all 4 can still get in.

In the nfc you have teams with losing records having a chance to get in.

So his record, being in one of the hardest divisions, coaching players, and the respect he has throughout the league is what I like. And I don't see but 5ish coaches in the last decade who could be up to those standards.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    He is? This team is likely not going so that's two trips in six seasons.

A "decade" of playoff failure is a very big deal. Winning three playoff games in 13 years should not be acceptable.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    1. Yes, he is in one of the hardest. Do I need to repeat again how often there's 3 teams or all able to have a chance to get into the playoffs at the final week vs how many divisions only have 2 or less?
    2. And while I agree. Some teams are not even going or rarely go. And so many consecutive losing seasons.

Some of y'all have no idea how bad it is on the other side. Y'all look at highlight coaches. or focus on the 5 coaches that are better, but think that 5 is 31 coaches are better and grow on trees..... for instance I used to argue Matt Lafleur as being better. But look at the NFC. He's actually in the post season with not even having a winning season right now.... put us in the NFC and we would be #6.

And again all 4 teams in our division can make it. There's no other division like that.

21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    That's true this year, and has been a few other seasons, but certainly hasn't been true the majority of Tomlin's career. The Tomlin career where he very infrequently wins a playoff game. The guy is over rated.

22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I don't have the time to post how rare it is for 3 teams in a division to have a chance in their final week.

There's literally divisions out there with having 3 teams with no winning season. And it happens all the time.

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In the decade of the 80's into the 90's how many coach's were better than us eventually getting Cowher?? My point, at times being good is not good enough, you take a risk and for sure the choice may be bad...or the replacement just may be your next 15 year guy. I have no names, but there are always new faces out there...you find them by interviewing.

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    there's about 5 coaches in the last decade better than tomlin..... there's an insane amount of teams with new coaches. 69 in the last decade to be exact. That is almost 1 in 14 chances a coach was better than tomlin in the last decade.

https://gophnx.com/nfl-history-poin... change”,coaches hired in the last 10 seasons

https://www.milehighreport.com/2022...layer -,(never been an NFL head coach before).

Tomlin is in the top 15 all time winning percentage. with in the last 2 decades he is #4 on that last (with having 10+ more seasons then they do).
    - Matt Lafleur (3 out of 4 post season)
    - Jim Harbraugh (3 of 4 seasons with a post seasons, as well always winning at least one game in the post season).
    - Sean Mccvay (4 out of 6 post season)
    - Bill Belichick. Great coach with Brady. now he looks like crap.
    - Mike Tomlin
    then the rest follows for winning coaches in the last decade
    - Sean Payton. great coach
    - andy reid. great coach
    - mike vrabel 2 of 4 post seasons. with now having back to back fails
    - bruce adrians 4 of 8 post season. with 3 losing seasons.
    - John Harbraugh 4 losing seasons. 11 of 16 post season.
    - mike Mccarthy (got fired in green bay mid season)
    - Kyle Shanahan 4 out of 7 post season. 3 of those were loses.

and then it drops off after that. vs 60+ coaches who were wrose with most of them being complete garbage.

So yeah my point is proven that some of y'all do not realize how good we have it, while being in the hardest division in the last decade.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  25. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    @Lambert upload_2024-1-1_14-3-31.png

like I said. we are one of the hardest divisions. this is the results of the last decade.