1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Ste

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mrn6, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Re: with the 24th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh

STELLERS SELECT .........From The University of Florida State...... Offensive tackle...Zebrie Sanders!!!!!

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

you can have him in the 2nd

3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

I see two things a trade up or a trade down. I excpect a trade down. They have various needs and could use more 2 or 3rd round picks. Plus think about it, where do your really good players come from. Rounds 2 through 5.

4. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Under the BA scheme we need a LT,RG, and at least another BU Center type......We need to stop drafting Road Graders when the system is Zone we need to go Athletic on the OL.....We also need at least 1 Big,Strong WR who has some speed as well....

And with our current Offensive scheme we need a bunch of different types on D.....We need a smaller faster NT who can drop into coverage....We need at least 3 LB'S who can cover RB'S and TE'S 1 on 1.....We need at least 1 or 2 CB'S who can fly around the field and make plays maybe we have those in Brown and Allen.....We do need a upgade at BU for the Safety spot......

So as you can see we need like 5 or 6 1st. round Talents to make the current system work,,,,there is no way we will get this done .....We will be lucky to win 10 games next year..... Which is sad as we have enough skill to win 13 games plus if the system was changed ,,,,so I will expect nothing great until after BA and Ben are gone......

5. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Whatever we do we need speed on D.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

You're not suggesting we need three MORE linebackers, are you? You just mean 3 LBs that can cover total, right? Because Timmons can cover almost every RB and LB, and Harrison and Farrior can cover the "traditional" types (no Sproles or Davis). I agree that we could use an upgrade at Farrior's spot, but that will (should, at least) happen as soon as he's replaced, which is coming anyway. No way they select a LB for that spot that won't be coverage-ready.

I agree about drafting more athletic types for the OL. Faneca was an athletic freak, and I'd like to see someone with more speed, agility, and technique in that spot, even if it means sacrificing power. The Stanford OG would be a great fit here, I think. Pouncey is in that athletic mold (although, a freak like Faneca, we don't sacrifice power with him). I think Gilbert is a great "compromise" between the road grader the Steelers love and the athlete you want. He isn't as athletic as a lightweight could be, and not as strong as a pure power guy, but he's got enough of both to do well at everything. That's why I like him. He can move in pass protection and still get a decent push in the running game. So the Steelers may be coming around... hopefully they listen to you on this one. I think they've gotten the message about needing better athletes for pass protection, given their selections the last two years.

If we get a WR this year, I hope it's in the 7th round. I'll be just fine if we don't get one at all.

I'm psyched to see Brown and Allen after a whole offseason. Hopefully they are healthy for all or most of it.

7. SteelerNDC

SteelerNDC Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

Go big with OL. Cordy Glenn. 6'5" and about 350lbs (his playing weight is around 340). Very athletic for a big man and played LT in the SEC (various guard positions earlier in his college career) so he has good feet and is very versatile and would play guard for us. He wouldn't be used much in a pulling sense but would do very well against the bigger interior linemen, which is where everyone except Pouncey struggles with on the inside of our line. I would also go OT in the second round. Stacks likely will not be an option for much of next year and who knows about Colon. We only have 1 starting quality tackle right now and that is Gilbert.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

We are set at tackle. Colon will comeback strong and we have Gilbert. J Scott is the back up.

We basically need another Faneca at guard. Draft a big time guard who can start day one, not one who we cut and winds up on the Buffalo Bills a few days later.

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I hope that in some round, probably the 4th that the Steelers select:

Terrance Ganaway from Baylor University - RB - 6-0- 240 lbs - SR - DeKalb, Texas/DeKalb HS/Texarkana College
    This kid is a Bettis type but faster. He was the mvp in Baylor's bowl gamw with about 204 yars rushing, even with RG III the Heisman winner having an otstanding game.

If the Steelers can trade Mendenhall and get 2 extra picks for him, then maybe they can get Ganaway as a 2nd pick in the third or fourth rounds from the Mendenhall trade. He is the perfect back to work with Redman and Batch.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

set at tackle? hardly. we haven't seen enough of gilbert on the money side and colon hasen't played meaningful football in over two years. we need a starter quality LT. we may have our guards if essex truely does dedicate himself to coming into camp in shape as he says he will. the light went on for him. he has made a commitment to want to start. it hit a nerve when he didn't come into camp with the rest of the guys and was out of football. i think he's going to be a different player this year. colon needs to make the move inside. gilbert needs to stay on the right side. i could see datko, ( an in shape essex), pouncey, colon, gilbert as a pretty good front. i would also draft a mobile guard to have in the wings. this would give us two backups to slide into LT (gilbert and an in shape essex) if needed. this could give us one nasty line. :cool:

11. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011

Not unless we trade up like 25 spots after our first pick. Now way is he avaliable to us at approx pick 50.

12. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Manti Te'o (ILB) Notre Dame- if he comes out -or-
    Vontaze Burfict (ILB) Arizona State

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011

OG Cordy Glenn (Georgia) 6'5 350

We have to fix the O-line NOW. No more messing around. I want 2 O-line picks in the first 3 picks.

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011

I agree unless we can get the LB from Bama. And of course, FA can always alter a draft course. Not that we're ever really active in FA...

15. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011

I agree unless we can get the LB from Bama. And of course, FA can always alter a draft course. Not that we're ever really active in FA...[/quote:5nbpaz4r]

I would have no problem with Donta Hightower from Alabama. When I rank my top 30 players, I'm sure Hightower will be on top of Glenn. I just think that NEED has start to outweight BPA. I am usually of that mindset anyway. I really think Bouchette's article today really hit the nail on the head. OUr defense is good and we have been re-stocking the shelves for years now. Its time to transform our offense into a Top 10 type of offense. We have the QB. We have the WRs. We have the TE. We have all the RBs we need. We need Interior offensive line help.

One guy to keep an eye on in FA is Carl Nicks from New Orleans. I don't think the Saints are going to be able to keep him with the contract they will have to give Drew Brees. I know Nicks is going to command big money. It was a mistake for him to ever fall to the 5th round. That is one alot of GMs got wrong. I would love to get my hands on him but the money probably won't be there.

16. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I agree unless we can get the LB from Bama. And of course, FA can always alter a draft course. Not that we're ever really active in FA...[/quote:2ogk7ml1]

I would have no problem with Donta Hightower from Alabama. When I rank my top 30 players, I'm sure Hightower will be on top of Glenn. I just think that NEED has start to outweight BPA. I am usually of that mindset anyway. I really think Bouchette's article today really hit the nail on the head. OUr defense is good and we have been re-stocking the shelves for years now. Its time to transform our offense into a Top 10 type of offense. We have the QB. We have the WRs. We have the TE. We have all the RBs we need. We need Interior offensive line help.

One guy to keep an eye on in FA is Carl Nicks from New Orleans. I don't think the Saints are going to be able to keep him with the contract they will have to give Drew Brees. I know Nicks is going to command big money. It was a mistake for him to ever fall to the 5th round. That is one alot of GMs got wrong. I would love to get my hands on him but the money probably won't be there.[/quote:2ogk7ml1]
    No way on this planet Pittsburgh springs for the money the top-rated G in the game will command.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Vontaze Burfict

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

One guy to keep an eye on in FA is Carl Nicks from New Orleans. I don't think the Saints are going to be able to keep him with the contract they will have to give Drew Brees. I know Nicks is going to command big money. It was a mistake for him to ever fall to the 5th round. That is one alot of GMs got wrong. I would love to get my hands on him but the money probably won't be there.[/quote:3bl2brpc]
    No way on this planet Pittsburgh springs for the money the top-rated G in the game will command.[/quote:3bl2brpc]
    not to sure they will have much money to play with at all. :cool:

19. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

DraftCountdown has us taking Kevin Zeitler in their updated mock. I'd rather have his linemate, Peter Konz, who goes to the Giants at #29 in this mock. Konz was Wisconsin's center for the past few years and I think could move to LG in a pinch. A bigger, better Legursky.

At this point he's my target and it probably won't change.

20. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I was reading about Zeitler the other day, and from what I read it didn't look like there was any danger of him going in the first round. It looked like they had him going mid-2nd. Assuming DeCastro goes out of trade range, I was hoping to get Zeitler with our 2nd pick. Bums me out a bit if his stock is already this high.

21. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

I think you're pretty safe in hoping to get Zeitler in the 2nd. I think his combine performance will drop his value down to where it should be, which I think is round 2 or 3. I could be talking completely out of my ass though, and have been proven wrong way too many times regarding draft talk.

22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011

I think you're pretty safe in hoping to get Zeitler in the 2nd. I think his combine performance will drop his value down to where it should be, which I think is round 2 or 3. I could be talking completely out of my ass though, and have been proven wrong way too many times regarding draft talk.[/quote:2e1krwwh]

GB - I assume you are a fellow Badgers fan. I agree - I don't know where Zeitler's pub is coming from. IMO, he is not as good as Konz this year, and quite frankly, I don't think he was as good as John Moffitt either. Going back even further, I probably liked Kraig Urbik alot more coming out than I do Zeitler. Now, if we went CB or ILB in the 1st round and he was available in the 2nd round I would definitely consider it. Konz will be a beast in the NFL though.

23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

I think you're pretty safe in hoping to get Zeitler in the 2nd. I think his combine performance will drop his value down to where it should be, which I think is round 2 or 3. I could be talking completely out of my ass though, and have been proven wrong way too many times regarding draft talk.[/quote:15lfuqfe]

GB - I assume you are a fellow Badgers fan. I agree - I don't know where Zeitler's pub is coming from. IMO, he is not as good as Konz this year, and quite frankly, I don't think he was as good as John Moffitt either. Going back even further, I probably liked Kraig Urbik alot more coming out than I do Zeitler. Now, if we went CB or ILB in the 1st round and he was available in the 2nd round I would definitely consider it. Konz will be a beast in the NFL though.[/quote:15lfuqfe]
    Ideally I'd like to get DeCastro in round 1 and then go DB/ILB in round 2. But without him, I'm leaning more ILB in round 1 and Zeitler in round 2, or Konz if he's available, but I see him going too early for our 2nd pick.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

GB - I assume you are a fellow Badgers fan. I agree - I don't know where Zeitler's pub is coming from. IMO, he is not as good as Konz this year, and quite frankly, I don't think he was as good as John Moffitt either. Going back even further, I probably liked Kraig Urbik alot more coming out than I do Zeitler. Now, if we went CB or ILB in the 1st round and he was available in the 2nd round I would definitely consider it. Konz will be a beast in the NFL though.[/quote:1axi3zuc]
    Ideally I'd like to get DeCastro in round 1 and then go DB/ILB in round 2. But without him, I'm leaning more ILB in round 1 and Zeitler in round 2, or Konz if he's available, but I see him going too early for our 2nd pick.[/quote:1axi3zuc]

with whats been said by art2 we might even have to look at the FB's available. hmmmmmmm. lol :cool:

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Hightower = Kendrell Bell when healthy. We miss that thumper in the middle.Theres no better way to get pressure on the QB than up the middle,in his face. Farrior is old and this will free up Timmons a little more. Hightower is listed at 6'4 258lbs, he's a big boy!