1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Wk. 2... the good, the bad, and the ugly

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Sep 16, 2018.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The good:

1. Ben----- 5 career games of 450+ yds ... NFL record and no turnovers... we still have an elite QB

2. Overall pass blocking ----- justin Houston and Dee ford were non factors for the most part and ben was only sacked once

3. Jesse james ----- for all the talk of using Vance McDonald and finding athletic te's, the outlaw just continues to produce

4. JuJu ----- a monster season is on the way.... makes the tough catches in traffic that a certain former wr that shall remain nameless could never make

The bad:

1. Chris Boswell----- what's wrong with boswell... hopefully, he gets it right quickly

The ugly:

1. Defense ------- There was no silver lining for the defense..... we couldn't cover...we couldn't tackle. We couldn't get to the qb... I could count the pressures on one hand..... the middle of the defense was abused (where were the safeties)....
    Even the ff the defense generated was a result of our lack of tackling skills, and the safety was the result of a boneheaded play call by the chiefs' coaches

2. And speaking of coaches..... where were the in game adjustments.... yes, pat mahomes is and will be a very good qb, but for him to look like he was facing a D3 defense and no changes being made, save for a few substitutions is unacceptable..... if this is the standard now, then some heads need to roll..... side note: 10 penalties points once again to the lack of discipline that I've screamed about for the last few seasons

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. kirk d smith

kirk d smith Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018

3. kirk d smith

kirk d smith Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Simply put it time to Fire Coaches just as you said the defense is PATHETIC

4. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Not only what's up with Boswell, but most kickers. Cleve missed 2 FG and 2 XP, and Minn kicker was 0-3 including a 35 yard kick to win in OT.

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I can't argue any of that. Boswell's struggles are particularly disturbing. Part of that is if he makes the try in overtime Week 1, the Steelers are 1-1 and it would be a little easier to dismiss today's debacle. Part is that it is impossible to trust him right now and that is a killer.

Run blocking has to be in there with the bad. Conner had nowhere to go most of the time. Of course, he only carried it eight times, which isn't nearly enough, but the offensive line definitely doesn't get a pass on today's failure. The few times they did run, they weren't effective, and they struggled badly picking up delayed blitzes. (Perhaps some of that was on Conner?) Roethlisberger was only sacked once, but he was pressured into bad throws often.

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good: Ben

Bad: Defense

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Good: It's only week 2
    Bad: it's week 2 and we don't have a W yet

Ugly: Terrell Suggs

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Only got to see the last half of the 4th quarter but on the radio it sound like a broken record, touchdown KC, and Ben throws another high ball to a wide open receiver, and another shanked punt.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Well at least Boz isn't out assaulting defenseless paper towels dispensers at Sheetz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017

11. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    We are in bad bad shape boys and girls. I would say a loss Monday night means heads roll???

12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Ben had a good game because we abandoned any modicum of a game plan after going down 21-0. Our records in these shootouts are not good. If you are good, don't have two 3 and out to start the game

13. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Good- anybody playing the Steelers

Bad- defense

14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That Mahomes looks like the truth. He's been playing at an MVP level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Good: Ben looked Elite again. Looked in full command of the offense.
    Juju is a beast and needs to be in the mix more. If he can continue to put up these types of numbers, teams will be screwed trying to double team both him AND Brown.
    Conner continues to impress me. That catch he made on the sideline that was ultimately out of bounds was amazing, especially when you factor in he's a RB.
    One bright spot for the D, the safety
    James looks like a man fighting to be the #1 TE, and should be

Bad: As was said, Boswell. I hope he can figure it out quickly, I really like the guy.
    Brown throwing a diva fit on the sideline.
    We're 0-1-1. Not where we expected, but not end of season either

Ugly
    The Defense. Did the starters even play today?? What a joke.
    Coaching. I'm SO sick of hearing that Tomlin has never had a losing record. The guy is out coached on a regular basis. If he didn't inherit Ben and a pretty stout D, he never would have won a Super Bowl and gone to a second. Why are the Steelers so incapable of making the same ingame adjustments that other teams seem to be able to make!?
    Heinz Field nowhere near full for the home opener. Seeing all those empty seats is embarrassing

16. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    The coaches screwed the pooch all game with bad call's and bad decisions.
    The Defense was confused, inept and just downright atrocious.
    Special teams were also very poor with a highlight of Boswell continuing to miss some kicks. But he wasn't the only problem. Not good. Not good at all.

Big Ben and Co did just about everything we could have asked out of them with only some very poorly thrown long passes and very questionable play calls at times marring the performance...Oh. And not scoring even more points than our pitiful D gave up.

I'd like to say that we have room for improvement but even if everyone was 100% healthy on D I don't think it would have made too much difference. And healthy players wouldn't have made any difference when it comes to poor coaching and, yeah, I'm finally starting to come around to the dark side and admit that Tomlin sucks.

Because he sucked big time today. No adjustments, no sense in his decision making and no passion whatsoever.

17. rutan74

rutan74 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Before anyone gets all excited by Ben, I hate to be a wet blanket, but the Chiefs pass defense is right up there with the Steelers. They gave up 450 last week to the Chargers. Ben throwing 60 times is not good. Then once you are down by 3 TD's you have to throw. Way to many balls over the receivers heads to me. He missed a few big ones to Brown that were easy TD's. So, although he had a good game on paper, I'm still not there in calling him elite.

About Boz. You have to remember that kickers ARE going to miss at times. Granted he is off a bit but I would not get to excited about it just yet. The main thing with kickers is that if they miss a couple, it tends to go to their head and affect their confidence. Our punter is the one I would be worried about. Boz gets a pass from me right now seeing how clutch he has been over the last few years.

As for the sh*tstains on defense, they are diaper wipes at best. Regression every year since Troy retired. Now the chickens have come home to roost and it is not going to be pretty. We have no defense. Watt is the only guy I would keep or have any confidence in at all. He is the only guy that seems to be playing.

With this class of clowns including Tomlin and Butler, we could be in the running for a top 5 pick. Knowing this group they would use that 5th pick on a punter. Tomlin's time is up. Time to move on.

rutan

18. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Throwing for 3 TD's and running one in is pretty dang good. The fact that he can still sling the rock around like he does is impressive. Not elite? Few would agree with you. He's in the top five easy.

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben belongs in the bad and good, too many high throws.

20. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Ah come on, really? After this performance let down today, how anyone can come away with "Ben needs to be better" is beyond me. Any lesser QB would have had 1/3 less yards, at least 3 picks, and... oh yeah, given us at least 14 less pts. That's just an apologist standpoint.

Our defense is a joke. Plain and simple.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Good. I woke to another day on this planet.

The Bad. I skipped getting a bunch of stuff done today in lieu of watching an amateur team play an embarrassing game.

The Ugly. My FF defense is the Steelers.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mine was the Vikings and I kept Jesse James on the bench too. But I'm still ahead.

23. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The REALLY Ugly - you probably need some therapy to determine why you'd ever use our D as your FF team. Seriously.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Good:
    Ben
    JuJu
    Jesse
    Conner
    The Bad:
    AB being a diva
    Hilton
    The Ugly:
    Boswell he gets a new contract and turns into Josh Scobee :facepalm:
    The defense
    The defensive coaching staff

• Like Like x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Ben becomes elite after they're down by 3 scores. He overthrew Washington on the first play of the game, should have been up 7-0 right there, instead 3 and out. Next drive Ben fumbles the snap on 3rd down, panics and throws it out of bounce. 3 and out. Next drive, Ab is open down the sideline, Ben overthrows him. Next drive (down 21-0), KC's D scores after stripping Ben, by some miracle it's called back, now Ben's ready to settle down and get something going. He's the streakiest QB I've ever seen.