1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 22

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Animus, Nov 19, 2022.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    OK I have done some learning:) USA has to beat Iran or party is over. Learned 32 teams this time but for 2026 I think 48. And I see Mexico, USA and Canada (not the great QB coach) host the teams in 2026. Hope Philly gets Italy if they make it. I would think the extra 16 countries will help. USA could be a strong team in 4 years.

2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    A lot can happen between now and 2026. Depends on what teams qualify and unforseen things like teams boycotting for whatever reason. For instance, Italy didn't qualify for this year's World Cup despite winning the UEFA Euro Cup in 2021(technically from 2020 but postponed due to Covid.)
    You're right about the US team. They should be strong in '26.
    The wife and I have been kicking around the idea of making it to a game in Toronto. Kind of depends on what groups play where.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Spain and Germany was a good game. Ended in a tie.

METALMAN_68, question for you since you seem to know way more then I about this. I'll assume these players play on league teams around the world. Regardless what team you play for the other 3 years do you get to play for your country for the WC????? Say 3 guys from Spain play on different teams and really have never played together. Do these guys get to play together for the country?? Hope to hell they get a lot of practice together if that is the case.

Thanks!!!!!!

4. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    That is generally the case, yes. Players usually play for their national teams for other national competitions besides the World Cup. For example, the US had a squad that played for the Concacaf Gold Cup, which includes teams from North and Central America, that did not include their best player Christian Pulisic. However, leading up to the World Cup he was able to split time with his club(Premier league Chelsea) and the national team in qualifying games for the World Cup. That gave him plenty of practices and games with the national team.

Spain has tournaments like the European Championship and Confederations Cup for their National team. These tourneys are usually televised in the US, you just have to know when and where to find them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I love how Soccer works. Game is 90 minutes, one short break after 45 and NO COMMERCIALS!!!!!!! How the hell they generate revenue without all those commercials I have no idea.

Compare that to our NFL. 60 minute game that they turn into a 3+ hours.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Looks like my dark horse Cameroon won't advance so............Go Netherlands!

• Like Like x 1
  7. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    During league play, revenue is generated from sponsors on the actual jerseys, as well as around the stadium. Also from t.v. rights. For example, the Premier league is paid by Fox Sports to televise their games on Fox Sports One. There's no shortage of money going to the bigger clubs.

8. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    GO USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would dig the hell out of advancing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    GOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love hearing some of those calls:)

Halftime and the USA up 1-0. Scored another goal but it was called off sides (which I finally figured out)

Far from an expert but easy to tell USA totally dominated first half. We look so much better then Iran. Must have had 6-7 shot at net. Some flew over goal and others weak enough for their net minder to handle.

Again not knowledgeable with this sport but I would say France looks scary good. I do love no commercials and no clock stopping even with a guy injured. Although I never know how much time is added on to the game.

USA Shock the world!!!!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Bravo boys!! The game reminded me of many Steeler games where we dominate first half and held on for dear life second half.

The first half I was very impressed with how we played most of time on offense. Second half was all about making that 1 goal stand up.

I think Netherlands is next on Saturday. (I may never type the S word again since that Bay City Rollers song came to mind)

• Like Like x 1
  11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    S A TUR DAY NIGHT!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Going to be a tough match against the Dutch but it was awesome to see them get out of the group stage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Something I find interesting, and kind of goes by what I was talking about....out of the 26 players on the USA soccer team are actually born in America???

14. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Five players on the national team weren't born in the US. Conversely, two players born in the states play for different national teams. Japan, and Canada.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Since I've spent a lot of time on the beaches in Mexico I'm pulling for them this afternoon.

Denmark and Australia on now and proud to say I figured out who was who after only 30 seconds. Tough when they both look alike.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    USA plays them Dutch guys. Still pulling for them??

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah. Futbol is just not big enough in this country yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Agree but I'm looking forward to 2026 and hope to hell USA has a game in Philly. Not sure how it will work as all the America's will get some games.

• Like Like x 1
  19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    There might be some support by then. My cousin's son missed the cut for the national team 8 years ago. He went on to play briefly in Seattle and some European team. He now coaches at a college in one of the Carolinas. In 2026, I'm sure there will be games played in L.A. I don't think I want to get involved in that traffic nightmare!

• Like Like x 3
  20. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Kudos to Poland's net minder. Still first half but he made an AMAZING save on a penalty shot. I would think 9 times out of 10 penalty shots find the back of the net.

21. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    There's some dudes who are almost impossible to stop on PKs. Guys at that level can put it wherever they want.

22. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Just when you think you saw everything in sports.

Yesterday I watched a team win and be sad and a team lose and be elated.

Obviously the amount of goals you score matters at this stage. Mexico won but needed another goal. Poland lost and moved on because of this.

• Like Like x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Yep, crazy how that works.

24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Wow, how the hell Belgium didn't win that game is impossible to believe. So many great chances and some really unlucky bounces screwed them.

The one and only person I know overseas is wife's best friend of 55 years and he is a citizen of Belgium. Look forward to hearing how it is in the country. He was born and raised in USA and hated Soccer when he moved over but after so many years he loves it.

25. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to watch as many games as I would like because of work. Going to a tailgate to watch Saturday though!