1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

With the 25th pick in the 2016 NFL

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Badboy212, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Pittsburgh Steelers select? Been debating on this for weeks, and IMO, if he's there at 25 it will be W Jax3. Makes too much sense, he's tall, good size, fast as hell, good hands, and can play in a zone or man up coverage. All the talking heads are leaning towards him, and I agree. HOWEVER, there is no guarantee he makes it to 25, and there are a few players that will shake up the 1st round by falling. So, if Jax3 is not there we will trade out of the 1st, get an extra two picks and go from there. Colbert said something the other day about taking 2nd round talents in the 1st, and at 25 that's a thin line. So its William Jackson III................what say you?

2. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If we stay at #25, Karl Joseph. If we move down, Andrew Billings.

3. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011
    Karl Joseph looks a Steeler. He may lead the league in fines by year two

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    They will take one of the top 3 corners if they are available. I think there will be a few trades that shake up the draft order, so it is very difficult to predict who will be available when the Steelers pick. I think the Browns will look to move down again, and the Titans want to move up for one of the top tackles. The Myles Jack situation will be interesting as some teams, the Giants for one, have taken Jack off their draft board.

One potential trade that concerns me is the Panthers moving up to select a corner. One likely trade partner would be the Bengals, drafting just ahead of the Steelers. The Panthers would select Jackson, and the Bengals could still get a wide receiver at #30. If that happens, I would like to see the Steelers try to move back, perhaps with Denver. At 31, the Steelers could select Artie Burns and would have additional picks in the lower rounds.

Here's an out of the box scenario . . . what if the Steelers trade next year's number one as part of a package to move way up? I don't know how far they would have to go, and such a move would be risky, but the Roethlisberger window is closing, and a "win now" attitude may prompt such a move.

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Andrew Billings or Karl Joseph. Otherwise, trade down to acquire more picks.

6. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    WJ3 if he's there. If he's not and Joseph is, then Joseph. Entirely possible both are not there, in which case they likely trade down. Keanu Neal is something of a darkhorse.

7. SteelaFanatic

SteelaFanatic Member

Jan 19, 2016
    WJ3, Karl Joseph and Andrew Billings are the only names I wanna hear being called at #25 tonight.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    No way should we be trading next year's number one to move up. The only player I'd advocate doing that is Ramsey and there's no way 25 this year and 32 next year is going to get us to number 3... For a franchise that does particularly well drafting in the first round, you don't use an asset like that in that manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I would say in order: WJIII, Karl Joseph, then Andrew Billings depending on who's available.

If they get Karl Joseph in the first round, they have the 5th year option which may ease the sting of him missing the first half of the year possibly.

10. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I just hope the Skins don't take Joseph at 21. I've been hearing they are very interested.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Karl Joseph.

His injury will scare away enough GM's that he'll be there at #25. Heath Miller scenario for us all over again.

12. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I like your optimism.

13. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If Apple or WJax3 are still there then that will be the pick. If not, its hard to say: maby a DT or Safety or Alexander.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

For me, even after Terrence Knighton got released, Washington was looking for secondary help. Just because the likes of Josh Norman helps solidify their corner back position does not necessitate them from picking Joseph. In addition, keep in mind that this is a LUDICROUSLY deep interior defensive lineman class; rivaling that of the 2014 wide receiving class on paper in my opinion. Washington can afford to look else for a stud run stuffer such as Austin Johnson from Penn State. After realizing this mid-February, I had Washington pick Karl Joseph. Not only can Karl heal, Washington can afford to wait for him to return to peak physical form and mold him in a year or so. Pittsburgh does not have that luxury as we need an impact player right now; regardless of position.

In addition, I am glad you brought this scenario up for multiple reasons. Kevin Colbert already stated that this class of secondary players is deep. Granted, an impact safety like Joseph would be nice, but why not have a reliable and ready, plug 'n play starter like Justin Simmons out of Boston College? Outside of his explosiveness, not too much stands out. However, one thing he is better than most are giving him credit for; consistency. He can be a solid contributor Day one for Pittsburgh. For my second reason, Steve McClendon's spot still needs filled. While this is a deep interior lineman class, Billings will not be available at 58. Drafting Javon Hargreave would make a ton of sense whoever Pittsburgh picks at 25 if it is not Billings, but taking the most "elite" prospect available has always served Pittsburgh well; a further reinforcement due to the fact that Pittsburgh has been the NFL's best drafting team since '96 and own the NFL's best winning percentage since the merger happened in 1970. For my final statement, keep in mind that, while a secondary player is needed, Pittsburgh builds its defenses different from other NFL teams. While some teams, like the Dolphins or Jets will acquire for a need; sometimes ignoring a prospects draft grade; other teams like Pittsburgh and Arizona are usually the only team who will take the "Best Player Available" approach; more so Arizona in recent years but otherwise both utilize it. The way defenses are playing in cover 2 or cover 3 will more than likely mean that William Jackson III is not going to fall to Pittsburgh. As we have already stated regarding Karl Joseph, Washington can afford to wait with while drafting a solid plug 'n play run stuffer later on in the draft. For Pittsburgh, there is a good chance that Andrew Billings will likely be the last of their sure fire options considering the declining value of nose tackles and how NFL offenses are using more 3, 4, 5 wide receiving sets and sub packages more than ever; the new age receiving tight ends no less.

For me, Andrew Billings has been my mock pick for Pittsburgh since mid-February. Granted, if Karl Joseph falls... then Karl it is. Either player would help greatly. However, considering that Ben is not getting any younger and our window is closing, an impact ready defender is required. If taking that defensive line from great to arguably the best in the NFL is what it takes to get to the stairway to seven, then I will have zero issue with Pittsburgh getting Andrew Billings.

15. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011

16. Badboy212

Oct 25, 2011
    Good stuff. It's no secret they like Billings. He's eaten a lot of free food while talking to the staff.

17. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  18. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Unless Hargreaves falls to us, give me Kendall Fuller or Karl Joseph.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My official prediction is Joseph

20. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yep, I'm saying Joseph too

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think it will be:

Keanu Neal

Want it to be:

Andrew Billings

23. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm thinking Joseph, but watch it be Spence, Jaran Reed or Nkemdiche.

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

I think Neal as well....I think I want Fuller now.

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011