1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Ste

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mrn6, Jan 9, 2012.

1. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Re: with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh

I would be happy with either Glenn or Hightower. Markell Martin, Safety, in second round.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Bell could thump and hit with the best of them, but that was freakish because of his size. I think he was only like 6'1", 230 lbs. He was very very fast. I don't see Hightower being able to run like Bell could.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Any Chance Barron falls to the Steelers?

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

You talking about that S from Alabama?

If so...I've seen him at the end of the 1st rd and into the 2nd throughout various mocks.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Yes the safety, I don't know much about the guy other than we share the same last name and it would be kinda cool to have a Steelers jersey with my name on the back without having to have it customized. Lame I know but I am like that some times.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

O.K. now that BA is gone I have 1 guy that is a must get in round #1....We will have to trade up a few I think ,but I have been watching some college tape and was looking at Luck from Stanford to see if he should really be the #1 pick???? Well during that process I noticed a absolute stud by the name of David Decastro....

So I then started watching him on pass plays he is a great pass blocker,,,then I watched how he did in run blocking...This is when I really got pumped because Stanford runs Zone and Man blocking schemes they also pull the Guards a lot.....David looked great in every phase,,other Teams will see it so he goes around 15 or so I think......

We need this guy because he helps no matter who the OC is and what style we go to.....If we go in house I hope Kug gets it,,would mean more Man blocking with PA IMO....And I do know from experience that man blocking opens up better passing to the TE'S....

Anyway back on subject going to start watching him very close and it's time to start pimping him......

7. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Well, there is no doubt in my mind that if Decastro is there, they take him. Even if it means moving up a couple of slots. To me getting a Gilbert/Decastro/Pouncey combo for the left side of the line may set us up there for the next 5+ years.

That being said, I would be totally shocked if he was still there at 24. In theory it is the offenses turn to get the #1 pick. That I think puts an interesting twist on things when you realize that the philosophy of our O may be changing. If it does, there may be needs there that we don't quite see. For instance, maybe the new OC will want to do more 2 TE stuff like NE does or Carolina does. When you look on paper you see, Oline, NT, LB, S, CB. Those are our weaknesses, but you never know how the FO sees things.

8. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

With a list that long, I'm pretty sure our list overlaps with the FO's. A new OC doesn't get to make the draft pick, he just gets to voice his opinion. And although there's been a minor pattern over the last few years, I'm pretty sure Colbert is NOT taking that into account. They'll take who is best if it's a spot they need. And although a new toy like a TE, WR, RB, or DE is always nice, we are overflowing with talent and depth at those positions, and I will guarantee that we don't take any of those in the first round. With gaping holes as big as ours (secondary and ILB, but mostly OL), the FO knows what it has to do and will find a suitable BPA.

It's so early, and guys could go up and down by 20 spots still (remember when Da'Quan Bowers was a sure thing for #1 overall to Carolina?). But right now I'm hoping DeCastro makes it into the late teens and we trade up and nab him. Then use our 2nd on BPA between ILB/CB/S/NT. For the other guard spot, I'm willing to wait for a later round, or pick up an old vet, or stick with our scrubs one more year (only if we get DeCastro).

9. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

I mostly agree with this:
    "1. OL
    2. ILB
    3. NT (make sure he has pass rush abilities)
    4. OL
    5. S ( make sure he has cornerback like skills)
    6. CB
    7. OLB"

My only change would be to move CB to #2 or #3.

10. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

1 - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
    2 - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
    3 - Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin

It's a Bucky Badger draft! :D

Ok, so I'm only really serious about my first pick, and slightly serious about my second, and not serious at all about the third, but I think it'd be pretty cool to see a 1-2-3 combo from the same team. I really don't know much about the guys past the first round until PFW puts out their draft guide written by Nolan Nawrocki. He does all the scouting for me and I just read his scouting review capsules; he's pretty spot-on and saves me a lot of time.

I bet this first three would have NB's approval!

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

maybe they just throw a clinker into our thinking and go.....................

1. w.r. kendell wright another playmaker in the same mold as the young money crew. try to cover this group of receivers defenses.
    2. fs/ss markelle martin a needed playmaker at safety to fill will allens wasted spot. will eventually take over at one of the two spots before long.
    3. og/ot senio kelemete mobile strong guy we need at LG, next to pouncey and in a pinch could jump to tackle for a game or two if the injury bug plagues our starters. has the skills for it.
    4. ilb james-micheal johnson well rounded ilb. fast,strong,plays coverage and the run equally well. good size to speed ratio.
    5. og joe looney another good mobile guard to put on the other side of pouncey. strong and mobile threesome in the middle now. could work in at center in case of injury.
    6. ilb jerry franklin see round 4. will add the speed we need on defense from side to side with these two and pass coverage.
    7. cb asa jackson nice looking young corner, good speed and slot coverage ability. a guy carnell could mold. has talent to be worked with and speed needed.

a couple of priority udfa's at NT and we could be in good shape for some years to come. :cool:

13. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

mac, what good does another fast WR do us? If that's the pick, I will flip. The bleep. Out.

14. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I haven't seen these guys play yet. How comfortable are you with Konz switching to guard and being able to start day one? How athletic is he?

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

we don't have one thats above a 3rd rounder. not that it matters but just saying. he is a dynamic playmaker. we may only be able to keep wallace around for one more year as a priority FA. hines may have one more in him , then most assuredly gone. sanders is not on the field alot beacause of injury, that's an uncertainty. battle doesn't play and is no spring chicken. we don't know if cotchery will stay either and he's not young. after next year we don't know if we can retain wallace. so we do have a spot for a big time playmaker at that position if we lose any of these other guys within the next year. it is a possibility. :cool:

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I don't need to tell you that Wallace and Brown would both be first rounders if those drafts were held again. Probably top 10... And they are both playmakers. Sanders would go sooner as well. So it sounds like you're saying, "Well, yeah we don't need one because we have a bunch of great players, but what if they get hurt or leave someday? Then we'll have an opening!" Besides Ward, all of those things are either a "maybe" or a "not likely," and none of them start until after next year.

And Mendenhall, Redman and Dwyer could all die in a car accident together, but I don't think we should take a running back just in case. We have more than one critical position where we have no one NOW. No FA talk, no retirees-to-be, just a bunch of terrible players. We have no plan for this year, or next year, or beyond a bunch of potential free agency issues. You skipped all the problems we have now and went straight to a position where we're solid gold, but beyond a couple years may have potential issues. We seriously might as well draft a QB, RB or OLB.

Anyway, I hope you aren't suggesting you hope we get a WR. I hope we don't, and if we do I will run out into the street and start digging with my hands.

17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

I'm comfortable that he can make that switch. He's a capable pulling center and can get to the second level and lock-on his target. Not a pile-driving run blocker, but able to effectively take his man out of the play. More of a technician than a mauler. Tough, played in the recent Rose Bowl with a bum ankle. Reminds me of Pouncey. Haven't focused much on Zeitler as I view him as a plodder and just a slight upgrade over the plodders that we have.

Here's a highlight/lowlight video of Konz from a couple of games during his sophomore year:

[youtube:3r0y80d9]SPMVloAiCTA[/youtube:3r0y80d9]

18. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I'm comfortable that he can make that switch. He's a capable pulling center and can get to the second level and lock-on his target. Not a pile-driving run blocker, but able to effectively take his man out of the play. More of a technician than a mauler. Tough, played in the recent Rose Bowl with a bum ankle. Reminds me of Pouncey. Haven't focused much on Zeitler as I view him as a plodder and just a slight upgrade over the plodders that we have.

Here's a highlight/lowlight video of Konz from a couple of games during his sophomore year:

[youtube][/youtube][/quote:3610ju3j]
    That's what I'm looking for. I think I've had it with maulers. They're overrated in run blocking and usually suck in pass protection. I want someone good with his hands and good with his feet.

Man, I don't like seeing the positives together followed by the negatives. I'm like, "This guy's amazing! ...Man, this guy is garbage!" I'd rather see them in cronological order. Not that it's your fault. Thanks for the tape. It was nice to see Cam Heyward making a play or two!

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

actually if you read what i typed, i said (they) meaning the steelers, might throw a clinker at us. thus picking a playmaking wr.

yes we do have a FA that played LT for us. we also have one that plays every position on the line (essex). colon hasen't played meaningful football in 2 going on 3 years. i know he's fully healed as you say, but he also was last year too.

as you know we rarely play rookies, so waiting until the year we need a player for a position is a year to late around here. we do have an opening with battles spot. ward may or may not be back. sanders is so iffy in his first two years. cotchery is a FA this year and there is no guarentee he will be back. that doesn't sound all that golden to me. not to mention O-LINE is the deepest in the draft in many years. there are alot of really good players pretty deep in this years bunch.

i want a lineman more then anyone and have preached that for years. i hope gilbert can hold up at LT and colon can stay healthy. decastro is a good player, i don't dispute that. i have always hated kemoeatu. i however wouldn't use our draft picks to move up to get him, and no i wouldn't mind a playmaker like wright on this team. i don't see players close to him farther down in the draft like i do good guards that are available. that's what i'm saying. by the way you might need a permit for where you start digging in the street remember. :stogie: :cool:

20. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

These are Not my picks....Someone erred in their cutting and pasting...My 2012 STEELERS first 3 picks..

Pick 24..Cordy Glenn G Georgia
    Pick 56..Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington(Hope hes still here at 56..If he is and we DONT take him....Big Mistake!!)
    Pick 87..Nate Porter T Bosie ST.

Those are my predicted first 3 picks..Sans trades

I am most likely way off...But we will see....anyone else?

21. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

WR in the first round? get off our teams board Matt Millen LMAO JK but no way we go WR

22. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

These are Not my picks....Someone erred in their cutting and pasting...My 2012 STEELERS first 3 picks..

Pick 24..Cordy Glenn G Georgia
    Pick 56..Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington(Hope hes still here at 56..If he is and we DONT take him....Big Mistake!!)
    Pick 87..Nate Porter T Bosie ST.

Those are my predicted first 3 picks..Sans trades

I am most likely way off...But we will see....anyone else?[/quote]
    Yeah, my bad. I think I accidently erased one of those (/quote) things so it made it look like they were your picks instead of GB_Steel's.

This early I only think about who I want. I don't guess who we'll get until way, way closer.

EDIT: whatever I did didn't fix it. I will stop quoting this thread, because I'm making it worse!! :cry:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i just think dallas will snatch decastro early. konz, is not bad but i think it's still to high for him. he is not in the elite center league, and we don't need a project. NT , is way to early for this bunch. we don't really need a 1st round tackle. will the other guards be reaches this early? so, i could see the steelers doing this. they don't seem to put a real premium on O-linemen or do very well at picking them for the most part, unless they are clearly top dogs like pouncey. :cool:

24. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

i just think dallas will snatch decastro early. konz, is not bad but i think it's still to high for him. he is not in the elite center league, and we don't need a project. NT , is way to early for this bunch. we don't really need a 1st round tackle. will the other guards be reaches this early? so, i could see the steelers doing this. they don't seem to put a real premium on O-linemen or do very well at picking them for the most part, unless they are clearly top dogs like pouncey. :cool:[/quote:32x9hqhf]
    You might be right about the guards available. #24 is probably too low to get DeCastro, possibly too high for Konz and a nose tackle. But still, a WR? They will have plenty of options better than that. Like trading up, trading down, and taking another position such as LB and DB...

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

You might be right about the guards available. #24 is probably too low to get DeCastro, possibly too high for Konz and a nose tackle. But still, a WR? They will have plenty of options better than that. Like trading up, trading down, and taking another position such as LB and DB...[/quote:3rfxcrpv]

if the steelers do hold to their draft ways , that they have held to loyaly since MT has been here, it's the offenses turn for the first rounder. they have never waivered from this nomatter what the need so far. timmons, mendy,hood,pouncey,heyward, offense. maybe glenn is the choice, but i wouldn't put anything past their love of skill guys. :cool: