1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Won't contribute on 3rd downs? Can someone explain?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by WinTheNorth, Apr 28, 2012.

1. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The above was written in the ESPN AFC North Blog. Based on the some of the commentary I've seen on this guy, I can understand if it's 3-and-long since his pass rushing ain't great but wasn't that also the case for Hampton? If it's 3rd and short I would think this guy (at least based on the commentary) would be just what the Dr order.

2. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We have always pulled our NT in obvious pass situations. We go with two down lineman (DEs) and then the rest are LBs

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    That's a saying that should be "he won't contribute on passing downs." It's pretty much standard lingo to use "passing downs" and "3rd downs" interchangeably, even though for reasons you highlighted it's not technically correct. However, I would argue that a top tier nose tackle can contribute on 3rd down without being on the field if his run stuffing gets you to 3rd and long instead of 3rd and medium/short distance. Their re

4. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If a guy like Ta'Amu stuff the run on 1st, and 2nd down... so we're forcing offense into 3rd and long then I have no problem w/ him being a 2 down player.

5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    And everyone seems to be thinking those 2 spots are for Kiesel / Heyward / Hood.

That is only for 3rd and long. 3rd and short, he'll be in, take it for granted.
    That's been the way Casey Hampton has or hasn't played 3rd downs.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's just a broad, stupid statement. They mean he'll often come out in obvious passing situations.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he won't start early, but will see lots of action. so will mclendon. i wouldn't doubt both of them on 3rd and short. we have horses now to mix it up all sorts of ways on the front and now at LB. two good picks for the defense. they have added speed on defense. :cool:

8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    With our division having Rice and now Richardson we need a big body in the middle.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We seem to give up a lot of 1st downs on 3rd and long. Don't know the stats but it just feels like the past couple of years our 3rd and long D has been pretty weak thanks to Willie Gay, Ike and company. It could be because our pass rush has been a little anemic compared to a few years ago.

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He will be in a rotation, that is much needed on this DL,
    I hope he can rush the passer? I would like to see a more
    up the field type play from our DL, not sure if this will happen
    but I can hope.