1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 30th pick in the 2017 draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Great year to have an extra pick in the early rounds. That 2nd pick in the 3rd is nice.

2. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    IMO if he's there the steelers pick Lawson. If he is not I think they pick Derek Rivers.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If they do that, IMO they are massively going need over best player available, or even best player available at a position of need. I don't see either of those guys as first rounders (Lawson, fringe, if it weren't for all of the medical red flags), more like mid to late second rounders. There will be someone there much higher ranked on our boards, whether its OLB, CB, TE, DL, or whatever.

Course, I didn't see Burns coming, so what the hell do I know?

4. SanDiegoSteel

SanDiegoSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I agree I dont think anyone else takes Rivers in the first but the steelers met with him twice already and looking at his tape he looks like the typical steelers outside LB. Honestly after last yr I wouldnt be surprised if they went TE, WR, or CB again in Rd 1.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Heard a interview with Ryan Anderson on WFAN NY and he was asked what team he would prefer to play for and he said us.....I might be a bigger fan than most. I just think he's a football player that won't wow you with combine numbers but he gets it and is more of a instinct player. If we are looking at Lawson so heavily I think RA should be in the discussion....I know the draft "experts" don't rate him that high at 30 but imo I like him better than Lawson.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    TJ Watt is who I want based on the need.

Otherwise... BPA has to be Obi Melifonwu.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you know for some reason i have been having this feeling about anderson being our pick. don't know why but it seems he's flying under that radar for most. i wish he had better numbers but he's a solid dude. i hope not but just this strange feeling.

i also know we need a guy but we should be much better just because cam heyward is back up front. our pass rush was hurt by him being out. it wasn't just needing a LB, he will help make the LB'ers better. :cool:

8. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I'm all in on Adoree Jackson. He and Artie can finally give our CBs some much needed swag. Plus, he can return punts relieve AB of that duty.

9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He's a sleeper pick for us at 1:30, I would think as well. Would not be upset with that pick depending on who is on the board.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You forgot that he can also be the 3rd string QB, punter coach and train Luke to resist Darth Vader and blow up the Death Star. Joking aside, Obi is a terrific downhill safety. His play against the run - outstanding. His play breaking on short passes and tackling the catch - very good. Deep zone instincts - work in progress, but strong long-run potential. Corner - not sure what you're seeing there other than H/W/S. Linebacker - maybe in sub packages, but not a true LB without gaining bulk and strength to handle blockers (which he struggles with). I think pegging him as a corner and LB is getting a little bit carried away with the H/W/S thing. Just my view based on tape and seeing him in person several times. Yeah, he has the physical tools to do a lot - in theory. In actuality, there's not much on tape that shows him as anything but a really good safety who is at his best moving downhill toward the action. Would I take him at #30? Maybe, but I would take him with a view that he will be a great downhill-playing safety, and anything else is gravy that I wouldn't count on. If I took him, it wouldn't be to have him roam deep while Davis plays near the box. It would be to have both of them eventually be interchangeable.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Exactly.

Mike Zimmer employs a similar strategy with Harrison Smith and Andrew Sendajo.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think "eventually" is the key word. He can step in Day 1 as a traditional strong safety and be very effective, but would need a great camp and preseason to be a better option than Mitchell at free safety on Day 1.

13. StillHERNation

StillHERNation Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I thinkso too, but I hope we get him and put him right next to Shazier.